Sign in to follow this  
stiltzkin

What would you do if all of your Reps got stolen?

stiltzkin

Serious question this... I don't mean what you do to the guy if you found him? But some people on here have $000's invested in Rep wear. I presume you can't insure them, or if you do insure them some how - what do you declare them as?

I guess country to country the laws on owning reps differs, but I would have thought it to be a difficult conversation with a loss adjuster, even in a country where owning a rep is legal?

Anyone got any experience of this? Or even worse, had to try and claim for stollen items? Or is it just part of the rep game, if some fecker runs off with them, you have to right off the loss?

KBH

I'd probably cry like a baby.

Then I'd probably give some pictures of a couple my frankens to my adjuster and claim full value. I'd have to consider that one carefully first, though. All those wrist check pictures would come in handy.

Also I'd have a heck of a large write off on my taxes.

Del

I'd claim my home contents insurance - I only need to declare individual items worth over £1,000. My reps are just watches worth between $50 and $250 each so I can't see this being an issue.

SirDomino
I'd probably cry like a baby.

Then I'd probably give some pictures of a couple my frankens to my adjuster and claim full value. I'd have to consider that one carefully first, though. All those wrist check pictures would come in handy.

Also I'd have a heck of a large write off on my taxes.

Not sure where you are located, but in the USA you'd need receipts, invoices, or an appraisal by an authorized dealer or jeweler in order to get reimbursed for the gen cost. Plus it would be fraudulent and most likely a felony if they found out it was a rep.

If you said it was a gift, never got it appraised, and it went missing then at the very least they would expect the serial number which they could easily check. But I think you'd have a hard time getting reimbursed for a rep at gen or even rep prices on photos alone. I know many policies require a special purchase for jewelery and as part of the terms they require an appraisal or some proof.

That is my understanding.

KBH

Actually my best friend just had a Rolex DJ stolen from his house and also a BK Submariner. He's had the DJ for about 30 years and no receipt or papers and it was paid in full. He did have pictures of himself wearing it which could have helped his claim. But he was never asked for them. He also claimed the other one as a $350 Submariner type dive watch on his insurance form.

I had a claim for a bunch of expensive fishing rods stolen from my garage a few years ago and no receipts were required. They told me to go buy replacements and give them the receipts for those.

And, of course the deductible amount can certainly be claimed on your taxes.

SirDomino
Actually my best friend just had a Rolex DJ stolen from his house and also a BK Submariner. He's had the DJ for about 30 years and no receipt or papers and it was paid in full. He did have pictures of himself wearing it which could have helped his claim. But he was never asked for them. He also claimed the other one as a $350 Submariner type dive watch on his insurance form.

I had a claim for a bunch of expensive fishing rods stolen from my garage a few years ago and no receipts were required. They told me to go buy replacements and give them the receipts for those.

And, of course the deductible amount can certainly be claimed on your taxes.

Great to know! What policy was this one? Home Owner's Insurance? Or Renter's insurance? or a personal articles policy?

KBH

Homeowners. All you need is a police report. There is a limit for jewelry and of course you have to pay the deductible.

Buy the way, it's probably a good idea to take some pictures of my DJ's serial numbers since they are all gen cases with valid serial numbers.

roberto
Great to know! What policy was this one? Home Owner's Insurance? Or Renter's insurance? or a personal articles policy?

I know that applies in the UK, not sure if other countries are quite as hospitable..

dingle
Homeowners. All you need is a police report. There is a limit for jewelry and of course you have to pay the deductible.

..................and my reps are not worth near the amount of the deductible :D

Luthier

Buy the way, it's probably a good idea to take some pictures of my DJ's serial numbers since they are all gen cases with valid serial numbers.

Oh, yeah, and gimme your address and the time when you're usually out.

:D

KBH

:lol:

I wouldn't worry about you Luthier. I know you're a law and order kind of guy. I'd even tell you where the single malt Scotch is and the combination to the safe (if I had one).

Dragonscape

No worries here, 9mm baby eagle while I am home, the Chow protects when we're out

Luthier

:)

I wouldn't worry about you Luthier. I know you're a law and order kind of guy. I'd even tell you where the single malt Scotch is and the combination to the safe (if I had one).

Once in a lifetime you're absolutely correct, KBH.

OK, when I'll visit sunny FLA, I'll remind you about Scotch.

Pentax

Will be glad that they didn't take the gens! Lol

chum_2000_uk

Inushuk
Will be glad that they didn't take the gens! Lol

+1

KBH

:D

Once in a lifetime you're absolutely correct, KBH.

OK, when I'll visit sunny FLA, I'll remind you about Scotch.

:vomit:

You'd be welcome with open arms. As long as we don't start drinking the Scotch and talking politics I'm sure we'd get along great. I honestly mean that.

rychastings

thats simple: I would go on a rep watch buying spree!