Sign in to follow this  
Andy-B

Help! - Asian ETA 2824 25J 28800bph Automatic Movement

Andy-B

I have a Noob factory Omega LMPO with Asian ETA 2824 25J 28800bph automatic movement that is puzzling me.

Background...

A few days ago, having not worn the watch for a couple of days, I was surprised to find the movement had stopped. I set the correct time and gave the watch a shake for a few seconds and, although the movement began, something on the inside sounded not as tight as it once did - I'm assuming the oscillating weight/rotor skeleton.

I checked out the following video,

, and decided to open her up and have a look to see if anything was loose.

Problem...

Having removed the case back and the movement's cover plate, I first attempted to check the screw holding the oscillating weight.

What has be stumped is that the slot on the retaining screw of the rotor is so shallow that none of the flat head screwdrivers in my watch tool repair kit will get any purchase. Using a hand held magnifying glass to check the condition of the screw has convinced me that there is no possible way ANY screwdriver could obtain ANY degree of purchase in such a shallow slot. Some of the other retaining screws for the automatic mechanism are similarly shallow.

I can see no way of getting a screwdriver to turn the screws, given how shallow the slot is, and I can't see anyone involved in the assembly of the movement having been able to do so either.

In the end I had to give up and simply replace the cover plate and back cover.

Question...

Is it possible that what appears to be slot headed screws are in fact not screws but pins, with a 'cosmetic' slot, held in place by a circlip/retaining ring/grommet, and if so, what to do?

fatarms

Many times, those "screws" are a sticker and there's one big screw underneath it.

A picture would help to determine what to do.

Andy-B

Sorry I can't post a picture (yet) but if you check the

from time 0:34 - 0:44 you'll see the screw I was trying to check. The one in the video is a-ok, but mine is bright silver, (looks almost as though its been painted such), and has a slot way too shallow for a screwdriver to get any purchase.

Wriggles

Aside from the fairly high likelihood of it being a sticker, why would you consider there's a problem with the movement because it stopped after not being worn for a few days.

It's an auto, with probably no more than 40 hour reserve or so. It's going to stop after a few days not wearing it.

Basing an analysis on it "not sounding as tight" as it once was makes no sense.

Give it a few swirls, wear it for a day or two and see what happens.

And in the meantime do some reading up on movements and how they work

GenTLe

I serviced my Noob LMPO some time ago and I don't remember any problem in removing the counterweight...

This is how it should look:

wrj7vcW.jpg

A 1.2mm or 1.4mm sharpen screwdriver should work.

Maybe your screwdriver needs to be sharpened:

Anyway: finding the watch stopper after 2 days without wearing it is absolutely normal.

jmshen

+1 on sharpening your screwdrivers. I was on the verge of buying a new set of tools until these guys recommended the same thing. A little bit of sharpening with my kitchen block later, and I was in business.

Member X

+1 to it being perfectly normal for an auto movement to stop after a couple of days.

Some of mine have 12 hours reserve (need a service), others have gone for the full 40 hours or so.

If this is your first automatic watch then also +1 to reading the movement guides.

Andy-B

When I give it a shake there is a tapping noise of metal against metal, suggesting something is loose, when the rotor spins. This was not the case as of just a week ago when the only sound was that of the rotor spinning.

The screwdrivers are brand new - came with the watch repair tool set.

None of the screwdrivers I have in the new set, or indeed any of the smaller ones in my general tools set, can get sufficent purchase to turn the rotor securing screw, without my risking stripping the head off the screw, ending up with debris in the mechanism and landing in a worse situation than I am currently. The screw head slot is too shallow for the edges to provide sufficient resistance to the screwdriver - the screwdriver simply ends up rising up out of the slot and skidding over the surface of the screw head.

DSC05543b.jpg

DSC05543c.jpg

Dendo

screw looks fine to me

TBH I am not that fussy about screws - take what I can get :lol:

Dendo

Could be movement retaining screw has come out. Turn the movement upside down and shake it carefully moving the rotor.

andyboy

Could be movement retaining screw has come out. Turn the movement upside down and shake it carefully moving the rotor.

Try this but be careful.

From your picture I would say there is loads of gap in the rotor screw and shouldn`t be a problem.If your tools aren`t capable of dealing with this screw I would stop now before you go any further.

The screws only get smaller after this :D

Dendo

When the rotor spins it turns cogs - is that the sound you hear?

Andy-B

When the rotor spins it turns cogs - is that the sound you hear?

What I heard up until last week was the cogs/bearings ONLY. Now in addition to the cogs/bearings there is a tapping of metal against metal. I checked what was visible and there didn't appear to be any screws missing from elsewhere that could be loose and account for the noise.

The 'gap' in the slot isn't the issue, it's the depth of the slot.

Standing by for double entendre incoming...

JSJ

So does the rotor turn OK?

Sharpen the screwdrivers man, like already advised. Watch a vid about how to use them without fucking up the watch. The screw will come out.

Andy-B

The rotor turns OK and winds the spring just fine, but there's a definite metal vs metal tap/tick from inside when it gets spun which wasn't present as recently as last week.

Think I'll just have to find the biggest screwdriver that I recon will fit the screw, sharpen the tip and hope for the best.

Failing that, I'll need to glue a metal rod to the screw and, once it's set, turn the rod to turn the screw, then source a replacement screw.

BadPickle

Failing that, I'll need to glue a metal rod to the screw and, once it's set, turn the rod to turn the screw, then source a replacement screw.

thats by far the most mental post this week, you don't want to be fucking about with glue that close to the movement :facepalm: you might as well just chuck it in the canal right now.

Do yourself a favour and buy some screwdrivers, it'll save you a whole load grief and a ridiculous conclusion to this thread FFS.

Good lord!!

Get something like these--

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watchmakers-Screwdrivers-Set-9-PC-French-Type-With-Revolving-Base-SPARE-BLADES-/111804708627?nav=SEARCH

A tenner to your door, nice little set, cheap and cheerful :D

MetalMickey

http://m.ebay.co.uk/...8627?nav=SEARCH

I have that set. Until then I could not adjust the bracelet on my Black Bay, turns out I just needed better screwdrivers.

BadPickle

I have that set. Until then I could not adjust the bracelet on my Black Bay, turns out I just needed better screwdrivers.

Me too, a true tinkerers beginner set, superb quality, only a fool would buy anything roughly £16 more expensive. Unless they're underhandedly trying to procure work through the forum....

GenTLe

Stuart, you peace of shit, if you can demonstrate something write in clear and we will see, otherwise fuck off you and your useless idiotic attitude.

Useless alcoholic cunt that you are.

black263

Stuart, you peace of shit, if you can demonstrate something write in clear and we will see, otherwise fuck off you and your useless idiotic attitude.

Now don't hold back. This is RWG and we are all big boys, so let it out and say what you feel. :suck:

JSJ

Me too, a true tinkerers beginner set, superb quality, only a fool would buy anything roughly £16 more expensive. Unless they're underhandedly trying to procure work through the forum....

I reckon until GenTLe orders a huge shagged out staking set and posts pics of it in his "more tools purchased" thread we can rest easy he's not procuring... :rolleyes:

MetalMickey

You're just helping him flesh out his signature!

Andy-B

Handbags back on the dancefloor please gentlemen...

Found a screwdriver that I 'adapted' to do the job, and have got this far...

DSC05554.jpg

(To go further I'll need the set linked to earlier - thanks for the heads-up).

However, the ticking noise appears to be the rotor bearing. The weight also vibrates a little after it has come to rest, once it stops rotating, suggesting to me, novice that I am, that the bearing needs replaced - which needless to say is far beyond my capabilities.

Genius

Handbags back on the dancefloor please gentlemen...

Found a screwdriver that I 'adapted' to do the job, and have got this far...

DSC05554.jpg

(To go further I'll need the set linked to earlier - thanks for the heads-up).

However, the ticking noise appears to be the rotor bearing. The weight also vibrates a little after it has come to rest, once it stops rotating, suggesting to me, novice that I am, that the bearing needs replaced - which needless to say is far beyond my capabilities.

Just replace the whole rotor, not much more than postage there and back if you want to get a watchmaker involved

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swiss-SILVER-ROTOR-FOR-ETA-2824-2836-Watch-Automatic-Movement-Replacement-P56A-/181929155462?hash=item2a5bd29b86:g:X7sAAOSwwbdWQu62