ower

How to silence your noisy rotor (tutorial with some pics)

ower

Hi guys,

recently I bought beautiful replicas of 15000 gauss Omega and Bell and Ross BR123 watches. I was happy with the looks, but their supernoisy rotors drove me crazy and the watches did not get too much wristtime just because of the fact I could always hear the rotor movements. I tried to search this forum and many people recomended tightening the screws on rotors and oiling/greasing the bearings. I did not find any tutorial though and since I am not a watchmaker and I assume some of you are in the same position, I decided to put a few photos here. I have to tell you, my two beauties are now silent as never before and it is pleasure to wear them! Onto the pics, step by step.

Shown procedure on beautiful Omega Aqua Terra 15000 Gauss.

IMG_4585.jpg?ver=1

1) Remove the case back, since I don't posess special tools, I use the micrometer :ninja:

IMG_4584.jpg?ver=0

2) Sometimes the rotor tightening screw is hidden a bit (at least in case of BR123 and Omega AT it is). Just take some sharp needle or tiny screwdriver and pop the covering washer out.

IMG_4578.jpg?ver=1

IMG_4579.jpg?ver=1

3) Remove the rotor weight tightening screw and remove the rotor, you should see a (ball) bearing. Apply some grease on it, try to get the grease inside to the balls. I am leaving a bit on the outside as well to make a little bit more friction for the rotor so it does not spin around like crazy.

IMG_4581.jpg?ver=1

4) I prefer using bearing grease to the oil since it creates a bit more friction and will not float out further into the watch movement

IMG_4582.jpg?ver=1

And that's it! Put the rotor back, tighten the screw so everything is snug, clap in the washer, put on the caseback and enjoy no strange sounds! With BR123 and other watch it will be similar.

Cheers,

Ondra

IMG_4586.jpg?ver=0

Abe Fromen

This is good, but you should use proper oil designed for watch lubrication. Mobius is the correct lubricant and while expensive, is worth it to know your bearings are getting the grease/oil designed for your watch. Also, ensure you don't put too much because too much will move onto other watch parts in the movement and potentially create issues that will need addressing (like a sticky balance spring).

mauricio612

Do not take it the wrong way buddy but I think your strap choice is very inappropriate for this watch.

Pure B

I also use bearing grease for the reason it really silences the rotor a lot. Because the grease is thicker than Mobius oil the rotor has les play and prevents the backspin on 7750 movements.. It's also way too think to get to other parts of the movement.

TheTinMan

This should really be done at the factory, but I digress.

Genius

Do not take it the wrong way buddy but I think your strap choice is very inappropriate for this watch.

I think it looks great on that strap.... What about it do you find inappropriate?

SteveSMP

Good to know how you think....

I think it's kind a cool combo!

Thanks for sharing OP!

BadPickle

introducing non watch related products into a horological micro engineering environment.......... what could possibly go wrong :ohwell:

shokka9

Is it just me or the strap choice is really bad? I think it looks great http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=102095

Nothing wrong with it mate. Looks perfectly fine to me, and to most people here or elsewhere for that matter.

Don't mind mauricio612, he's just a cunt waiting to get fucked.

mauricio612

Is it just me or the strap choice is really bad? I think it looks great http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=102095

I like you too bud. It is just my opinion and I knew what was coming after I said that.

This bumpy leather strap is suitable for a breitling, tag carrera, or any other nasty aggressive type of watch.

This aquaterra model is too refined for that. I would put a flat/thin leather, with some texture effect or croco.

Pure B

An AT on croc will look horrible

Theduke.williams

Count me in as another member who likes the black calf with yellow stitching on the aqua terra.

I can't understand what's innapropriate about it!

I must say I'd be sceptical about using bearing grease, I'd shell out the extra for Mobius oil.

Seems like putting SupaSaver 20-50w general motor oil in your £1m Pagani Huayra (or at least your £30,000 Chinese clone).

shokka9

I like you too bud. It is just my opinion and I knew what was coming after I said that.

This bumpy leather strap is suitable for a breitling, tag carrera, or any other nasty aggressive type of watch.

This aquaterra model is too refined for that. I would put a flat/thin leather, with some texture effect or croco.

It's all relative.

If someone likes it, then it perfect for them.

Same way, you like what you like. There is no need for you to go out of your way to tell someone it looks shit.

Especially in a thread which is not about the strap or watch in particular.

Genius

And i may have seen where you where coming from if it was a standard AT but this is the gauss one with the stripy second hand....

mauricio612

It was not to be taken so seriously, let's go back to the main subject unless OP wants to go on and post a wristie of that watch on that strap so everyone can see I am right

Abe Fromen

I think the strap is a perfect match. I'd go with that one too. Great combo.

Skrimps

Call me ghetto, but I actually took a piece of tape and just tapped my rotor down. Drove me crazy with the whirling sound and now I just hand wind them. Had to do that to an Omega I had as well as a Hublot. Never wore the Hublot until I did this and now it's a daily for me.

Genius

introducing non watch related products into a horological micro engineering environment.......... what could possibly go wrong :ohwell:

Worst case in this instance you knacker a £20 miyota movement and have to swap it out?

Robeng

Or you could follow Robengs highly sophisticated and very complicated fix...Look it up..I call it the Basildon Bond method ha ha.

Strap looks ok by the way.

splke

cheers lad straight forward enough and if the grease shags it which I doubt it will be a cheap swap for a replacement movement

oh and the strap looks the dogs

markeym3

I used grease on noisey rotor ... worked a treat .. didn't use shed loads but really worked. .

the strap looks good to me ...

Gazzla

Strap looks good to me . . . ;)

85l5wMB.jpg?2

mauricio612
Strap looks good to me . . . ;)

85l5wMB.jpg?2

Your strap was fantastic on that superocean abyss

This is a very different type of watch.

How can it look good on both?

splke

edited cos I really cant be arsed