Sign in to follow this  
Lolo1972sg

Mini review on the AP Forged Carbon : Noob v4 vs JF v5 (post Nov 15)

Lolo1972sg

Introduction

This is my first mini review to contribute something back to this fantastic forum. Most of the information in this small write up can already been found somewhere either in this forum or in some neighboring forums. Anyhow, the info is not likely to be complete but it will be a good summary for most noobs or folks not too familiar with this AP FC diver. Some of the AP pros here surely have more knowledge than I can capture in this mini review.

There are actually a few versions of this diver rep and they are all 42mmx14mm and are all closed back versions.

This model is, IMHO, one of the best AP reps (together with SS version and Ceramic version) out of the box till date – Jan 2016.

Pros and Cons between JF v5 and Noob v4

As of Jan 16, the 2 best available versions are:

1. Noob AP FC Diver v4 A2824 (around USD 480). This rep was launched somewhere in 2014 september.

Pros:

• DW most gen like (but reps purchased after Nov 2015 version seem to have the wrong DW or rather the same DW as the JF v5 version)
  • A2824 without decorated plate: less likely for things to go wrong (and it is a closed case anyway). Note that I have not yet opened up my FC diver received in late Jan 16 to verify that it is still a A2824 undecorated.
  • The A2824 can be modded to a lower beat movement (but big note: not easily done and I there are only a couple of modders who can do that in this forum)
  • Hour hand is o correct colour, correct lume and presents thin 2 lines.
  • Correct bezel font size

Cons:

• AR crystal might not be as good as JF version.
  • The DW font is harder to read (probably the cyclops mag is not right and cyclops AR is cloudy).

2. JF AP FC Diver v5 miyota decorated 3120 (USD 480), launched sometime in Nov 2015:

Pros

• Better crystal
  • Some say better FC case (might not be really the case IMHO because I can’t figure out how one distinguish a better FC case since the FC patterns will always vary from rep to rep)

Cons:

• DW might not be as good as Noob
  • Hour hand: too grey (likely fixed in the Nov version) but the 2 thick lines are still there on the hour hand!
  • Miyota movement: reportedly more noisy (note: I find my FC diver on A2824 to be more noisy than my AP 15400 miyota. Movement is decorated which means might present additional risks )
  • Smaller (incorrect) bezel font size
  • Some say the miyota movement is noiser (note: I find my noob v4 to be noiser than my miyota AP 15400)

Pictures illustration of some of the Pros and Cons

Nov15 Noob v4- see the clearly better thin black lines but DW font is now same as JF V5:

apcheng qc pic comments_zps1qhsqci1.jpg

Nov 15 JF v5 (intime website). Notice the white hour hand now, it is no longer grey. But one can still clearly see the 2 thick lines on the hour hand.

intime JF v5 pic_zpsfrg6malw.jpg

Old Noob V4 (before Nov 15). The DW font was apparently more gen like:

PT Noob v4 pre Nov 15 correct DW_zpshgtyc7kn.jpg

QC care (what to look out for during QC):

Checklist should include these:

• Have to check to see inner bezel marker align with outer marker (one of the most common QC issues with FC diver)
  • Check that the 12 oclock markers are both of same length
  • Check DW window alignment (to be straight)
  • Check also that all markers are aligned correctly
  • Check the inner bezel numbers 30, 40 and 50 all do not touch the dial
  • Check also that there is well defined border on all inner bezel numbers (which defines the lume areas).
  • Check the AP wordings on the straps
  • Engraving at the back of buckle ("TITANE" is the correct wording, other wordings such as “stainless steel” are either wrong or older versions.)
  • If buy JF, have to also check the date between 20 to 31 to see if you can see the next date (next date should not appear).

marker misalignment pic_zpsbos3k0ou.jpg

correct buckle:

back buckle_zpsuzcnwt28.jpg

wrong buckles:back of buckle_zps07syzyde.jpg

Some rep shots:

FC diver on a nice red rubber strap :

d09624008_zps80gzroxm.jpg

FC diver on a sub-6 inch wrist. So yes, folks with small wrist can wear this but the lugs are a little bit overhanging, IMHO:

wrist shot 1_zpsl1lqqwxy.jpg

Another perspective, same rep, same small wrist:

wrist shot 2_zps3tg6rivp.jpg

Happy reading.

Edited by Lolo1972sg

jmshen

Great review! Thanks for the time and effort. I thought the "QC Care" part was excellent. I do the same thing when researching a watch; I make a little list of things people have noticed in recent batches that I make sure to both talk to the TD about and eye in QC or ask for specific pictures.

Edubbel

This was great. I was on the fence with the FC for a long time, but ordered the SS V7 yesterday because I coulden't make up my mind with JF or N version. Thank you for all you put in to this, great review.

flin0310

Noob AP ROO Diver FC looks sux

pfdamion876

How so? I gathered that the noob was the better rep based on the review.

Lolo1972sg

How so? I gathered that the noob was the better rep based on the review.

They are both good. It all depends on what flaws can you accept.

Simms

Really good work here. That's what I love about this forum

Lolo1972sg

Glad that some folks like this. The same review was done also in one of the other neighbouring forums where I am more active. Just wanted to share.

And this FC diver is really light and very comfortable on the wrist. Very different from the rest of the AP which feel much heavier.

One of the best sportive reps I have had till now.

sputim

I recently bought both and the hour hands are same on both but the fc pattern on the v5 is day and night compared to noobs v4. Noobs seems unpolished and very dull. Only flas on the v5 is the dwo and the numbers of the inner bezel being too small unfortunately. Did anybody change the inner bezels? Does a noob fit the jf case and also works with rotating?

2hot2trot

Great review.

Really informative.

Thanks for your time and sharing it with us.. :thumbsup:

WatchaholicMallorca

Puts my first review to shame!

Good read that mate