Sign in to follow this  
dhebard1

imperfections with my first rep (Seamaster) - fixable?

dhebard1

hi all,

so, have been lurking on here and other forums literally for years researching the rep hobby and finally pulled the trigger and purchased my first rep, a 2012 Seamaster that i picked up from TD Connie.

i looked far and wide before deciding on this purchase.

i received the rep only Thursday, and have now spent just a couple of days with it.

here'a a pic:

Seamaster201-9-16_zpsnnmsrujo.jpg

my first thoughts:

- feels solid, good weight, does not feel "cheap"

- looks sharp, no real glaring quality issues

- movement is smooth and looks like a very expensive watch

- watch winding, date and time setting via crown all work as they should

- seems to keep perfect time so far - i know it's only been 48 hours but so far is dead-on since setting (QC pic they send showed less than one second per day loss)

then we get into my "issues". they are small, but i am hoping someone here on the forum can guide me to some way of addressing them:

1. the brand logo does not match the gen. it is off-center and looks wrong - more specifically the brand name does not line up horizontally with the logo above it, it is noticeably off-center. the pic on the TD website had the perfect logo, the watch i received did not. unfortunately for me the QC pic they send DID show the messed up logo, i just did not notice. so, the question here is, can i source a better watch face and have this one replaced in order to get the correct gen look? pics for reference:

Seamaster20logo_zps1dcllbl3.jpg

2. the crystal dos not seem to be properly seated in the bezel. on roughly half of the crystal, the bezel is nearly flush with the crystal where they meet - the crystal has a slight ridge that protrudes higher than the edge of the bezel. on the other half of the watch, the bezel overlaps the crystal and creates a sharp metal ridge you can feel and that i suspect will catch in clothing. very hard to see but for sure a QC issue for me. perhaps i can have a jeweler fix this? any recommendations for such a jeweler in Los Angeles (Hollywood or Santa Monica areas. ideally)? and should i be apprehensive about taking a rep watch to a jeweler? i obviously would not take to an authorized dealer, but other than that do i need to worry about who i take it to? below are pics, though it is hard to see what i am talking about with this flaw.

the "good" side of the bezel/crystal mating:

Seamaster20Bezel201_zpsffhm4bfj.jpg

the "bad" side:

Seamaster20Bezel202_zpsh0cehszj.jpg

3. another bezel issue/flaw: the marks/numbers/top pearl on the bezel do not match up with the ridges in the exterior ring around the bezel. refer to the first photo here but i think this one is pretty self-explanatory. i am relatively sure a jeweler can fix this - again just wonder about where to take it - or more specifically where NOT to take it to get worked on.

4. the band seems to practically scratch when i breathe on it. i exaggerate here for sure but i've only had the thing on since Thursday night and it's already showing visible wear on the band, the links some but ESPECIALLY the clasp. not sure there is anything i can do on this? or is there a source for a better band that will not scratch when the wind blows on it? or maybe a way to easily polish out surface scratches?

5. the TD stated the the watch had the AR coating on the crystal. if that is true, i would be surprised. the watch has a TON of reflection - i can see myself in the face clearly even in not-so-bright conditions. again, a fix for this?

any and all tips, comments, advice are appreciated - thanks in advance for your your help!

best,

-d

Edited by dhebard1

Duzza

What did you pay for it? Roughly.

BadPickle

It's a rep made illegally in a Chinese sweat shop, costing you approximately 1/10th of the price of the gen, I mean really?? WTF did you expect?

They're not so bad, I got my mate one, BP factory, Asian clone movement, and to be honest, if it wasn't for the bezel markers being a smidging outta line, he'd never know it was a fake (his words not mine)

dhebard1

with shipping just shy of $400.

dhebard1

It's a rep made illegally in a Chinese sweat shop, costing you approximately 1/10th of the price of the gen, I mean really?? WTF did you expect?

They're not so bad, I got my mate one, BP factory, Asian clone movement, and to be honest, if it wasn't for the bezel markers being a smidging outta line, he'd never know it was a fake (his words not mine)

to be sure, i understand it's a "cheap" rep. :-)

i'm not complaining, i'm merely asking if anyone knows if these flaws are addressable or fixable.

thanks!

-d

dhebard1

Did you ever, before buying a rep, read this: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...p?showtopic=601

yes i did check that out - thanks. not that i read all 50-100 reviews, but i did read quite a few of them.

again, not expecting perfection here - looking for guidance in improving what i got, that's all.

-d

the_frenchman

Wow, i can see you only see flaws on this watch everywhere.... And with this problems none of a watchsmith will solve your issue because before he will fix it you will find another flaw. This is the rep world, sometimes you win sometimes you loose, or sometines your just cant think this is made in china and this is what sometimes happens. Maybe your right on the crystal, but many other watches the crystal doesnt seat 100% aligned with the bezel, about the logo ( yes it off) , but this is your lesson for next time on QC , always check this things.... But from the normal distance of your eyes to your wrist you will not notice this.

If i was you i will just sell the watch instead of spending $$ trying to solve your issues and maybe not guarantee that you will like the final result.

Sell and buy a new one from other factory and thats it.

Good luck

Edited by the_frenchman

MDK

Buy a gen dial and crystal, that way you will get a perfect alignment of the logo and 1st class AR, if they will fit !!.

Watch smith could re-seat the crystal, but is it worth it, you've been here for a while you say there are a few people you could send it to for the crystal.

RichardMiami

Roses are read

An intro this is not

It's a general question

So I move it to thot...........

whatever.......It's Saturday night... :bottle:

dhebard1

Wow, i can see you only see flaws on this watch everywhere.... And with this problems none of a watchsmith will solve your issue because before he will fix it you will find another flaw. This is the rep world, sometimes you win sometimes you loose, or sometines your just cant think this is made in china and this is what sometimes happens. Maybe your right on the crystal, but many other watches the crystal doesnt seat 100% aligned with the bezel, about the logo ( yes it off) , but this is your lesson for next time on QC , always check this things.... But from the normal distance of your eyes to your wrist you will not notice this.

If i was you i will just sell the watch instead of spending $$ trying to solve your issues and maybe not guarantee that you will like the final result.

Sell and buy a new one from other factory and thats it.

Good luck

great advice and you are right - lesson learned on the QC pics! :-)

-d

dhebard1

Buy a gen dial and crystal, that way you will get a perfect alignment of the logo and 1st class AR, if they will fit !!.

Watch smith could re-seat the crystal, but is it worth it, you've been here for a while you say there are a few people you could send it to for the crystal.

i'll search on the crystal sourcing here - thank you - if any come to mind please refer me. :-)

-d

JSJ

Honest answers:

Generally I understand your points. It's part of the rep world. There's significant variation watch to watch.

The gen makers (except Seiko) don't have control over their production processes but rely on 'inspection' and 'quality control'. This is one main reason why their watches are eye-wateringly expensive. Inspecting quality in is outrageously expensive and if you visit any of the gen forums you will read very sorry tales of issues with watches costing many $000s.

Even though labour is cheap in China, there are missing skills and $400 retail is not enough to inspect consistency into the output.

In detail:

1. That's frustrating and unfortunate that you missed it. I doubt if you can fix it. Live with it.

2: Very common in reps. Fairly easy to fix by removing and reseating the crystal.

3: Also common and easy to fix. Read up about it.

4: Gens do this as well. If it bothers you that much, learn how to remove the scratches. It's not difficult.

5: Yeah, rep AR is variable and ranges from rubbish to reasonably acceptable. Gen AR can sometimes be disappointing too.

Some reps are true super reps. That term depends on what you personally are prepared to accept. For example, I could have a rep with perfect logo and crystal fitting, excellent AR but crap lume and it would piss me off big time. You might not be bothered about the lume. We're all looking for different things.

Your rep is not that cheap. You are probably at a turning point. Either get over some of the issues, learn how to fix them or get out of the hobby.

I hope you stay and find an accommodation.

UmpaHimself

Honestly the dial would bug me too. That's good of you to admit you didn't catch it in the QC pics. I think the judgement is a little harsh here. I would contact the TD and see if they could source you just a replacement dial as the rep factory is really the only place to get a dial like this. As far as the crystal goes, a good watchmaker should be able to remove it and reseat it as long as there isn't a flaw causing it to be like that. The bezel insert itself I wouldn't worry too much about. Since it's ceramic it can potentially crack if you try and remove it from the bezel.

Kcore

Saturday night and doing the rhythms. I guess Mrs. Miami is out with the ladies ;)

RichardMiami

Saturday night and doing the rhythms. Inguess Mrs. Miami is out with the ladies ;)

Nah... she's fixin me a gourmet meal! :P

After dinner we will probably go out and hit some clubs.... I hear DJ Geritol is playing tonite! :D

dhebard1

Roses are read

An intro this is not

It's a general question

So I move it to thot...........

whatever.......It's Saturday night... :bottle:

oops sorry! :-)

-d

JSJ

i'll search on the crystal sourcing here - thank you - if any come to mind please refer me. :-)

-d

Don't waste your money. Gen bits are expensive even if you can find them and probably won't fit. If you are getting into frankens it's an entirely different and expensive hobby.

the_frenchman

-d

Don't waste your money. Gen bits are expensive even if you can find them and probably won't fit. If you are getting into frankens it's an entirely different and expensive hobby.

+1

Kcore

Saturday night and doing the rhythms. Inguess Mrs. Miami is out with the ladies ;)

Nah... she's fixin me a gourmet meal! :P

After dinner we will probably go out and hit some clubs.... I hear DJ Geritol is playing tonite! :D

Sounds bout right tonight for me and the Mrs. too, except Mine ain't making me no gourmet dinner :)

RUSH2112

Chalk it up to QC pic lesson learned and flip it on m2m is what I would do.

dhebard1

ya, i think unfortunately you're probably right. :-)

RUSH2112

ya, i think unfortunately you're probably right. :-)

It will take some time to get the posts to sell or you could go VIP. Don't forget to disclose the issues in your sales thread. Good luck.

rawbaws

I could think of far worse qc issues to find on arrival..

$400? Sounds expensive. Let me guess, you bought a swiss movement.

Kernow

The flaws can mostly be fixed. I have the same, albeit 50th Anniversary, watch. My insert was misaligned so I removed and reseated it. Just pop the bezel off and remove the insert. It's possible that the crystal could be removed and new AR applied. When it's reseated use a new gasket - 2 problems solved. The dial is a bit more difficult, so maybe try to find a replacement. Anyway, enjoy the watch.