Sign in to follow this  
musangpulut

Speedmaster Numbered Edition

musangpulut

Hi all!

Here is my little review of this sweet rep of Speedmaster numbered edition that I got from Toro.

This rep speedy is 39mm as per gen First Omega In Space speedy produced in 2013.Im quite impressed with the build quality and the look of it.The only Achilles heel of this rep for the is the chrono dials was spaced wider than the gen speedy due to limitation of st019 seagull movement.

However, from the distant it still look like a gen speedmaster '"reduced" automatic 3510.50 model which got the near same spaced chrono's dials.

The rep straps it totally rubbish with it's stiff leather with a cheap look. I try some other replacement straps as per below

1) Genuine alligator strap from VNhandcraft

DSC_0098.jpg

2) Horween leather with vintage stitching ( I preferred the look of this one)

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

3) JB Champion Bracelet

I plan to remove the gold plating in order to get the same look as per the original stainless steel model.

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Cheers!

Tampa_blord

Real nice! I really liked the look with the vintage strap. Suits the speedy well

nunu78

So if you changed the hand set then it could become reduce speedie?

nunu78

Love to hear from Speedie experts.

nunu78

Any Speedie expert please...

musangpulut

I think you can,but you must change the dial also,since the dial on reduced speedy the is the word 'automatic'

grinner
So if you changed the hand set then it could become reduce speedie?

I'm sure you could, but why? The hands on the Speedy reduced (or standard pro) are boring. The hands on the FOiS are beautiful, and really make this watch unique. Of course, I have a gen version, so I may be a little biased. :)

nuvolablue

Very nice. Anyone have any views. As to whether this ST19 version is better than the Asia Lemania manual wind model?

I really want to buy a speedy, just trying to find out which version is best.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Foxindebox

Very nice. Anyone have any views. As to whether this ST19 version is better than the Asia Lemania manual wind model?

The ST19 is the same movement as the incorrectly named Asia Lemania Manual wind. It is based on the Venus 175 Hand wind movement and is made by Seagull

The only difference is the dial, hands etc...

nuvolablue

The ST19 is the same movement as the incorrectly named Asia Lemania Manual wind. It is based on the Venus 175 Hand wind movement and is made by Seagull

Okay thanks for that. So basically Venus 75, Asian Lemania and ST19 are all essentially the same and based on the Seagull....... Strange then that price on these vary so much with the TD's. MR has it up for $200 and others (Josh@PC) are over $300.

Is it due to dial and hands? Will have to study the pics on their sites more closely.

Edited by nuvolablue

Foxindebox

Okay thanks for that. So basically Venus 75, Asian Lemania and ST19 are all essentially the same and based on the Seagull....... Strange then that price on these vary so much with the TD's. MR has it up for $200 and others (Josh@PC) are over $300.

Is it due to dial and hands? Will have to study the pics on their sites more closely.

Near enough... They are all the same movement which is the Seagull ST19 ;)

JSJ

In the past there have been ST-19s with more decoration but I don't think they are available at the moment. If you find one at a TD, let us know. Would be interesting.

nuvolablue

In the past there have been ST-19s with more decoration but I don't think they are available at the moment. If you find one at a TD, let us know. Would be interesting.

Here is the MR link. This looks decorated to me.

http://v.yupoo.com/photos/mrwatch/albums/27702263/

I am really keen on this version mainly because of the price (cheapskate that I am) :) so would appreciate any view points.

Edited by nuvolablue

NCRich

I'm researching this now. There is no best. It is a compromise. The most accurate is a quartz, people hate the fact automatic is not on some models, people don't like subdial spacing, people don't like subdials not being sunken, etc, etc, etc.

Any version can be obtained from any dealer. I only buy from MR so I've been talking to him. He is cheaper for the same model speedy than anyone else. Same with JKF factory vintage rolex or handwind vintage daytona. Pic the one you want and ask your preferred dealer how much he/she charges.

Pick your dealer, pick your watch. There is a huge thread on RWI about this, have some research:

aDEIUg3.jpg

nuvolablue

Wonderful thanks for that.

Did you make judgements about the subdial spacing and hands based on your own visual assessment or by reading reviews?

Edited by nuvolablue

nuvolablue

I was previously thinking about swapping out the rep dial with a gen one, but presumably the incorrect sub dial spacing will mean the pinion locations on those will be offset and so this wouldn't be possible. Can someone confirm.?

JSJ
I was previously thinking about swapping out the rep dial with a gen one, but presumably the incorrect sub dial spacing will mean the pinion locations on those will be offset and so this wouldn't be possible. Can someone confirm.?

Correct.

NCRich

Wonderful thanks for that.

Did you make judgements about the subdial spacing and hands based on your own visual assessment or by reading reviews?

Many reviews. No using gen dials even on quartz. If you are going to spend that kind of money you can buy a 39mm speedy on the bay for $1500-1700. Why bother wasting money modding one? I could see a gen plexi but I don't think I'd go much more.

nuvolablue

Thanks all for the helpful info on here. Just placed an order with my usual TD (Sora). Went for the 42mm manual wind. Subdial spacing doesn't bother me too much.

Will keep you informed.

Grepp

Good choice.

A manual speedy with a Seagull movement was my first rep, very happy with it! Subdial spacing don't bother me.

PGscqFp.png

nuvolablue
Good choice.

A manual speedy with a Seagull movement was my first rep, very happy with it! Subdial spacing don't bother me.

PGscqFp.png

That's what I'm talking about!

Very nice sir. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Do you also have the SS bracelet? Wondering how comfy these are. Always a bit hit and miss with rep bracelets I find.

Edited by nuvolablue

Grepp

That's what I'm talking about!

Very nice sir. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Do you also have the SS bracelet? Wondering how comfy these are. Always a bit hit and miss with rep bracelets I find.

Have the SS bracelet, but have never used it so can't really say how it feels in use. But as I remember it looked ok when I got it. Not the best, but not bad at all. I have a smallish wrist, so then I feel it wears better with a leather strap.

GC
IMG_20160628_123702_zpsovhnh6jl.jpg

nunu78
IMG_20160628_123702_zpsovhnh6jl.jpg

Hey GC mate, is the dial @6 is freezed?

GC

Hey GC mate, is the dial @6 is freezed?

Yes, frozen@6 subdial.