Sign in to follow this  
rawbaws

Sub v5 just arrived, but has an imperfection I can't live with. Help!

rawbaws

Any modders help would be appreciated.

Just got in a sub v5.

Photos below are self explanatory. I'm guessing its glue or something stuck between the cyclops and crystal. Do you think removing, cleaning and re-gluing cyclops fix it?

20160111_083254_zpsecmvsqec.jpg

20160111_083218_zpskqhl5szz.jpg

20160111_083242_zpsggnpt7pw.jpg

jeffrsho

Yep, that's what BK does to all of his before he ships them.

Ishmael

That seems like a lot of work… why not spring for a gen crystal? Seems worth it for that calibre of watch.

Genius

Would a TC crystal fit? If not I'm sure Clark does one

rawbaws

TC crystal would be for a different version sub?

Hmm... might have to see exactly how much it annoys me first, but unfortunately it is visible from most angles, particularly when on the wrist and reading the date!

nunu78

You can get gen xtal for around 150$ and I believe that's the only mod it needs.

dennisaston

How comes you didn't go for a BK? The blue AR is quite noticeable too.

Thenew1
1452467373[/url]' post='1764231']

You can get gen xtal for around 150$ and I believe that's the only mod it needs.

Really, where? I never see them for less than 250~ on TRF, RWI or here. ? Much less Ebay.

rawbaws

I wonder whether applying a small amount of heat might dissolve the glue (if that's what it is) under there. Might be asking for trouble!

UmpaHimself

I wonder whether applying a small amount of heat might dissolve the glue (if that's what it is) under there. Might be asking for trouble!

Might be but at the same time if the other option is replacing the crystal you don't really have much to loose :D

rawbaws

Might be but at the same time if the other option is replacing the crystal you don't really have much to loose :D

True

How do people do it again? Soldering iron tip?

UmpaHimself

True

How do people do it again? Soldering iron tip?

Something stupid like that

rawbaws

Just read some old threads.

Chisel and a hammer anyone? Think i'll pass on that technique.

Daywatch

Hi, from what I read:

- the clarks crystal fits and is a huge improvement (said by who got it) - it does not have the LEC at 6

- most important and I agree: if You´re going to change the crystal or take it out get lower gaskets to make the crystal sit flusher with the case

- to remove the cyclops I also read about heating it up: for some it went well and quite fast, it was easy to than lift the cyclops at one side. many cracked the crystal

some time ago I copy/pasted this, includes a link to the crystal reference - it says to order 2 gaskets for safety: 116610 gasket order 2.35 instead of 2.7mm

You need to use a different gasket in order to solve this problem. Order a 2.35mm gasket which is right. noob uses 2.7mm which is wrong

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clark-Sapphire-crystal-for-Rolex-25-295-C-295C-25-295C-/252035767296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aae809c00

GenTLe
Just read some old threads.

Chisel and a hammer anyone? Think i'll pass on that technique.

:giggle: well you can win a new watch with that technique...

Odyseus

When I removed a cyclops, I used an X-Acto knife with a flat blade and used a pin hammer.Hold the blade at a shallow angle and a gentle tap should make the cyclops come off. Then you'll need UV setting watch crystal blue and a UV box to cure it :)