Sign in to follow this  
Harry_Worth

Panerai display case backs

Harry_Worth

I've stuffed books down the back of my trousers in preparation for raising this question.

Since becoming a member of this site I've discovered Panerai (yes I'd never heard of them before). I've really warmed to them and I'm seeking my first (implying there may be many to follow). The one thing I really don't get is the display case back. I thought these watches had been designed for the Italian Military. Why when they are under heavy shell fire would they want to contemplate the inner workings of their watches. I really like these watches but I keep finding ones I like but why the display case backs - Just seems a tad faux or even Chopard. If I want to see the inner workings I'll get my angle grinder out or shoot the back off with my Beretta! Help me out on this and yes I like to see the mechanical bits of a watch but don't get the permanent display on what appears to be a functional military timepiece!

Ruhck

All 44mm automatic PAMs are solid backed. The only 44mm manuals with display are the 036/111/177 series, the rest are solid. Besides, Panerai watches where only made for the Italian military over 60 years ago, today they're made for selling ..

greg_r

Yup - the vintage models (i.e. the ones that were made for the military) were closed back.

prestigewatchco

Ironic really if the people in the war had the superlume that everyone has there dick out about now on their Panerai they would have had their fucking head shot off

greg_r
:ttiwwop: True enough!