Sign in to follow this  
ww12345

Replacing 1665 Crystal

ww12345

I bought a 1665 SD from Josh at Perfect Clones, and the page said that it takes gen crystal. It looks like it might, but how hard should you have to press to fit it? Also, it appears that it is only held on by a ring that the bezel sits on. Once this comes off, there remains a small lip, but that's it as far as sealing goes.

I have a Clarks Tropic 39 crystal (gen replacement) and have tried to fit it on, but it is stubborn!

Should I force it on? Also, to ensure waterproofness, should I glue it on with UV glue, or is it sufficient with the metal ring and the insane amount of pressure on it?

Edit Update 2-2-11: Replacing the crystal is fairly straightforward in this order (discovered by trial and error, and determination!)

1. Remove bezel

2. Remove bezel retaining ring. This may be done with a lever-style case opener

3. Remove crystal. If glue remains after crystal removal, clean entire base of watch with a cotton swab moistened in MEK or Acetone.

4. Replace with Clarks or GS crystal. I don't know if the gen watches originally came with a crystal seal made of rubber, but I just put my crystal straight onto the case.

5. NOW put the bezel ring on around the outside of the crystal. This is important because I spent 30+ minutes trying to get them both on at once. :boobies:

6. Replace bezel.

After I performed these steps, my watch withstood ocean swimming and hot tubbing!

Edited by ww12345