Sign in to follow this  
boredpanda

help me save my strap ~

boredpanda

So I've gotten my hands at trying to make watch straps but failed terribly.

I've tried to make 2 straps, the first one I tried was a blue croc for my PAM111 (which needs a 24/22 strap) and then a green lizard for my orient bambino (which needs a 21/20 strap)

I have 3 big issues now:

1) I might have cut them slightly too big and after adding edge paint it measures close to 26mm lugside

2) The lug hole for my blue croc is too small.. I didn't use a placeholder big enough to fit a tube when making the strap (bad mistake)

3) The shorter end can't fit through the buckle properly, and I suspect even if it fits through it won't go in much (reason being I tapered the strap straight from lugside to buckle side)

I need some advice from fellow strapmakers here on how should I go about tapering my strap

And also, what should I do with these 2 straps I made.. It seem like a waste if I just throw them away. Can they still be fixed?

25128296043_571603b520_h.jpg

25128295013_ca189246b5_h.jpg

25754900365_796bd3f710_h.jpg

25124461404_6f47bb5cb9_h.jpg

25124461114_3bec403b65_h.jpg

25128293003_1efbd47477_h.jpg

McJules

Let me try to help you with that, we all made beginner's errors at first.

for the lug hole, there isn't much you can do but the tube is not necessary with a pam. You can slide the bar right through the strap.

If you wanna try something, try getting a few drops of water inside the hole and go through gradualy with a bigger stick or needle. It's might make it a bit bigger.

As for the width, you will need to cut it or sand a bit and redo your edges. There's nothing much you could do appart from that.

If that can help, as i don't know how you make your straps, i always trace my pattern on a thin layer of leather that will be the body of the strap. That way, you get a proper control on the width you need.

As it's been said many times before in many threads about leather work (not just here), measure twice, cut once.

I hope this can help

Cheers!

boredpanda

Thanks McJules!

I guess I'll try to cut it, too far off to sand right now =\

I trace on the leather with a scratch awl, either I wasn't measuring it right or I messed up my cut.

Btw, do you have any tips on how much allowance of leather to give? Like do you cut 24mm straight or slightly more

McJules

i always cut the right measurements and sand a little to allow some place for the edge coat.

try to cut your current strap using a steel ruler to guide and cut only thin layers at once so you don't end up with narrower strap than what's needed

Abe Fromen

When I make straps, say a 24x24, I try to make the head end about 24.5 if using Edge Kote or 25mm if raw, to get a tight fit. Similarly, I'll taper the tail end to 23mm (so half a mm off each side) to ensure it'll glide through the buckle easily.

I also use steel skewers (like for making kabobs) when gluing to ensure the strap bar will have space. I tried wood but they can break and then it's a PITA to get them out.

boredpanda

i always cut the right measurements and sand a little to allow some place for the edge coat.

try to cut your current strap using a steel ruler to guide and cut only thin layers at once so you don't end up with narrower strap than what's needed

good idea, probably should cut bit by bit..

When I make straps, say a 24x24, I try to make the head end about 24.5 if using Edge Kote or 25mm if raw, to get a tight fit. Similarly, I'll taper the tail end to 23mm (so half a mm off each side) to ensure it'll glide through the buckle easily.

I also use steel skewers (like for making kabobs) when gluing to ensure the strap bar will have space. I tried wood but they can break and then it's a PITA to get them out.

why do you make it 24.5 or 25mm when it's for a 24mm strap? :o

Wouldn't that just make the strap very hard to fit? And also you taper the tail to 23mm when you are trying to make 24x24 strap?

Am I missing anything I don't know =\

narikaa

You have 3 Big Issues

did you sell all the others?

boredpanda

You have 3 Big Issues

Hmm, what are the 3 big issues?

And what did you mean sell all the others.

jeffrsho

What are you cutting the leather with? I use a rotary knife and a steel ruler. It makes life much easier and you can control your cuts better. The rotary knife also make it easier to cut small bits if larger off if you do cut it too large. Measure twice and cut once is the key...

BadPickle
You have 3 Big Issues

:lmao2:

boredpanda

What are you cutting the leather with? I use a rotary knife and a steel ruler. It makes life much easier and you can control your cuts better. The rotary knife also make it easier to cut small bits if larger off if you do cut it too large. Measure twice and cut once is the key...

You have 3 Big Issues

:lmao2:

i think i got it ;D

right now i'm using a utility kind of knife? you know like those penknife but it's fat and thick with one blade that can be swapped out.. and a steel ruler

haven't tried rotary knife though, if it's good i might give it a try someday

guess i'll have to practice my measuring skills then :help3:

McJules

utility knife is fine too. That's what i use as well with my steel ruler.

just make sure the blade is always sharp

boredpanda

utility knife is fine too. That's what i use as well with my steel ruler.

just make sure the blade is always sharp

Noted! I'll practice some more, will post a thread again when I succeed!

MDK

Don't give up with straps, I made plenty of mistakes, rewarding when you get it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peteins
You have 3 Big Issues

Hah, so witty :lol:

Abe Fromen

good idea, probably should cut bit by bit..

why do you make it 24.5 or 25mm when it's for a 24mm strap? :o

Wouldn't that just make the strap very hard to fit? And also you taper the tail to 23mm when you are trying to make 24x24 strap?

Am I missing anything I don't know =\

Yes, I typically make mine a half millimeter to a full millimeter wider at the watch head end. Yes they are tighter to fit but it ensures the lug looks 'full' of strap and if I do end up making a mistake, it gives me a little insurance room. ;)

And yes, I taper my 24X24 strap tails to 23mm. As I said, it's so they can glide through the buckle easier. This is particularly handy when you have a really thick strap.