Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

THE NOOBS GUIDE TO THE DSSD: from $88-$420; why?

MikeMcNair
New here, but not to the hobby. This has to be one of the best reviews I have read in a very long time. Sticky for sure.

thanks, i appreciate that. for a few weeks there EVERY THREAD was about a DSSD, so i had to put this together.

myaz

Thanks for all that work.

As seen by an unabashed newbie, this is like a great quick reference guide that points out what general features are available at what price breaks.

If that's all you want, then buy the watch.

However, if you have a love for this horlogerie thing, then it's a launching point to keep digging.

All the information herein is scattered all over the place and I have spent hours and hours jumping around reading hundreds of pages on this forum.

So I truly appreciate this compilation.

kolchak

I have Mary's $335ish 2836 version and just ordered Robert's $249. 2836 for a friend. Been curious about the difference between these two & will post up a comparison & some side by sides when it arrives.

MikeMcNair
I have Mary's $335ish 2836 version and just ordered Robert's $249. 2836 for a friend. Been curious about the difference between these two & will post up a comparison & some side by sides when it arrives.

please do as i will copy it and post it in the first post. this would be very good info to have.

i have mary's 335 version also, and i must say, it is the single best built rep pi have ever had my hands on. it is solid, feels perfect on the wrist, everythign works perfectly, and after adjusting it i lose ~1 second a MONTH. no lie . (well, one second every 27 days) which is pretty fucking amazing. it DID take me a week to get it just right (adjust it, wait 24 hrs and see the dif from my iphones "world clock", reset and wait another 24 hrs, etc. i did this for 5 days, and she's PERFECT now. i could likely adjust out the one second, but things like the weather, how the watch is sitting while at rest (on its face, or back, or side) will inherently cause fluctuations so i am fine for now.

i digress: please post thee comparo. thanks!!!!

sjb

Thanks Mike for a very informative guide,certainly made my mind up that I want one(but not which one as yet!)

Eiderdaus

whats new ?

guitarbiker

Just received a dssd pro hunter pvd 21j from robert , watch is nice @$149 , it has better dial, sapphire and lume than my $88 dssd from lay which is outstanding value and the strap actually feels nicer on this although may be down to the pvd , which by the way doesn't cover the edges of the links, just my opinion. dssd004.jpg

schmooze

Great post, very informative and a pleasure to read . I have purchased a few of these trying to chase down the best available. Now I'm going to scrutinize the ones I have.

I stumbled across RWG and have since ordered 1 each from Mary and BK, I'm looking forward to the feel and comparison. Looks like a there'll be a few of my current DSSD's coming up on the member to member sales. 49 posts to go.

MikeMcNair
Just received a dssd pro hunter pvd 21j from robert , watch is nice @$149 , it has better dial, sapphire and lume than my $88 dssd from lay which is outstanding value and the strap actually feels nicer on this although may be down to the pvd , which by the way doesn't cover the edges of the links, just my opinion. dssd004.jpg

if those had correct 10 bezel, and better pearl, i would be all over them for the cheap. but there is NO compaison from those to the one i have (which is on my brothers wrist right now, and he can afford as many gen's as he could want, but i think i have him hoooked on reps ;) )

2paraxman

great thread i wonder if any one going to do the same about the lastest sub ie in people opinion who sells the closest (sub date) to a gen or has any one done it cos i been away from Rwg for 7 months queen and country and all that shit and i just had a quick gander and couldnt find one

MikeMcNair
great thread i wonder if any one going to do the same about the lastest sub ie in people opinion who sells the closest (sub date) to a gen or has any one done it cos i been away from Rwg for 7 months queen and country and all that shit and i just had a quick gander and couldnt find one

best sub i know of is BK's.

Ohad

Please correct me if I am wrong

I didn't managed to find the 3 layer laser etched "crown" on the sapphire at 6 o'clock in any of the available versions.

I think this etched is only in submariners

Ohad
Please correct me if I am wrong

I didn't managed to find the 3 layer laser etched "crown" on the sapphire at 6 o'clock in any of the available versions.

I think this etched is only in submariners

I am wrong,

Another close look at my DSSD from Tony (best edition, same as Mary).

Amazing that the rep factories are pay attention to details.

MikeMcNair

yeah, it's there on the pricier models....

tough to see, but look closely...........

IMG00052-20110206-2159.jpg

IMG00030-20110206-2147.jpg

and you can see it pretty well in this pic......

lasercrown.jpg

powderfreak

You got my vote for a stick!

downfromtheglen

I find this post to be very helpful so I'm bumping it for the benefit of the many new members that might find it useful. Thanks, Mike!

SevenSevenFifty

Awesome post mike! I'll save up a couple hundred for the ultimate... (gonna be a while x________x )

mbjoer
Just wondering:

Is there a difference between Mary's and Mark's offer, other than then price?

Which one is marks? I'll look at it and tell ya.

Just found this super thread again and found it interesting - even second time around. Thanks!!

Mark is Timesshop.net :http://timesshop.net/product.php?id_product=6423

photog

Excellent reviews. I've paid deposit for the BK DSSD. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Still wish I could find the original SSD before the Deep Sea.

Great read though and excellent pictures!!

MikeMcNair

Picture credits go to ska, although I put a few in here, his were the HOT ones

vfsvfl

Excellent review. I wish I had found this before slogging through all the listings myself to try & figure out what you get for $80 /$149 /$249 /$420 /etc.

I settled on the $149 PVD DSSD from Robert which is excellent. IMHO, it is already close enough to the gen but the I could see stepping up to the better movement at $249. At least for me, beyond that it's pearls before swine. (Although I will admit to understanding a LOT more since finding this forum.)

WatchMe007
Excellent reviews. I've paid deposit for the BK DSSD. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Still wish I could find the original SSD before the Deep Sea.

Great read though and excellent pictures!!

Just got my BK DSSD and there is no laser etched crown that I can see.

(I was just about to post this. Then I put on 2x magnifiers and got out a flashlight and a loupe.)

I'll be damned. Hilarious. It is really tiny. I am laughing my ass of with glee.

THIS BK DSSD IS AWESOME. Sorry for being so loud.

fragzzone

Awesome information, I've been going through the different DSSDs for a while now. I was wondering if anyone know if these two are the same watch: TimeShop RO0151 and Replicamake RL02008?

pamelo

The price of a watch is determined mainly by the movement, though it's true that the swiss eta movt watches may have better cases and glass than cheap watches. From what i've seen, watches with swiss eta movements are probably worth the climb.

The timeshop rolex gmt2 with swiss eta 2836-2 I have is pretty good quality for $193. I think it's a noobfactory.

If you can get a swiss eta for less than $200, buy it.

Edited by pamelo