Sign in to follow this  
stu7sinc

Omega LMPO from Bến Thành Market HCMV Vietnam

stu7sinc

Hi guys,

I picked this up yesterday at Bến Thành Market in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Generally I try not to spend any more than 2 million dong at the market on a watch but since learning a bit more about them and being more selective, I spent a bit more.

This Omega Planet Ocean cost me 3.5 million Vietnam dong (156USD).

It looks and feels good to me. The mechanism looks smooth running and in 24 hours seems to be keeping good time.

Since I really had to fight for that price, I don't think I was ripped off. But no certain either.

For me, it looks good, and feels good, so I am happy with what I paid.

What do you all think?

9a84c3b56d934221770fca097b2234bf.jpg

2eb914ad321e561bfd34fadddc963dea.jpg

c5cfef84dd136c669892bac0f64a759c.jpg

937cfc6bfa3d23003b011fec80cde426.jpg

fcb6e001905fea77d5521291373ad64a.jpg

279a97d640f7b667f971d4a9d15ed39c.jpg

jmshen

At a very first glance I would say you roughly got what you paid for. <$100 (like AE cheapies) you'll find severe mistakes, clear factory part swapping, and a crap movement decoration. >$200 (and even >$300 for your "super reps") and you'll find more accurate representation of the little details compared to yours: the pearl, the bezel color and font, the arabic numbers on the dial, the DW (particularly the DW), and even your bracelet.

I'm sure experts are in bound to give better details.

Ishmael

This Omega Planet Ocean cost me 3.5 million Vietnam dong

That's a lot of dongs!

jmshen

That's a lot of dongs!

Logo-Low-Hanging-Fruit.png

:P

mindvision

Looks like a crpo to me

nunu78

Looks like a crpo to me

+1

Wriggles

I'm fairly sure from the mixed bag of photos that you got a decent deal. Its no cheapie

MetalMickey

That's a lot of dongs!

Logo-Low-Hanging-Fruit.png

:P

Wrong fruit, it's this low hanging fruit...

2d7f4b4e88dba36b78c242b42a02c3af.jpg

UmpaHimself

Looks good for the price

ower

It seems not to be a LM rep but a CR. I believe it is good for the price. For sure you can source here more acurate reps, but for a lot more dough. The pearl is a big giveaway at the first glance, as well is the date and I believe the Seamaster logo should be orange. However these are small things and the watch looks good for the money. Enjoy wearing it, the dongs were worth it :)

Left Coast Guy

Hmm, its an interesting model -- the date wheel and date window are a joke they are so far off from gen, but otherwise, the case looks good and the dial has the metal accents of the 8500 series which I haven't really seen on the Ali quality reps. From the pics of the back, the mov't doesn't seem to be the decorated like the Miyota, so its no doubt a 21J.

Anyway, weird to see this combo -- decent quality case/bezel, good dial (but for the date window), and 21J movement -- but I'd say $150 seems about the fair price

GenTLe
Hmm, its an interesting model -- the date wheel and date window are a joke they are so far off from gen, but otherwise, the case looks good and the dial has the metal accents of the 8500 series which I haven't really seen on the Ali quality reps. From the pics of the back, the mov't doesn't seem to be the decorated like the Miyota, so its no doubt a 21J.

Anyway, weird to see this combo -- decent quality case/bezel, good dial (but for the date window), and 21J movement -- but I'd say $150 seems about the fair price

The movement is an Asian eta or a POS Z2. Only decorated part is the rotor and in one of the pic you can (barely) see the regulation screw on the balance bridge:)

WatchDog21

For the money I don't think you did bad. The important thing is that you like it and are happy! Congrats on your new acquisition!

Wriggles

The movement is an Asian eta or a POS Z2. Only decorated part is the rotor and in one of the pic you can (barely) see the regulation screw on the balance bridge:)

+1 definitely not 21j. Reckon ETA as never saw one with the Z2 but hard to say from the pics

avc0002

That's a lot of dongs!

Ha

Left Coast Guy

+1 definitely not 21j. Reckon ETA as never saw one with the Z2 but hard to say from the pics

Highly doubt an ETA clone...why would the date window be moved so far in??? Only reason is to fit a 21j date wheel

stu7sinc

Thanks for all the replies. I am happy with my purchase.

To be honest, if anyone had said its only worth $50 I would not have been upset. I would have been keen to find out where I could get such watches for $50.

This one will be worn. If I find it spends a lot of time on my wrist, I will probably then upgrade to a better rep or possibly even a gen.

There will be a couple of better pictures uploaded once I get home and do some study of how to take better pictures.

And lastly, it sure was a lot of dong.

GenTLe

Thanks for all the replies. I am happy with my purchase.

Eri, can you post a pic where the movement is well visible? Possibly with the balance not covered by the rotor?

BadPickle

nice pic up, all you gotta do is wear it now. :)

i'd stop worrying about what other peeps here think about it, just strap it on an strut like you got big dong!! :giggle:

Wriggles

Highly doubt an ETA clone...why would the date window be moved so far in??? Only reason is to fit a 21j date wheel

Well with such poor pictures it's very hard to say, but it certainly doesn't look like a generic 21j from the small amount of movement on view. OP said he's going to post better pictures so time will tell

JSJ

Interesting. Agree it does look like an ETA but also agree the datewheel is in the wrong place.

Let's see some more pics.

stu7sinc

02394ef39bcb7245ba2f9bf241129a08.jpg

2d47af09f3bd2d7c2b283b138a1b9c32.jpg

955ad703ee6254ba9547e36ff1a66a3c.jpg

7cabc5978e15771913f957c93ffa4681.jpg

956e179a35215e59803b851bb6d78223.jpg

6690f9809404ba4ddefbd020bf3aa815.jpg

3d68dd1b822c718b312694fcd60e6965.jpg

As promised,

Some more pictures.

JSJ

The movement and decoration looks identical to my BP CrPO, which is sold as a 'Swiss' 2836. There's a movement retention screw missing by the way.

The caseback engraving is a bit heavy and not as good as the BP. It shouldn't have the Liquidmetal engraving on it.

The dial looks OK except the date window seems to be where a 21j would be and as already said, the 'Seamaster' should be red.

The pearl doesn't look right, not gen-like which the BPs are.

My guess is it's a rep of the BP rep by someone who didn't study the gens much.

Personally I'd want the caseback off to see if I could find the missing tab and screw because they will ultimately probably stop the thing if they are loose inside. Most likely, pubes and noodles are retaining the movement just now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the bracelet, which has pins not screws so is not like the BP. Looks fine from what is visible.

All told, a very decent rep for a cheapie price.

the_frenchman

Most likely, pubes and noodles are retaining the movement just now.

Hahahaha !! Damm pubes and noodles!

GenTLe

It is a POS Z2 movement...

d26f3694a1176c2b9fe27a94105107e4.jpg

8919fdf3f3361fcb2ddebe77b73ca793.jpg