Nightwatch

Shaping the 6154 - Picture Tutorial

Nightwatch

The image below shows an authentic 6154 against a 6152/1 note how much thinner the 6154 is and also note the shape along the centre edge its almost a sharp line...Below I will try to get close to the size of the authentic version and also I'll try to replicate the angle line that runs through the side of the case...

6154shape-001.JPG

Below I have used an industrial grinder to lower the overall height...don't worry if you don't have this equipment simply skip this part. The Silix case is fairly thin and there are still other modifications you can do to improve the case as shown below....

6154shape-002.JPG

Getting the shape...there are no short cuts, here I am using a 6 inch file to shape the case. If this is your first attempt to do this then practice on a piece of metal first.... try and file an angle edge whilst making a dead straight line....If you don't get this line straight your case will look a mess, this is a common error on many cases. Its not easy to do so practice again and again because you may have only one attempt to get it right on your case!

6154shape-003.JPG

I have smoothed the case with some wet and dry but I am not happy with the line...I'll go back and re-work it again, its close but it needs some small adjustment

6154shape-004.JPG

This looks better the line is nice and straight.... once the case has been polished it will show any flaws or errors so take your time to get this part correct...you may need to make a few adjustments it doesn't always work first time...so be patient

6154shape-008.JPG

Heres the other side

6154shape-005.JPG

6154shape-006.JPG

Here we can see the different thicknesses note how the lugs have been made smaller.

6154shape-011.JPG

Before and After.....here we can see a view from below and a comparison of a Brand New Silix 6154 case against the modified one, note how much thinner the modified one is...

6154shape-012.JPG

Another comparison, its easy to see just how much thinner the new case is, and also how the shaping is much more defined

6154shape-013.JPG

Andei3000

Thanks G,

another sticky in my list.

Now I just have to get some spare time to finish my 6154.

Pentax

Amazing work G