Sign in to follow this  
samweezer

What is it about AP Royal Oaks?

samweezer

So this is something that I've been wondering for a bit now, what is it about AP's that everyone likes? I'm not trying to be rude about it I'm just curious because they're not something that agrees with my palette. I'd love input and for this to be a respectable feed.

plankton

They are a fine acquired taste IMO. Amazing watch, the gen.

Left Coast Guy

IMHO, much of the fanfare around high-end watches is the exclusivity of the brands, but the homages of Rolex, Omega and others are so prevalent that you lose some of that wrist appeal. So for the folks that want that eye catching watch from a distance, it needs to be somewhat different in styling. That's why I think Panerai rose to prominence, because it was the first to be different. And likewise, AP has followed the same path -- the port hole design is certainly different and stands out, same with the bracelet style.

On the wrist, other that my FC Diver, I think they are a bit of a pain. They are big and unlike some of the PAMs wear big. Still, I can respect the attention they bring, and along those lines respect the amazing job the rep factories have done in copying the gens. They really are impressive.

Dendo

I think the same question used to be asked a lot about PAMs.

I like APs but not to the point that I need more than two Royal Oaks. To me the numerous variants are not sufficiently different. The same for Hublots and now for me I think one PAM is sufficient.

Lets see how the fad plays out, a couple of years ago PAMs could do no wrong on this forum, now its APs. Not a criticism, just a comment.

Simms

Tastes evolve constantly. I didn't get PAM's a few years ago, now I own 4. its a personal thing

ElvisFreak

oh lord :picard2:

everythingwithmod-eration

Class.

History.

One of three watches inspired by the porthole (with Patek Philippe 5711 and Hublot).

Simplicity with character.

jrlmsla
Tastes evolve constantly. I didn't get PAM's a few years ago, now I own 4. its a personal thing

Completely agree. I hated Panerai when I first got into watches. Thought they were ugly as... Thought the crown guard was overkill at best, hideous at least. Now it seems strange to look at my wrist when I wear something different.

Daywatch

A legendary porthole design, an octagonal bezel with 8 screws, there´s something mechanical, precision-like and refined about it. The reps are have a high quality feel of solidity, they seem better than almost anything else.

Than there´s Le Brassus and the historic watch-thriller:

Mystery Shopper

They are one of the Gerald Genta masterpieces.

samweezer

I guess that all makes sense. When I first started liking watches, I couldn't stand round watches which seems a bit redundant but like I would only get either square or oval shaped watches but now I only wear round ones so I can see that taste evolves over time.

Abe Fromen

I have to agree with the OP. AP is a brand I feel as a WIS I should like, but I just can't. I respect their achievements and heritage, but I'd never have an AP watch on my wrist, rep or gen. Just not my style at all.

greg_r

What is it about Rolex Subs? Boring bloody watch....

;)

:popcorn:

trksh-bzr

I would never leave the house with less than 10-30 APs on me.....

trksh-bzr

7645C3DF-B166-4432-A6B3-768FCA7A9ECD_zpslrm8u8nx.jpg

this is what it is about it :)

solkryssare
:wub:

Robin195959

Is it their infinitely endless similarness?

trksh-bzr

sarcasm sensed. :)

like many brands, there is a strong line going through all the models.

I guerss that's even why they are all called the same name. go figure. :lol:

panerai have the same look across models. same goes for rolex.

Robin195959

Who me? :daffy: 35 yrs come on if it was a car we'd all be Morse or Roy Cropper!!

trksh-bzr

Who me? :daffy: 35 yrs come on if it was a car we'd all be Morse or Roy Cropper!!

I will leave it to sales numbers, and continued price levels to do the argument :)

Robin195959

I will leave it to sales numbers, and continued price levels to do the argument :)

Not much fun in that :giggle:

trksh-bzr

besides, if one thinks that the royal oak hasn't been re-think'ed, I agree, and I'm happy about it.

When Gueit came up with the idea for the beast offshore, back in the beginning of the 90's, noone believed such a large luxury watch coud sell, but it did. just as when Genta drew the original in 20 years before that.

Both times in front, innovative, and dary.

If you are thinking that royal oak is repetition, then just look at the offshores, that's where space for experiments are at.

The VW beetle was made up untill the 90's AFAIR, I guess because they could still sell it in high volume, in south america. same thing.

Robin195959

besides, if one thinks that the royal oak hasn't been re-think'ed, I agree, and I'm happy about it.

When Gueit came up with the idea for the beast offshore, back in the beginning of the 90's, noone believed such a large luxury watch coud sell, but it did. just as when Genta drew the original in 20 years before that.

If you are thinking that royal oak is repetition, then just look at the offshores, that's where space for experiments are at.

The VW beetle was made up untill the 90's AFAIR, I guess because they could still sell it in high volume, in south america. same thing.

That's better. A garbling justification is much funnier.

markeym3

I kinda felt the same as the OP ,, then I picked up (and now just sold) an AP Royal Oak ,, It was one of the cheaper versions, but there was nothing cheap about it very solid watch , I recommend getting one a budget one for starters I am sure you will be surprised.

link to the sales thread ...

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=112066

Robin195959

That's better. A garbling justification is much funnier.

Just tuggin' ya chain bud. Of course it's a classic design and that's why it has lasted so long.