Sign in to follow this  
SteveR123

What movement ticks the loudest?

SteveR123

I've been looking for and reading some review on vintage and others, wherein owners have commented on how much they enjoy the loud ticking sounds from some of their watches. Unfortunately, they didn't comment much on which movements they had (one mentioned ST 3600.) Is ticking a 'feature' of certain movements going for a vintage feel and if one were to want such a feature which movements would offer that sound?

tia

greg_r

The 6497 is probably the loudest of the movements commonly found in reps.

A lot of so-called 'vintage' style watches are built around old pocketwatch movements (whether modern editions such as the 6497 or older Rolex, Cortebert, Angelus, Hamilton, Elgin or other movements) and most are noisier than modern autos.

Baldrick
Is ticking a 'feature' of certain movements going for a vintage feel and if one were to want such a feature which movements would offer that sound?

I think it should be compulsory for all dealers to describe the ticking of their watches, perhaps we could figure out some sort of scale to indicate loudness, maybe something like, is it laying flat, on crown side, face down, quiet room, loud room, boiler room, age of buyer, degree of deafness, size of ear lugs, sleep on right side or left side, head under the blankets is it still audible, how far away your night stand is, are there objects such as a water glass that may cause ticking reverberation etc etc.

If it doesn't tick to a certain standard will the dealer replace or repair, can the caseback be hollowed out a little to increase the volume allowing more air and louder ticking. :lol:

Aren
:lol: @ Baldrick

Member X

Ignore Balders ;) lol

I believe a lot of older handwind movements from the mid-20th Century and before are louder, whereas the newer ones are a bit quieter but still noticeable (in a good way :lol:)

mspangl

the loudest movement is my swiss 6497 in a pam 201a // BUT it keeps amazing time

loudest rotor : chopard mille miglia 21j :lol:;):huh:

turnipz

I have a loud one but pressing down on the glass shuts it up, perhaps you can mod the glass on yours to make it louder?

I would think it'd be neat with a higher beat but with a low beat movement its more annoying than quartz.

Fiddo
The 6497 is probably the loudest of the movements commonly found in reps.

A lot of so-called 'vintage' style watches are built around old pocketwatch movements (whether modern editions such as the 6497 or older Rolex, Cortebert, Angelus, Hamilton, Elgin or other movements) and most are noisier than modern autos.

The 6497 in a ti (PAM 176) case is probably the loudest one I have.

d1isthe1
Is ticking a 'feature' of certain movements going for a vintage feel and if one were to want such a feature which movements would offer that sound?

I think it should be compulsory for all dealers to describe the ticking of their watches, perhaps we could figure out some sort of scale to indicate loudness, maybe something like, is it laying flat, on crown side, face down, quiet room, loud room, boiler room, age of buyer, degree of deafness, size of ear lugs, sleep on right side or left side, head under the blankets is it still audible, how far away your night stand is, are there objects such as a water glass that may cause ticking reverberation etc etc.

If it doesn't tick to a certain standard will the dealer replace or repair, can the caseback be hollowed out a little to increase the volume allowing more air and louder ticking. :blink:

B)

narikaa

Trainspotterism reaches new depths

:lol:

Baldrick

Anokarism reaches new altitudes :lol:

graman

The one that's closest to your ear, with no other ambient noise.

'nuff said. B)