Sign in to follow this  
gtwc

To wind or not to wind? Keep 'em running?

gtwc

A fairly basic question this.....

Assuming you do not have auto-winders , do you attempt to keep all your reps running, or do you let them

run down, and re-activate as required?

At the moment my auto collection includes : Pam0076 Luminor Blackseal, Pam152 Panerai for Purdey (lion case),

Richard Mille RM005, UN Blue Surf / UN Black Ocean, Patek Aquanaut XL and Alain Silberstein (beautiful - thanks Reg / Narika).

Gens include 2 x Seiko (Blue Monster / Black Monster), a lovely little 34mm refurbed EternaMatic Centennaire '61.

Plus there are 2 manual Pams and a gen. Glycine Incursore to wind everyday!

So that's 10 automatics to keep tabs on (with more planned).

Invest in watch-winders, run down and re-start, or just spend hours each evening flapping my wrists?

any thoughts / suggestions?

greg_r

I have a winder that I never use and over 20 watches.

When wearing an automatic, I simply set the time when I put it on in the morning, give it a 'swirl' to get it started and wear it. Normal movement during the day keeps it running.

Other than that, I let watches run down and stop when I'm not wearing them. I try to rotate through all of my watches on a fairly regular basis so they all get run every 6-8 weeks anyhow - many of them get worn more often than that. I don't really see that anything else is required...

Member X

Unless you have a crown and tube that are likely to strip (SOH v2, for example) I don't have a problem with re-setting the time when I pick it up, giving it a swirl and strapping it on, as per greg's post - doesn't really take long!

I have a quartz backup that I can grab if I really don't have any time at all in the morning and have to run out the door lol (or you can just wear the same one as the day before :thumbsup2::))

Del

I let all my watches run down and stop with the exception of my PAM288 which I now keep in a winder - it's an Asian 7750 and I figure that the less I have to set/wind it then the less chance I have of buggering it up :).

wombosi

I just let them run down. When I want to use one again I just give it a wind or swirl in case of an automatic.