Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

Double red rollie - my first attempt

NCRich

I had a perfect storm. I had bought an RWG tool set a couple of years ago and it had been sitting idle since other than strap changes. I’d bought a double red sea dweller from Narikaa a year or two back and the movement had never worked right. I’d learned a long time ago to just write off 21js rather than ship one back. Then I came across these posts on vintage modding.

A bunch of the modded ones looked like they had just been trashed, so I didn’t want that. I wanted one that looked like my Dad had worn it for 20 years and took care of it. It was just older looking. So I got on ebay and ordered a 2813 movement ($30). It arrived and I took a deep breath and started. Bonesey’s tutorial on RWI was incredibly useful. I learned a hell of a lot in the process.

Disassembly

Hardest part of the whole damn thing is removing and inserting the stem. Once I opened my Narikaa double red with the sticky ball I saw that the SOB was not a 2813. Something called a 2838. Now I’m thinking that the hands and stem won’t fit. Oh, and the stem is apparently welded to the 2838. Nothing will get it out. Well the dremel cutting disk did. This was not starting well.

OK, movement out. Plastic insert holds the movement in rather than a brass retaining ring. Cheap construction but it turns out easier to work with since it does the job just as well and there are no movement tabs and screws to mess with. Hands come off easily with the post it note and hand remover. Couple of screws and I’ve removed the dial. Movement gets tossed, rodico and toothpicks to hold the hands and dial for aging.

Aging

Bonesey used some brown waterbased pigment to age. OK…sounds like coffee. I have an expresso machine at home. Brewed up a cuppa, used a small paintbrush to load up the dial and hands with dark coffee. Put it 6 inches from a 500W halogen lamp to dry and repeated until I got the look I wanted. Took 4 repetitions. For reference the markers and lume were very light to start with, almost white. Now a nice yellowish light brown with some unevenness. Dial has a tropic look to it. I liked it. To finish I used a spray can of waterbased satin polyurethane. 3 coats. Dial and hands done.

I popped the crystal out and used a hair dryer to loosen the glue on the insert. Popped it off and cleaned up the residue. Bezel construction wasn’t like Bonesey's……..sigh. It had a plastic washer thing that I’d seen on a couple of other tutorials. Eased it off without damage. On the case I really didn’t want to beat it to death. I took my dremel with a medium sanding drum and eased all the edges. I worked it with 250 to 2000 grit sandpaper till it looked like I wanted it. Ran it lightly under a polisher. Looks “warm” now.

I didn’t want the bezel bleached out too bad. So I scotch brighted it to remove the gloss. Hit it with some fine sandpaper. Added a couple of scratches. Put it in the bleach……….the bleach had zero effect. Hmmm….. I got some acetone and lightly applied it with cotton ball. Just a bit since I don’t want a lot of fading. For reference I could have faded it as much as I wanted with the acetone. Set it aside to dry then hit the bezel and crown with the sandpaper till I was satisfied.

Reassembly

Cleaned everything. Put the crystal back on, hypo cemented it a bit. Reinstalled bezel, bit of hypo to glue the insert back in place. Took the rotor off the new movement so I would not damage it. Put it on a movement holder and carefully fitted the hands back. The seconds hand is a bitch. Slow and easy is the way, I never worked longer than 15 minutes at a time so I would not get frustrated (much). Now to remove the stem on the new movement. Hmm, I need 3 hands. One to hold the edges of the movement, one to depress the stem with the screwdriver, and one to remove the stem. Had to call the wife to hold the movement.

Now I have a crown with a piece of stem and a new movement with an uncut stem. I hold the old stem with a pin vise and screw off the crown. Put it on the new stem, insert it into the movement and measure from the case to the bottom of the crown. Since it had a spring loaded crown I cut it a bit longer than I measured.

Moment of truth….use the puffer to clean out any dust, put the movement in the case. Put the plastic insert in to hold the movement. Deep breath, put the stem in till it stops, rotate counterclockwise till it clicks in. Crap, it doesn’t catch and won’t wind. Step away for 30 minutes. Came back and depressed the lever, took it out. Repeat. Success! It works!

Reinstalled the rotor and screwed the back on with the sticky ball. Everything works as expected and in 4 days it has kept perfect time. I put it on a nato, but yesterday I aged the bracelet and gave it the bike lube treatment to quell the jangles.

Blind squirrels do find acorns sometimes. A few pics.

IMG-1450-zpspxydoke3.jpg
IMG-1452-zps2lgmvimf.jpg
IMG-1454-zpsfbmwi0sx.jpg
IMG-1456-zpsv4hrxvda.jpg
IMG-1468-zpsplu6vhr9.jpg

Next up I may be drilling out the spring bars. I have 3 more coming to play with plus my 1675 that I now have the courage to tackle.

Piccolo

Nice one!

Good step by step story and the end result looks good to me! Well done for doing it and hope it means you can enjoy it now.

nunu78

My friend that looks bloody good, you are a brave man as I can't even think to attempt something like that.

Genius

Awesome work there, would have had no idea that it was a first effort unless you said

stevok2305

That looks totally crap awesome!!! :drool: :drool: Have a couple of Canal Street specials I might have to have a play with before i'd even attempt that on something better. And if I get stuck i'll just run down the hill and have a word with PBR.

UmpaHimself

Very nice work for a first attempt!

BadPickle

Nice vintage, top marks mate! That vintage tutorial by bonsey is pretty awesome.

neeeeecholas

Dude! That's great! Especially for a first time. When I did it on my first, I messed up the movement. On the second time, I broke one of the hands. But I'm almost done now! I'm currently waiting on a few more parts and I'll have up a 5513! Will post pics when I'm done

NCRich

Thanks gentlemen! I've got a 6538 coming in along with Tiger big ball gold handset and rafflestime gilt dial. Good times, good times.

Doug75

Excellent post and brave move. I've also been impressed with Bonesey's tutorial but haven't got the balls to try yet. Think you might of given me a push to attempt something. Well done.

Kleen™

The Dude approves!

Robin195959

Looks great buddy. Any before pics?

jakethemouse
Thanks gentlemen! I've got a 6538 coming in along with Tiger big ball gold handset and rafflestime gilt dial. Good times, good times.

Look forward to seeing the 6538. Keep us posted.

Amazing work, wouldn't even know it was your first attempt.