Sign in to follow this  
Daytona_Dreamer

Rolex Daytona Vintage 6263 GOLD - KeNnY Mods [ PICS ]

Daytona_Dreamer

I do not hide the fact that I am addicted like many of us to these timepieces of the wrist. For me it started with my love of the black dial gold watch. For whatever reason, I am drawn to the Rolex, and most especially the original true Daytona. Sadly I found out I have expensive taste…in watches at least. Luckily I also found RWG

Mod Master KeNnY is my go to guy when it comes to my watch projects. The K man has taken especially good care of me with my vintage Daytona habit: first an initial stainless 6263 that is just the bomb; then a fantastic 6241 Paul Newman. These chronos are in my primary rotation. But nothing compares to his work with this golden … Pièce De Résistance … vintage Daytona 6263. How does someone so Hulk have such fine dexterity with all things watch??? I am seriously impressed with your fine work big guy!!!

The cartel Daytona from MR provided a great starting point. I love the riveted oyster bracelet that makes for the real vintage look right out of the box. But of course, I dreamed of more.

I was able to source a black dial. Listing pictures were poor quality, but I took a chance and this time it worked out. KeNnY almost lost it when the dial arrived; and I must agree it is incredible. The coronet is perfectly 3D with thin tips. The 5-minute markers have the right height at twice cartel. Font is spot on size and quality with slight fade. Subdials have a nice “fade” and the dial has an ever so slight tropical patina. I don’t care if it is gen or a fabulous refinish job. I’ll take it!

The dial was missing lume completely. KeNnY had to convince me to relume, and I am glad he did. KeNny provided perfect lume magic as always. Perfectly small lume dots like original with matched lume at hands. SWEET!! Thanks bro!! As usual for gen spec Daytona dials, the Master of Mod had to finesse the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock subdial hands, as well as move and freeze the 6 o’clock subdial hand, all to fit the gen spec subdial. I bet K can do this Daytona dial swap in his sleep :)

But this was just the beginning of the trip. I wanted a gen crown because I just hate when the gold rubs off. For me it’s just the ugliest tell. My gen Breitling Top Time, my new Epos have this burnished crown effect. So after negotiations ( translate begging ) KeNnY agreed to swap in a gen crown. I located one on the bay for cheap. K replaced the tube and fixed in gen crown. WOW I think I’m in love. KeNnY lined up the crown too…nice northern pointing touch.

My buddy Robin aka Robin195959 majorly helped me with this build. After general chitchat discussing my plans, he alerts me to a nice gen spec gold 6263 bezel that he spotted on ebay. I’ve never seen a gold 6263 bezel before…on ebay or anywhere. Again I took my chances. I couldn’t believe the quality of the bezel. There are only a few deep nicks, but those prove it is definitely NOT plated. Thanks Robin for sniffing out this perfect bezel. There is nothing like a flat S on the bezel to make this young man drool.

As far as the subdial hands, I actually prefer the thicker ones. It’s easier to see at a glance, and I just like the look of the thicker hands.

So here after all my blather is the final product in photos which do not do justice. I again want to thank Mod Master KeNnY as always, Robin, Pharmo and the members karma in the RWG family! This is as close as I will every come to wearing a golden vintage Daytona. I can easily live with that :)

1zez2no.jpg

2zgubsl.jpg

wtuiv8.jpg

2yvquxj.jpg

ogm5x0.jpg

2janog7.jpg

jl06f4.jpg

w7kmx5.jpg

24n35eq.jpg

2mrbpec.jpg

55iedf.jpg

2afc4cg.jpg

Piccolo

Thank You for the write up - an absolutely beautiful watch. You seem to be the driving force behind an almost collective project on this.

Well done to all those who helped, and congratulations to you for dreaming it and bringing it all together! Wear it lots!

:thumbsup:

Robin195959

That is tremendous DD. I love it on either bracelet. Your love of these iconic pieces is shared by a quite a few of us on here, but few take it to the level you have here. Congrats buddy and wear it often. Great work as ever by Matej and worth every penny.

Ps nice pics too. You been practising or bought a new Camera?

nunu78

It's a beauty and yes Matej is one hell of a guy. Great friend and excellent modder.

Gazzla

Fantastic! Great pics too!

U2otYt9.gif

Daytona_Dreamer

Thank You for the write up - an absolutely beautiful watch. You seem to be the driving force behind an almost collective project on this.

Well done to all those who helped, and congratulations to you for dreaming it and bringing it all together! Wear it lots!

:thumbsup:

It's a beauty and yes Matej is one hell of a guy. Great friend and excellent modder.

Thanks guys. I've learned so much from the RWG family...and yes there is no one out there like my friend KeNnY. What more can be said ??

Daytona_Dreamer

That is tremendous DD. I love it on either bracelet. Your love of these iconic pieces is shared by a quite a few of us on here, but few take it to the level you have here. Congrats buddy and wear it often. Great work as ever by Matej and worth every penny.

Ps nice pics too. You been practising or bought a new Camera?

Thank you Robin...that bezel is all you my friend!!

I much like the gen spec riveted bracelet that is on the stock Marvellous Daytona. But for me, this is a dress watch only. I can't wear it to bum around. So on the wrist, the jubilee fits better. But that is just me for now.

One day, I will get myself an SLR. But for now, it's lots of clicks, and a few pics come out nice

Fantastic! Great pics too!

U2otYt9.gif

Wow!! ... This is almost surreal ... if the master behind the lens gives me a compliment like that ... I am honored . Thanks GAZ :)

Baldrick

Really lovely photos of a gorgeous watch.......you've captured the essence of it ...good health to wear it.......:D

Lorenove06

Your true Daytona love reaches its peak with this marvellous piece.

I can really feel all the efforts, the affection, time and passion behind this project and I'm sincerely happy for you, DD.

What a dial, man.

Not to mention the golden flat s and correct 110 bezel: impossible to find.

This is a Daytona Dream.

UmpaHimself

That dial is amazing and the Jubilee makes it. Congrats bud! Nice touches on the crown and bezel as well.

trksh-bzr

That is a dream watch. Pictures are amazing.

GenTLe

Just wow. It is a lovely piece! How did you know that the dial would have fit the venus75 movement pinions?

Daytona_Dreamer

Really lovely photos of a gorgeous watch.......you've captured the essence of it ...good health to wear it....... :D

Your true Daytona love reaches its peak with this marvellous piece.

I can really feel all the efforts, the affection, time and passion behind this project and I'm sincerely happy for you, DD.

What a dial, man.

Not to mention the golden flat s and correct 110 bezel: impossible to find.

This is a Daytona Dream.

That dial is amazing and the Jubilee makes it. Congrats bud! Nice touches on the crown and bezel as well.

That is a dream watch. Pictures are amazing.

Thanks guys !! This was certainly my most consuming watch to date. It is now my go to for all formal affairs, and anytime I am forced to wear a nice suit.

Just wow. It is a lovely piece! How did you know that the dial would have fit the venus75 movement pinions?

Ah Gentle ... you bring up a very good point. I did leave that important discussion out this time.

This dial had its feet pins in gen positions, as did the dials in my stainless 6263 and 6241. In short, the only way to fit these gen spec dials with feet pins intact would be to swap out the ST-19 movements for Valjoux 72, 722 or 727 movements. That would mean buying a vintage watch to donate its Valjoux movement, or finding a reasonably decent functional Valjoux movement. Both options can be tricky and expensive as I discovered during my stainless 6263 build.

Even if I swapped out the movement with an accurate Valjoux, there would be no guarantee that the movement would fit in the newer case, that rep hands would fit, that the crown would fit, etc. All the watch smiths that I talked to assured me that no matter how easy it sounded, unforeseen issues would have to be overcome...mo money mo money mo money !!!

After deep thought, I figured that it would be best to keep the solid ST-19 movement, eliminating the dial feet to allow the dials to fit. If the dials were truly gen, it doesn’t matter. I’m never selling these, in part or whole :)

GenTLe

This dial had its feet pins in gen positions, as did the dials in my stainless 6263 and 6241. In short, the only way to fit these gen spec dials with feet pins intact would be to swap out the ST-19 movements for Valjoux 72, 722 or 727 movements. That would mean buying a vintage watch to donate its Valjoux movement, or finding a reasonably decent functional Valjoux movement. Both options can be tricky and expensive as I discovered during my stainless 6263 build.

Even if I swapped out the movement with an accurate Valjoux, there would be no guarantee that the movement would fit in the newer case, that rep hands would fit, that the crown would fit, etc. All the watch smiths that I talked to assured me that no matter how easy it sounded, unforeseen issues would have to be overcome...mo money mo money mo money !!!

After deep thought, I figured that it would be best to keep the solid ST-19 movement, eliminating the dial feet to allow the dials to fit. If the dials were truly gen, it doesn’t matter. I’m never selling these, in part or whole :)

Thanks for the explanation DD, even if I was mainly thinking about the movement pinions more than the dial feet :)

Do you mean that the gen dials have the pinion holes (and therefore the valjoux 72 pinions) in the exactly same position as the venus 75?

Daytona_Dreamer

Ahh...got it. You are even more detailed in your thinking my friend :)

You are correct that a gen spec dial may not fit the pinions of the ST-19 Venus 75 etc...or it could require some talented adjustments.

While my assumption was that this dial would fit once feet were removed, I relied on KeNnY's mad skillz in the matter. KeNnY assured me that he would be able to fit the dial once feet were removed. I think KeNnY had done this many times before, using Yuki dials, Phoung dials, etc. all with gen spec positions for subdials, feet, etc. Since KeNny had no problems with my first stainless 6263, and followup 6241, I had no worries that the dial would fit for this build.

I get by with a little help from my friends :)

GenTLe

Thanks :) will try to find some tech drawing of both movements to compare the dimensions:)

Pharmo

:drool: wow! Absolutely amazing buddy.

Wear in good health my friend.

michel7752

Beautiful watch - by the Daytona artist KeNnY - for a real connaisseur. Congratulatios and enjoy!

squiresurf

An inspiration thankyou :) i never thought i would want a gold watch until i saw the gold daytonas - yours is perfect :)

frapzzor

Really stunning,

Well done! :clap: :clap: