Sign in to follow this  
Malaysiamel

Rolex scammers vs. Rolex heros

Malaysiamel

I have worn my old Submariner 1680 daily for 45 years now and it still keeps great time but since I treat it without respect the bracelet is scratched up pretty bad so I decided to part with it an replace it with a rep. The best looking website I found was bestreplica.sr BUT there were a couple of sour notes - like they wanted payment by Western Union and said they would build up each watch by hand so it would be a while before my watch was delivered. A bit of research turned up a bunch of people who paid but never got their watches!!! OK so we don't live in a perfect world and the web is full of scammers....

And then I found this forum and learned about TC watches WOW I'm sold. So now I'm putting my vintage Submariner up for sale and then order a custom Submariner from TC.

Thanks guys

insert-here

Cool! I bet a year from now you'll have 25 watches or more!

GenTLe

So now I'm putting my vintage Submariner up for sale

DON'T do it!

Keep it. Maybe let Rolex to service it and bring it to its magnificence (it will be expensive) but keep it... AND buy a rep.

Malaysiamel

But think of all the beer I can buy when I sell my olde Submariner :)

myaz

The beer, you'll only rent, whereas the gen sub is a keeper as per GenTle. :B):

nashe_chung

DON'T do it!

Keep it. Maybe let Rolex to service it and bring it to its magnificence (it will be expensive) but keep it... AND buy a rep.

i definitely second that motion. i was kinda shocked you wanna sell it. the way the vintage rolex guys go you may end up 5 years down the line with the next big rolex in your possession

Malaysiamel
DON'T do it! Keep it. Maybe let Rolex to service it and bring it to its magnificence (it will be expensive) but keep it... AND buy a rep.

See I am one of those funny people who think they should have some say in the way their money is spent and my local Rolex seems to think they can spend my money as they choose (they decided I needed a new dial but they could not match the old Red Submariner dial so they put a new white one in and in 15 minutes decreased the value of my watch by 50%) so its not going into Rolex again.

Malaysiamel
DON'T do it! Keep it. Maybe let Rolex to service it and bring it to its magnificence (it will be expensive) but keep it... AND buy a rep.
i definitely second that motion. i was kinda shocked you wanna sell it. the way the vintage rolex guys go you may end up 5 years down the line with the next big rolex in your possession

Well its already worth much more than I paid for it, but the red dial snafu dropped the value from $15,000 to $7500

Malaysiamel

Hmmm... does anyone here have (or know where I can get) a "red" 1680 dial for a reasonable price? But even at that I would still need a new bracelet

Edited by Malaysiamel

Baldrick

Photos...or it never happened !!!

Kcore

Glad you did your homework and didn't get scammed. Glad you found this forum and TC. As far as your old sub, you didn't ask for anyone's opinion what you should do with it. You just said " thank you" to the forum. It's amazing how some people just offer their unsolicited opinion and advice. Geeseh. Do whatever you want to do. Keep it, sell it and buy beer, sell it and buy a TC sub, buy both, spray paint the dial purple, throw it off a roof. Who gives a fuck, it's your watch, your money, your decision.

Welcome!

N.Rico

welcome mate !

if I were you I wont sell my oldest piece , yours have so many stories to tell next to you,

I would like to see some pics ,here in the forum every time you talk about a piece we demands pics .

enjoy the forum .

pallidum

By red you mean red text saying "submariner" correct? If I'm not mistaking, that should be the part of the watch that gives its value, so I doubt you are likely to find a replacement. I sure whole your local Rolex AD didn't throw away the dial?! Vintage patina is highly sought after. Pics please!

trailboss99

RSC (Rolex Service Center) should never be trusted with a vintage piece, I bet they polished the crap outa it as well.

They should have returned your dial, it's your property and is worth a pretty penny to boot.

Malaysiamel

Got a message from Jaun G on Jabber talk but for some reason I can't retrieve it. If you're about Jaun I'm not ignoring you. Ok Pictures of the old faithful 1680 - I do have a few but they aren't the best but let me figure out how to upload them and I will.

Kcore

See I am one of those funny people who think they should have some say in the way their money is spent and my local Rolex seems to think they can spend my money as they choose (they decided I needed a new dial but they could not match the old Red Submariner dial so they put a new white one in and in 15 minutes decreased the value of my watch by 50%) so its not going into Rolex again.

Something is just not right with OPs statement with regard to a Rolex AD or Service Center taking a vintage Sub and replacing a dial "without" any authorization. Sorry but I have had my gen Rolex watches serviced a few times and on each and every occasion the AD & Service Center contacted me to discuss what service(s) they believed were in order. On each occasion I was also provided with a written estimate itemizing services and costs. At no time were any services performed without my express permission.

peteya

TC is great. Glad you did your research. Great thread title btw ;)

Malaysiamel

LOL Kcore that may be the way things work back in the world but the rules change when you get to Asia (which is where I am) - I used to have to battle Rolex every service about something so now I have a local watchsmith at a Rolex dealer that I go to.

Baldrick

Still no fotys :B):

Genius

To me it sounds like you have fallen out of love with your rolex after the dial situation... So I say go for it. Flog the old one buy a TC you will be very impressed with his work, and will have 7 grand left to spend on blow and hookers win win

Kcore
LOL Kcore that may be the way things work back in the world but the rules change when you get to Asia (which is where I am) - I used to have to battle Rolex every service about something so now I have a local watchsmith at a Rolex dealer that I go to.

Damn, that's just crazy! Very sorry to hear that's the way it works in Asia. If that was my watch and an authorized Rolex Service Center pulled that crap, there would be more than a simple battle.

I know this is unsolicited advice, but I would compose a professional but serious correspondence explaining all that has transpired, all the aggravation, money and time spent. Don't bother sending to Rolex SA, but instead send it to the parties I've outlined below. Make sure on the letter to Rolex Holding, it is clear a cc was sent to Berchem's attention.

Rolex SA immediate parent is, Rolex Holding SA, Rue Francois-Dussand 3-7 1227 Les Acaias Geneve Switzerland and its Chairman of the Board is, Bertrand Henri Grosand. Rolex's ultimate parent is, Fondation Hans Wilsdorf, Place D'Armes 20 1227 Darouge Geneve Switzerland. Their president is, Costin van Berchem.

Kcore
To me it sounds like you have fallen out of love with your rolex after the dial situation... So I say go for it. Flog the old one buy a TC you will be very impressed with his work, and will have 7 grand left to spend on blow and hookers win win

What am I missing. Don't hookers blow :lmao:

ccart

DON'T do it!

I third that motion, I bought a gorgeous Sub C from TC - can't fault it. Several months later, I came across my holy grail gen.... and take it from me (a lady) the real deal is not to cast asunder, I will never wear my sub again, only because the gen is incredible! KEEP that puppy or you'll regret it..... AND buy the rep from TC - highly recommend him.....and his team.

xj4sonx

DON'T do it!

I third that motion, I bought a gorgeous Sub C from TC - can't fault it. Several months later, I came across my holy grail gen.... and take it from me (a lady) the real deal is not to cast asunder, I will never wear my sub again, only because the gen is incredible! KEEP that puppy or you'll regret it..... AND buy the rep from TC - highly recommend him.....and his team.

You sure you bought a subC from tC? Or are you highly mistaken