Sign in to follow this  
snorth89

AP Royal Oak Miyota 9015 Waterproofing

snorth89

I have just purchased a Royal Oak 37mm with the Miyota 9015 movement and am looking for someone/somewhere preferably uk based, that I can send it to and test/improve its waterproofing. Apologies if this info is already elsewhere and please point me in that direction, but I have spent a good hour searching and any half relevant threads seem to be a few years old.

Many thanks

Sam

TRANSPORTER

Sam, you could take it to Timpsons, they will test it for you, or try and find a rep friendly watchsmith who will test it for you, the only problem is that if it blows in a wet test ( and they do every now and then ) your watch is toast. Some places have a dry vacuum tester so if it blows it don't get wet, but at the very least you'll need a new crystal when it pops and possibly a dial aswell.

You could always take out the movement etc before giving it to them to test. Or you can just grease up all the seals etc yourself and that will be better than nothing.

I made a tester myself, can't find the link at the moment but it used a "Nalgene" drinks bottle, it worked great, happily up 3 ATM and tops 5 ATM ( bit dodgy at 5 though ). I then bought a proper tester and now use that.

snorth

Thank you. It is this watch here that I have purchased... http://www.tswatchshop.com/18394-ap18394-royal-oak-37mm-15450-black-jf-v2-1-1-full-rg-a3120_5547cda9faa884c1eed171c5c5f95833.html It does say on another dealers site for the same watch that it is tested to 3ATM which I know is only 30M and doesn't take things such as slapping onto water into account, but didn't know if this could be strengthened anyhow? I have read on some boards of people dismantling them and improving them but it's probably just best to avoid water as much as possible? Thanks again Transporter