Sign in to follow this  
thunder92

Really water resistant?

thunder92

Ok, I have the hublot big bang from timeshops. Nice watch. It says on their site "water resistant". Can anyone verify that their watches that state this are safe in water???

AllergyDoc

You can have it tested. We have a watch shop at our mall that can test it. Call around. Chrono watches are more difficult to make water resistant. For swimming, etc., I would stick with watches designed to go in the water, like dive watches.

torobravo

Most of the high-end reps are waterproof, but you have to make sure about a few things BEFORE

- Crown is properly closed otherwise a few drops might get inside

- Rubber garment on the backside and a little silicone gel applied, and of course, closed and sealed in good condition

..Than you won´t have any problem

Tristan123

Am i missing something here??

it says water resistant, not water proof!!!!!!!!!

i wouldnt put it anywhere near a tap never mind a pool

thunder92

I don't feel the urge to swim with it or anything but I wanted to see if I always have to take it off to shower with or be careful in the rain etc.....

NFleischer

No watches say 'water proof', even gens. They have different degrees of 'water resistance'

A watch that says 200 meters is safe for swimming or snorkeling, not to 200 meters deep sea diving!

Tristan123
No watches say 'water proof', even gens. They have different degrees of 'water resistance'

A watch that says 200 meters is safe for swimming or snorkeling, not to 200 meters deep sea diving!

im not being funny,!!!!!! but surely that is just misleading , unless you have a really deep bath???

Luthier
I don't feel the urge to swim with it or anything but I wanted to see if I always have to take it off to shower with or be careful in the rain etc.....

Why you need a watch in the shower?

It will fall down from your dick anyway.

WebWind

You can easily find Water resistance classification on Wikipedia

I can't see reason why to go to shower with watch. If I really need watch in pool for some reasons I have my old Casio for it.

barkingtoad

I have swam wearing my sub , yachty , 113 & 2 SOH's

Without any problems

Not all at the same time I add

Slim

Actually some do have "waterproof" on the dial though it's rare these days.

Eiderdaus

16600 from timeshops "waterproof" without doing anything to 16meters diving, selftested.

and gen rollies are not saying water resistant, they guarantee water proofness, would not make any sense other for a diving watch....

trailboss99

Actually some do have "waterproof" on the dial though it's rare these days.

Nope, not a modern watch they don't, see below.

16600 from timeshops "waterproof" without doing anything to 16meters diving, selftested.

and gen rollies are not saying water resistant, they guarantee water proofness, would not make any sense other for a diving watch....

No they don't, it has in fact been illegal for an EU, US or Japanese company to mark a watch as "waterproof" for quite a few years. The only permitted terms are "water resistant to xxxxx" or simply the depth rating with no added wording such as Rolex have always used. Even a DSSD is only "water resistant".

Col.

Baldrick

There is essentially no difference between water-proof and water-resistant, they are not mutually exclusive.

The word resistant means to resist or stand against, e:g, to 'resist' against water ingress, in the same way that valves or pipes are resistant to a certain degree.

The word proof means to be proofed against, e:g, to be 'proofed' against water ingress. ( much in the same way that fire-arms are 'proofed'), ONLY to a certain degree ).

In both instances they mean the same thing, to prevent water ingress, the operative term should always be accompanied by a 'rating', this means that either term can effectively be applied, but only to a specific set of parameters, e:g, in terms of pressure, atmospheric pressure @ 14.7 PSI or 1.0 bar at sea level to a rated depth level, for every 33ft foot in depth you increase the pressure by a factor of 14.7 PSI, therefore in the case of say, a Ploprof, it's maximum rated 'depth' would be 1200 meters or 3,940 ft ( approx), so 3940 / 33 = 119.39 X 14.7 = 1,755 PSI at max depth rating, that of course is a 'static' figure, if you wave your arm about ( which you are VERY likely to be doing at that depth, although not conscious of it :P ), you will increase the pressure further.

The reason that the term 'water-proof' was dropped, was by result of US legislation, to avoid pesky, Ralphy Nader type lawsuits from pesky US customers who can't tell that the difference is purely in semantics.

Slim

Interested to hear about the legislation; I didn't know that.

Omega still uses the term "waterproof" on its site, even if not on the dial.

Eiderdaus

sorry col, but you don´t have to look only on replica sites :popcorn:

On rolex website in germany it says: wasserdicht bis 300meter, translated: waterproof xxx. And my 16610 sub came with a plastic tag where: waterproof stands on it.

maybe the have a different sell strategy for canada :D

and the deepsea according to the website is Waterproof to 3,900 metres/12,800 feet. Water resistant is the section topic but there it says :WATERPROOF.

check here http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/rol...el-m116660-0001

beat that mate ! ;-)

cheers eider

trailboss99

Is it printed on the watch? No.

Col

Eiderdaus

i don´t think this was the question

Del

I still don't know why you'd want to wear a watch in a shower in any case.....:popcorn:

And as for swimming/diving with a rep, get it tested first otherwise it's pot luck :D.

andygt
subwaterproof.jpg

chum_2000_uk

Why do people get their backs up when someone asks if their reps can be worn in the shower/ pool/ washed etc? If people want to go in the shower with their watches then what is all the big fuss about? It's a genuine question/ concern, especially when people want to know if they are best off taking their watch off just to be safe when washing their hands or out in heavy rain, so why bust the OPs balls about it with shitty comments?

Edited by chum_2000_uk