Sign in to follow this  
JerAnt

Titanium? Sure. Swiss ETA 2824? Yup. 200M WR, lume? Right. Included winder? Indeed. Under $200? Fuck Yeah!

JerAnt

I am REALLY liking the cost / quality curve of watches from Swiss Legend, and for me, the look of many of their models is quite appealing. The range of available styles and movements is as broad as the prices range for same, so there is quite likely something to appeal to most. In this particular review though, I am talking about my recently acquired $180 USD - predictably on sale now as I write this for $20 off - Commander Limited Edition Automatic.

25185691325_dfb731d910_b.jpg

Like I hinted in the post title, this Commander Automatic comes with a nicely brushed titanium bezel, 46mm brushed titanium case, brushed titanium buckle on a silicone strap (black strap mounted, spare white strap with spring bars included in the box). It offers 200M water resistance, lumed hands and markers, a proper Swiss ETA 2824 movement, and is packaged in an bonus single watch winder.

24926853270_c08d1029a6_c.jpg

The black face is large with greyish-white indices and markings that are crisp and easy to read. They're protected behind a flat sapphitek crystal, Swiss Legends' proprietary synthetic sapphire. I'm not sure how the crystal compares to sapphire long term for durability, but I haven't managed to scratch the sapphitek on any of my Swiss Legend watches yet.

25067415572_763e236581_c.jpg

The partial sapphitek display back lets you see a nicely decorated rotor and a proper ETA 2824 automatic movement. Not Asian, Swiss! As expected, the movement is quiet, starts its buttery smooth sweep with a few quick swirls, and setting the time and date is a joy - the date rolls over at precisely midnight when not using the quick set feature.

25067411232_eb0449a9b0_c.jpg

25185688925_c0c0b0e5d5_c.jpg

As far as lume on the hands and markers goes, it is quite acceptable but definitely not an all-night champ. The lume glows like radioactive waste when first fully charged, and will last in that state for a good 10 - 15 minutes. It fades over the next 45 minutes or so to resemble a distant firefly, really only visible in a completely dark room if you're looking for it. After an hour, I lost interest in observing it fade further, but rest assured you won't wake up to it glowing in your watch box in the morning.

24817981379_b28e327466_c.jpg

The unidirectional titanium bezel is nice and tight, and rotates with 120 solid clicks. I should mention that while the clicks are solid from one position to the next, you can wiggle the bezel back and forth a little bit at each position. You have to try to wiggle it though - it will not flop around on its own or move while wearing the watch.

24817981709_1cfc6488b2_c.jpg

The included watch winder is a nice bonus. It seems quite solid, and is wrapped in Swiss Legend orange leatherette. The cradle the watch straps onto for insertion into the winder is spring-loaded, and so easily accommodates watches with either straps or sized bracelets and it will be securely held in place during operation.

24555004064_464d5e2d80_c.jpg

For timing cycles, the winder offers 3 settings:

• Run for 2 minutes, stop for 25, repeat (640 turns per day)
  • Run for 2 minutes, stop for 16, repeat (950 turns per day)
  • Run for 2 minutes, stop for 10, repeat (1440 turns per day)

You also have 3 choices for the winding direction

• clockwise for the selected timing cycle
  • counter-clockwise for the selected timing cycle
  • alternating directions for the selected timing cycle

The winder can be powered with a supplied AC adapter, or you can use 4 AA batteries. In operation, it`s pretty quiet - not dead silent if you listen for it, but certainly not bothersome.

Now onto the rest of the pictures. (I only hope the next 2 Swiss Legends I have in flight now are as good .. but I'm not worried, I'm confident they will be!)

25159337866_4971b584bb_c.jpg

24555008134_53bbb5c57e_c.jpg

24555008364_b9d26568ca_c.jpg

25159336406_c23dfe4880_c.jpg

25304103626_b68eb0b59f_b.jpg

24962670889_634b48710c_c.jpg

Robin195959

Lots of watch and more for the money. Nice catch.

JerAnt

Lots of watch and more for the money. Nice catch.

Thanks! Inexpensive, comfortable to wear, and I don't have to worry about it during our West coast rainy season - I love it!

insert-here

What are the dimensions?

NFleischer

Good deal! I 've looked at the Abyssos line as well. All under $300.

BTW- where did you get it?

Edited by NFleischer

BadPickle

That's a beast :D

Nice pick up and a really great write up :thumbsup:

Sakurai

Nice catch, where did you get it from?

Congratulations and enjoy!

jakethemouse

WOW great write up. Great Price. I just looked up the watch winder and it cost $100 alone.

I would also like to know where you got it.

dave47

I am REALLY liking the cost / quality curve of watches from Swiss Legend, and for me, the look of many of their models is quite appealing. The range of available styles and movements is as broad as the prices range for same, so there is quite likely something to appeal to most. In this particular review though, I am talking about my recently acquired $180 USD - predictably on sale now as I write this for $20 off - Commander Limited Edition Automatic.

25185691325_dfb731d910_b.jpg

Like I hinted in the post title, this Commander Automatic comes with a nicely brushed titanium bezel, 46mm brushed titanium case, brushed titanium buckle on a silicone strap (black strap mounted, spare white strap with spring bars included in the box). It offers 200M water resistance, lumed hands and markers, a proper Swiss ETA 2824 movement, and is packaged in an bonus single watch winder.

24926853270_c08d1029a6_c.jpg

The black face is large with greyish-white indices and markings that are crisp and easy to read. They're protected behind a flat sapphitek crystal, Swiss Legends' proprietary synthetic sapphire. I'm not sure how the crystal compares to sapphire long term for durability, but I haven't managed to scratch the sapphitek on any of my Swiss Legend watches yet.

25067415572_763e236581_c.jpg

The partial sapphitek display back lets you see a nicely decorated rotor and a proper ETA 2824 automatic movement. Not Asian, Swiss! As expected, the movement is quiet, starts its buttery smooth sweep with a few quick swirls, and setting the time and date is a joy - the date rolls over at precisely midnight when not using the quick set feature.

25067411232_eb0449a9b0_c.jpg

25185688925_c0c0b0e5d5_c.jpg

As far as lume on the hands and markers goes, it is quite acceptable but definitely not an all-night champ. The lume glows like radioactive waste when first fully charged, and will last in that state for a good 10 - 15 minutes. It fades over the next 45 minutes or so to resemble a distant firefly, really only visible in a completely dark room if you're looking for it. After an hour, I lost interest in observing it fade further, but rest assured you won't wake up to it glowing in your watch box in the morning.

24817981379_b28e327466_c.jpg

The unidirectional titanium bezel is nice and tight, and rotates with 120 solid clicks. I should mention that while the clicks are solid from one position to the next, you can wiggle the bezel back and forth a little bit at each position. You have to try to wiggle it though - it will not flop around on its own or move while wearing the watch.

24817981709_1cfc6488b2_c.jpg

The included watch winder is a nice bonus. It seems quite solid, and is wrapped in Swiss Legend orange leatherette. The cradle the watch straps onto for insertion into the winder is spring-loaded, and so easily accommodates watches with either straps or sized bracelets and it will be securely held in place during operation.

24555004064_464d5e2d80_c.jpg

For timing cycles, the winder offers 3 settings:

• Run for 2 minutes, stop for 25, repeat (640 turns per day)
  • Run for 2 minutes, stop for 16, repeat (950 turns per day)
  • Run for 2 minutes, stop for 10, repeat (1440 turns per day)

You also have 3 choices for the winding direction

• clockwise for the selected timing cycle
  • counter-clockwise for the selected timing cycle
  • alternating directions for the selected timing cycle

The winder can be powered with a supplied AC adapter, or you can use 4 AA batteries. In operation, it`s pretty quiet - not dead silent if you listen for it, but certainly not bothersome.

Now onto the rest of the pictures. (I only hope the next 2 Swiss Legends I have in flight now are as good .. but I'm not worried, I'm confident they will be!)

25159337866_4971b584bb_c.jpg

24555008134_53bbb5c57e_c.jpg

24555008364_b9d26568ca_c.jpg

25159336406_c23dfe4880_c.jpg

25304103626_b68eb0b59f_b.jpg

24962670889_634b48710c_c.jpg

Very good brief review, mate! Swiss Legend is really a sleeper watch and is quite durable (at least in my experience). One thing, though, sometimes, some models are NOT Swiss made but do possess a Swiss - made movement -- something I've always checked. Regardless, you have a real "big-bang-for-the-buck;" and thanks to your review, I'll be hunting for the Swiss Commander myself. Thanks for the review.

dave

Simms

A lot of watch for the money. Congrats, enjoy!

JSJ

Looks great and a super review thanks. Just wondering how much a gen ETA 2824 is? Maybe more than this whole package?

JerAnt

What are the dimensions?

The case is 46mm (without the crown), and I measure about 50mm including the crown. Lug to lug, by my measurement, is about 60mm. All the larger Swiss Legend watches have kind of a curved cradle though - so they seem to fit a pretty good range of wrist sizes comfortably. Mine is just over 8", while my son has roughly a 7"'wrist. Fits us both fine.

JerAnt

Good deal! I 've looked at the Abyssos line as well. All under $300.

BTW- where did you get it?

They are good value for money for sure.

I keep hunting the Abyssos as well - but I always seem to miss the blue dial version I really want whenever it goes on sale (and I can't make myself pay full price knowing I can get a bargain). There are several of Abyssos in the WoW $50 off sale right now at this link ... just not the blue dial one.

The Commander auto I bought is at this WoW link, but there are quite a few colour combinations (as well as even less expensive quartz versions of the Commander).

JerAnt

That's a beast :D

Nice pick up and a really great write up :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm finding photography more fun these days so that takes the chore out of doing a write up.

JerAnt

@Sakurai and @jakethemouse. Thanks gents!

The particular Commander Auto I bought is at this World of Watches link, but there are quite a few colour combinations available (as well as even less expensive quartz versions of the Commander).

JerAnt

Very good brief review, mate! Swiss Legend is really a sleeper watch and is quite durable (at least in my experience). One thing, though, sometimes, some models are NOT Swiss made but do possess a Swiss - made movement -- something I've always checked. Regardless, you have a real "big-bang-for-the-buck;" and thanks to your review, I'll be hunting for the Swiss Commander myself. Thanks for the review.

dave

Thanks Dave!

This one definitely fits in that category - Swiss made movement, but doesn't qualify for the "Swiss Made" label overall. Very solid, well built watch regardless.

JerAnt

Looks great and a super review thanks. Just wondering how much a gen ETA 2824 is? Maybe more than this whole package?

Thanks! Great point about the movement price too - I just did a quick search on ofrei and it seems to be $239 - way more than the whole package. Yikes!

JerAnt

A lot of watch for the money. Congrats, enjoy!

Thank you!

redfire51

Good craftsmanship...

NFleischer

PS they are on sale now for an additional 10% off at world of watches

NFleischer

516B60C7-5726-495F-A39B-F19E5B6D7823_zpsklqy2gcn.jpg

This just in- super sale for $175! I really don't buy the Swiss Made label, not even sure about Swiss movement. Also 1000M WR??, I tend to doubt that

also. (I thought I even noticed a bit of condensation under the crystal). Still a beast of a watch for the $$$ I don't think it's solid gold either.

Sifu Whitey

Water resistant to one million feet. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i2NncpcC.jpeg"]http://i2NncpcC.jpeg[/url]

Dendo

Great value - makes you wonder about pricing for medium and high price gens

JerAnt

516B60C7-5726-495F-A39B-F19E5B6D7823_zpsklqy2gcn.jpg

This just in- super sale for $175! I really don't buy the Swiss Made label, not even sure about Swiss movement. Also 1000M WR??, I tend to doubt that

also. (I thought I even noticed a bit of condensation under the crystal). Still a beast of a watch for the $$$

Nice, and congrats!

I finally caved and purchased the blue dial Abyssos a few days ago - now it's just the waiting game on WoW's super slow shipping ...