Sign in to follow this  
tictoc

Help!!!

tictoc

I hope someone can help me. I have just taken delivery of a Rolex Daytona from Lay at RT and it a stunning item, however i now have a problem.

When the watch arrived all was well and it was running. I put it on an wore it throughout the day, removing it only to sleep in. The same thing for the next 3 days. I was doing something on Tuesday and did not want to wear the watch then or the following day. I have come to it this morning and it wont run.

Please forgive my ignorance but i read somewhere on here about initially having to wing a watch to get it started but i don't know how to do this. When my other (much less expensive watches) have experienced the problem a 'bit of a shake' has usually cured the problem and all is well.

Hoping someone can help me with this as with it being Chinese New Year i don't think i will get hold of Lay for a few weeks.

Thanks to everyone out there who recommended Lay as RT were fantastic to deal with. The watch arrived in 8 days from order which i find amazing.

Just hoping that the watch does not have to do a round trip or i will be very upset.

Look forward to receiving some positive thoughts today and fix tips.

Best wishes

TT

stiltzkin
I hope someone can help me. I have just taken delivery of a Rolex Daytona from Lay at RT and it a stunning item, however i now have a problem.

When the watch arrived all was well and it was running. I put it on an wore it throughout the day, removing it only to sleep in. The same thing for the next 3 days. I was doing something on Tuesday and did not want to wear the watch then or the following day. I have come to it this morning and it wont run.

Please forgive my ignorance but i read somewhere on here about initially having to wing a watch to get it started but i don't know how to do this. When my other (much less expensive watches) have experienced the problem a 'bit of a shake' has usually cured the problem and all is well.

Hoping someone can help me with this as with it being Chinese New Year i don't think i will get hold of Lay for a few weeks.

Thanks to everyone out there who recommended Lay as RT were fantastic to deal with. The watch arrived in 8 days from order which i find amazing.

Just hoping that the watch does not have to do a round trip or i will be very upset.

Look forward to receiving some positive thoughts today and fix tips.

Best wishes

TT

Which version have you got - is it the 21J (Non working Chrono) or the 7750 version (working Chrono)

In theory, just putting it back on should get it going again and allow the rotor to wind the watch for you. To manually wind the watch, you unscrew the crown and in that first position, (so not setting the time) wind the crown gently and consistently should get it going - a couple of winds should be enough to start it ticking again.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience of the Daytona will be along to help more.

Silverspeed

Sounds like you have a Daytona with the A7750 sec@6 movement...as you may or may not know these movements can be very unreliable. You can try gently handwinding the movement by turning the crown about 30 times, this should give the mainspring enough energy to get it running again.

Normally a gentle shake is enough to get it running, but with new movements, especially 7750, sometimes they need a bit of breaking in

tictoc

Thanks for the quick reply.

The watch is:-

RL06002 ROLEX DAYTONA SS A-7750 RUNNING SECOND 6

Could you confirm the winding procedure please, is it:-

Unscrew the crown

Pull out to initial first stop (normal position for adjusting the date on watches with dates)

Turn the crown clockwise (say 30 times as you suggest)

Replace crown

As i mentioned i have never had to do this with any of my watches.

I didn't know 7750 were unreliable?

Can anything be done?

Thanks again.

I would like to wear the watch today so i appreciate your help.

Regards

TT

stiltzkin
Thanks for the quick reply.

The watch is:-

RL06002 ROLEX DAYTONA SS A-7750 RUNNING SECOND 6

Could you confirm the winding procedure please, is it:-

Unscrew the crown

Pull out to initial first stop (normal position for adjusting the date on watches with dates)

Turn the crown clockwise (say 30 times as you suggest)

Replace crown

As i mentioned i have never had to do this with any of my watches.

I didn't know 7750 were unreliable?

Can anything be done?

Thanks again.

I would like to wear the watch today so i appreciate your help.

Regards

TT

Although you don't see a date window, that function is still there on the movement. So to wind the watch, you want to be in the first position...

So unscrew the crown and wind, don't pull it out at all, you'll know if you're in the date fuction, as you'll hear a slight click as the date turns over. To be sure, pull it out two clicks, (Date, time set) and push it back in. There you should be able to wind the watch. Just be gentle.

The normal 7750 has running seconds at the 9 position, so the Daytona has some extra gearing (put in by the rep factory) to move this function to the 6 position. I don't know too much more than that, but as Silver states, they have been described as hit and miss - although some people have had them for years and had no problem.

tictoc

Thanks

I have pulled the crown out and in and understand your description.

When in the winding position i feels uncomfortably tight to try and wind, it will wing but not in a nice manner.

If you turn it anti-clockwise then it sound very normal with a reassuring click.

No movement at all from the watch?

Any suggestions apart from it a dud?

Luthier

Welcome to "Daytona" nightmare.

Despite on assurances of many dealers, that "new" A7750 is problems free, I'd never buy Tona with seconds @6.

I guess you'd need to send it back.

tictoc

Its looking that way.

I guess that there is no fix to the problem.

when the watch is moved (as if on the wrist) it sounds like there is a winding noise that is there for a couple of seconds and then it stops?

Does any actually know what is going on inside?

stiltzkin
Its looking that way.

I guess that there is no fix to the problem.

when the watch is moved (as if on the wrist) it sounds like there is a winding noise that is there for a couple of seconds and then it stops?

Does any actually know what is going on inside?

The rotor is spinning... This is what a Daytona should do... (I haven't watch it with sound, so if it's in Kazak or somthing, apologies, but you'll get the idea.

tictoc

thank you.

do you have any idea of what may have happened with my watch?

my concern is that i will return it and it could get fixed and shipped back.

I'm upset as you can imagine as i only bought the watch as a replacement while my gen one is serviced '21' weeks i'm told...

any suggestions as i thought i'd looked around enough to find the best possible option before buying this one.

thanks

Member X

I would not handwind the 7750, the winding gears are known for being weak!

If you place if face down in your palm and then 'swirl' it anticlockwise, it should spin the rotor and wind it up, hopefully enough to get it going. Several of my watches require some power in them before they get going, so hopefully that it all yours needs :)

If it still doesn't work, you might be able to get it serviced. Which continent are you on?

tictoc

JACKPOT!!!

Thank you Member X for the suggestion it worked...

Have borrowed a friends automatic winder and will place on this when not worn.

Are these worth getting as i can only use this one for a couple of days before he returns?

Thank you again to everyone who posted here. Your comments have kept me going through a pretty cr*p day until now.

Perhaps i should consider another rep just in case of daytona emergencies!!!

Any suggestions, i quite like the deep sea and the TAG carrera.

Best wishes

TT