Sign in to follow this  
carter23

What do you say?

carter23

What do you say when people ask about your watch?

Do you admit to it being a rep or do you say its real, becuase I know there are people like that out there.

Personally, I always say mine are reps, becuase no 17 year old wears 20 thousand dollar watches.

What do you say?

Robeng

I can imagine that being 17 it's different than for me being an old fart of 50 I've never been

Asked if my watch is real I suppose people just assume that with my age group it's gen.

Most people know nothing about watches anyway and don't care.

Good that you're interested in watches though at your age my kids don't see the point as they've got the time on their phones.

If anyone asks just be honest.they will probably be amazed at the quality and want to know where you got it then you can point them to RWG.

Daywatch

Imho if ppl ask about Your watch You should just say thanks and that´s it.

If directly asked: Is that a fake watch You are wearing You could say Yes or ask why do You think so? Test the knowledge...

Keep it low profile and discreet, enjoy the watch and the hobby, share with family & friends and let

strangers think whatever they want.

Electron17

Use the search box, this topic has been discussed at length many times. Just be honest and tell people that ask that it is a rep. Most times they wont believe you but you will very seldom get asked that question. Just don't volunteer info that is not required.

carter23

If directly asked: Is that a fake watch You are wearing You could say Yes or ask why do You think so? Test the knowledge...

Keep it low profile and discreet, enjoy the watch and the hobby, share with family & friends and let

yeah I do normally just tell them watch watch it is, but most of the kids at school instantly jump towards fake, so i admit it haha

Daywatch

yeah I do normally just tell them watch watch it is, but most of the kids at school instantly jump towards fake, so i admit it haha

lol, school today is job tomorrow, in that setting if not wearing a G-shock You could upgrade to real cool automatic stuff from creation watches for less than a rep:

SKX007

IMG_32171024_zpsaa1deab0.jpg

Citizen NY90

citizen3407_zps8f1508bd.jpg

citlume_3415cr_zps7c943a71.jpg

carter23

I would never touch a G Shock...

Already have a similar seiko and other reps

Genius

I have spent over £2000 on "real" watches in the last 6 months but people still just assume that they are reps :rofl:

RussP

That's just F@rking unfortunate....................(@ Genius)

You obviously hang out with the wrong crowd :B):

RussP

Do you admit to it being a rep or do you say its real, becuase I know there are people like that out there.

Personally, I always say mine are reps, becuase no 17 year old wears 20 thousand dollar watches.

What do you say?

You're the only 17 year old I've heard of that wants to wear a watch.......................most teenagers rely upon their smartphone to tell the time.

Go with the Seiko and Citizens.................you'll find yourself 'returning' to them after the initial craze of getting the next best rep/super-rep.

Pob

I really don't know how many times I answered to this question, and maybe if you searched a bit you wouldn't need to start new thread ;)

No I don't say it's gen I say the truth.

RUSH2112
, becuase I know there are people like that out there.?

People like what? Do you mean assholes who can't mind their own business and have the fucking nerve to ask others if their watch is real? Why do you feel like they are due an answer let alone an explanation for something that is simply none of their business?

carter23
, becuase I know there are people like that out there.?

People like what? Do you mean assholes who can't mind their own business and have the fucking nerve to ask others if their watch is real? Why do you feel like they are due an answer let alone an explanation for something that is simply none of their business?

No what I mean is people who wear a rep, sometimes even a very low quality rep, and wave it around yelling that its real to everyone

What do you say?

You're the only 17 year old I've heard of that wants to wear a watch.......................most teenagers rely upon their smartphone to tell the time.

Go with the Seiko and Citizens.................you'll find yourself 'returning' to them after the initial craze of getting the next best rep/super-rep.

I honestly use my watch to tell the time only about 75% of the time, I prefer to wear them as a piece of jewelry

GenTLe

If you don't go around telling "look at my new watch" or sport some ugly stuff like this:

Hublot-Big-Bang-One-Million-Lady-watch.jpg

Probably no one will ever notice it and ask about it.

WatchDog21
I would never touch a G Shock... Already have a similar seiko and other reps

G Shock is the perfect watch for certain times or situations. Should not rule it out completly

carter23
I would never touch a G Shock... Already have a similar seiko and other reps

G Shock is the perfect watch for certain times or situations. Should not rule it out completly

Not a fan of all the colorful plastics.

would prefer to wear a nice seiko or even a rep of something subtle

Baldrick

What do I say when someone asks if my watch is rep or gen.....I always find this response is entirely apropos.....and pretty much clarifies it for the person asking the question.... ;)

Dilodoli

since you are still young, just tell them it's a gift.

a special birthday gift from your parents.

Jibuti

I do not believe you are 17, carter...your nick might say different...and you sound just too smart for your age....like some 55 years old risti....anyway...congrats on good taste for visiting RWG....

Edited by jibuti

Gazzla

It's very simple. You say it was a gift. End of conversation.

Genius

Or tell everyone you stole it...

insert-here

Tell them you stole it. They'll stop thinking it's real or fake, and wonder if you'r telling the truth about that.

RichardMiami

People tell me all the time "nice watch"

I respond, wittingly "thank you"

giphy.gif

carter23

I do not believe you are 17, carter...your nick might say different...and you sound just too smart for your age....like some 55 years old risti....anyway...congrats on good taste for visiting RWG....

Believe it or not but im nto actually that smart haha

Tell them you stole it. They'll stop thinking it's real or fake, and wonder if you'r telling the truth about that.

thats one way to bring up a new conversation haha

Left Coast Guy

Familiar topic......so I'll answer the same as always.

First, most people don't notice....watches only matter to knobs like us. Second, if they do notice I try blow it off.....many times a simple brush off does the trick. But if they continue to push, I tell them I repair watches/tinker as a hobby and explain how the bits inside a fancy watch are really pretty cheap to buy and assemble on your own, so I can repair expensive watches for pennies on the dollar....which is true.

I do this because I've actually had more hassle/issue with so-and-so's wife getting upset with her husbands gen purchase after seeing my reps, and that type of scene isn't my cup of tea....but I also don't care to present my reps as a wealth/status symbol. I'm just a watch nerd....nothing more