Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Rotary Aquaspeed AGB00045

greg_r

I posted about this the other day as I was lucky enough to pick this up for cheap (List is around £300 / $500).

It's a Rotary Aquaspeed AGB00045 and comes in a very nice presentation box with both a mesh bracelet (fitted) and a heavy duty rubber strap plus a good-quality springbar tool to aid in changing straps. What it doesn't come with is a screwdriver to adjust the mesh bracelet, but I guess you can't have everything :). The watch is 44mm but wears quite a bit bigger, feeling a good deal larger than a 44mm PAM. It's water resistant to 300m and the 'crown' at 10 is a helium escape valve. The movement is quartz.

The bezel is stiff and not easy to move accidentally - which is as it should be. It has a nice positive action to it. The watch as a whole feels like quality and is heavier than I expected it to be

The mesh bracelet is really good - similar to the Staib mesh with adjustable links, but fitted with a regular clasp. It's both thick and heavy and I find myself wondering how it would look on my SOH when I get it back from BL :rofl:

The dial has something of an Omega Ploprof look about it, but you couldn't really call it a Ploprof homage - the case is an entirely different shape. Lume is the best I've yet seen on a Rotary - brighter than expected. It only arrived this morning, however, so I don't know how long the lume will last.

This was something of an impulse buy - it was too good a price to pass up. Overall, this would make a really nice buy for someone after a good cheap diving watch... Whether I'll keep it long term, I dunno - I guess it depends on whether my incoming Ploprof ends up pushing this off my wrist :D

In the meantime here are the photos - sorry, no wristie yet as I haven't had chance to adjust the bracelet.

Some pics of the watch & box - the box is really very nice quality.

rot_agb045_box1.jpg

rot_agb045_box2.jpg

rot_agb045_box3.jpg

The back + bracelet. Note the presence of the dreaded TRL ;)

rot_agb045_back.jpg

rot_agb045_1.jpg

Akira

Hey G :rofl:

:)

KeNnY

nice review greg, as always :rofl: the mesh strap on this watch, can be bought from ebay for around 60-80USD :)

greg_r
Hey G :rofl:

:)

giveadamn.gif

greg_r
nice review greg, as always :rofl: the mesh strap on this watch, can be bought from ebay for around 60-80USD :)

You'll be lucky to find just the mesh on its own - they're scarce as they were not sold separately.

wat44

nicer than the plop plop (but thats not really saying much, is it?)

mulder

I actually like it G

greg_r

cheers mulder.

wat: I like the plop too - in fact I have one incoming - so sux be to you! :)

KeNnY
nice review greg, as always ;) the mesh strap on this watch, can be bought from ebay for around 60-80USD :)

You'll be lucky to find just the mesh on its own - they're scarce as they were not sold separately.

check this :D

20110216104557.jpg

20110216104337.jpg

20110216104410.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/24mm-Stainless-Steel-W...=item2a0e30ffea

http://cgi.ebay.com/22mm-Stainless-Steel-D...=item2a0e137d9d

http://cgi.ebay.com/22mm-Brush-SHARK-Mesh-...=item2eb3019cb3

This bracelet is totally the same like on you watch, but your watch has only the Sign Rotary stamped on the deploying claps.. But when I compare your pictures, the bracelet is the same :rofl: then it is easy to find mesh strap :D

Baldrick

Lovely watch Greg, looks very substantial, as you say, echoes the PP dial, with a nice case shape and coming with the mesh is a sure-fire bonus, wishing you health to wear it, great casual beater :)

greg_r
check this :D

20110216104557.jpg

This bracelet is totally the same like on you watch, but your watch has only the Sign Rotary stamped on the deploying claps.. But when I compare your pictures, the bracelet is the same :) then it is easy to find mesh strap :rofl:

Nope - wrong. I've got one of those in 24mm (same size as the Rotary) and it's not even remotely close. Not the same band at all. The one on the Rotary is VASTLY better quality - similar quality to the Staib mesh.

Lovely watch Greg, looks very substantial, as you say, echoes the PP dial, with a nice case shape and coming with the mesh is a sure-fire bonus, wishing you health to wear it, great casual beater ;)

Thanks, mate. Yeah, I think it'll make a pretty decent beater :D

KeNnY

oh ok then :) Staib mesh, hm don't what staib means for. I never had an mesh strap, so then if the rotary mesh is better quality, then ok :rofl: sorry for my ignorance, it looked similar :D

Del

Looks great - enjoy wearing it :).

Baldrick

The mesh you posted kenny is different in quality from the Rotary, the Rotary is similar to the one I have on the PloProf, thicker than the one you posted and very heavy with rounded links, I looked at your one in Bangkok, but dismissed it, the Staib is also similar to mine, with the exception of a fixed bar at the lug end which the PloProf doesn't have, the Rotary links also seem to be a little bit flattened on the surface of the links, but that might just be the angle. :lmao2:

OMEGA-PLOPROF-16.gif

OMEGA-PLOPROF-17.gif

OMEGA-PLOPROF-18.gif

KeNnY

Baldrick I have bought the same bracelet you have on your ploprof! :lmao2:

20110216134212.jpg

dingle

@ greg

:lmao2:

J/K......enjoy :D

Member X

It never fails to amaze me how Gen WIS who are completely anti-rep see the stuff Rotary does as 'allowable' when it is often barely any different to the gen it is copying! lol

This is nice though, I've seen this in the window of a local jewellers and thought it looked like a nice substantial piece :lmao2:

Good pick up!

Baldrick

I think it's viewed as 'allowable' because Rotary have a history that extends back over 100+ years, unlike Invicta, they are also still perceived as a Swiss company, despite being primarily UK focused, they've also had a number of prestigious models over the years, at one point they were almost exclusively the primary choice for retirement and company meritorious awards, a very good value brand with a strong history, Greg has two models that I would certainly have no qualms about wearing, whereas I would never contemplate wearing a POS Invicta, JMO, BIKIR. :lmao2:

Baldrick

Yes Kenny, but you don't have it on a PloProf yet, do you :lmao2:

trailboss99

You are getting sleeeeeepy . . . . . . you want to seeeeell this waaaatch . . . . . .sell it to traaaailboooooss . . . . . . .

Did it work? :lmao2:

Col

Cynikal.Mindset

not gonna lie, I kinda want one now as a vacation watch as I spend 80% of the time in or on the water. nice pick up!

Baldrick

I'd go for one of these if I didn't already have a PP tested to 3.5 bar already, great buy and I can see why its a desirable piece :lmao2:

greg_r
You are getting sleeeeeepy . . . . . . you want to seeeeell this waaaatch . . . . . .sell it to traaaailboooooss . . . . . . .

Did it work? :lol:

Col

Not even slightly :(

trailboss99

Did it work? :lol:

Col

Not even slightly :(

Rats

greg_r
The mesh you posted kenny is different in quality from the Rotary, the Rotary is similar to the one I have on the PloProf, thicker than the one you posted and very heavy with rounded links, I looked at your one in Bangkok, but dismissed it, the Staib is also similar to mine, with the exception of a fixed bar at the lug end which the PloProf doesn't have, the Rotary links also seem to be a little bit flattened on the surface of the links, but that might just be the angle. :lol:

That's a very good bracelet - one of those might well end up on my plop when it gets here. You're right, the Rotary bracelet is a little flatter on the surface - the links look a little more densely packed together, more like the SOH bracelet, whereas yours looks more like the gen Omega bracelet.