Sign in to follow this  
carter23

The Perfect AP 15400 for noobs and tight budgets.

carter23

Hello all and welcome to my first attempt at a review.

About a week ago my new AP15400 arrived from aootime.

I purchased it because I noticed i didn't have a gold watch, and this was always a watch ive had my eye on but just never wanted for fork out money for the best version one.

I ended up opting for a rose gold one on a black dial, with leather as sometimes the bracelets can be very jittery on lower end reps.

This piece only cost $168USD, and from that I think it is perfect for people (like me) who have only recently entered the rep game and want to grab a nice piece that looks flashy for a 100th of the real version.

Ill start with a few specs from the site:

Name: Royal Oak 41mm 15400 RG Black Dial A2813 on Black Leather strap

Size: 41mmx10mm

Function: Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Date.

Movement: Asian 2813 21J 21600bph Automatic movement.

Case: Rose Gold Plated on 316L Stainless Steel watchcase with clear case back.

Bezel: Rose Gold plated Brushed Stainless Steel Bezel with Polished SS Screws.

Crystal: Sapphire crystal with AR coated.

Dial: Black Dial .

Strap: Black leather strap.

Clasp: Deployant clasp.

Water Resistant: Yes.

And now for the pics which I will make a comment about it under each one.

13187676_985211888214353_280846792_n_zpsgqgtu2qt.jpg

movement has been hacked for these photos.

From first glance it looks great, the rose gold plating is solid and the brushed metal doesn't look cheap. The screw size is a big debate about these watches, and for perfectionists its probably something that matters, but to the average eye it isnt a huge tell.

13219881_985211898214352_1837331167_n_zpsbiuicrl6.jpg

A closer shot of the face. The date wheel is the correct color (not white like most other cheaper reps) and is centered well enough for my liking. The AP logo is slighlty crocked, but in light the dial shines and overpowers the ability to see it very well.

13231023_985211908214351_1069620566_n_zpsfww8pakz.jpg

Another photo of the datewheel, apart from 2, most numbers are well printed and centered well.

13219680_985211921547683_1677573426_n_zpsdw5duiic.jpg

A side view showing crown, Screws in well so that AP is always fairly straight and it does sit flushy with the watch when screwed in.

And although the site says it measures in at 10mm, it is actually 12mm. In my opinion this is thin enough for a watch and it sits very well on the wrist.

13219670_985211911547684_449830294_n_zpsyduyzz8q.jpg13233382_985211941547681_1439546821_n_zps9tezkojz.jpg

the clasp is comfy despite the folding mechanism being annoying after a while according to wearers. "Audemars Piguet" is engraved well enough, but it wouldnt hurt to be a bit deepers just to highlight it a bit better.

13236174_985211954881013_590182330_n_zpsrwhmniyr.jpg

The leather will be one of the first things I replace. the standard rep strap is PU leather and as you can see by the holes, spreads very easily. (This was after putting the clasp on it once and taking it out.

13187650_985211958214346_267247836_n_zps4qvqqal1.jpg

The movement: it keeps time very well from what I have seen over the past week. The only problem was the unbelievably loud rotor. When I say loud, I mean being able to hear it while putting my hand in my back pocket at a bar...

So I simply just took it off and am now just going to use the hand wind function for whenever I use it.

Other than that i cant complain about the monument, its kept time well and has a decent power reserve of about a day and a half.

13235946_985212568214285_1755834204_n_zpsnqyhs6ti.jpg

Apart from being loud, the rotor looks nice and has a decent engraving. good enough to fool your mates who know very little as I found out this week.

13233410_985211944881014_2065025463_n_zps7xnmmhxd.jpg

Overall: I am very happy with this watch and for the price I really cant complain about it. It is much better than your average $150 job from the flea market. This is perfect for someone who wants a cheaper watch or for the newbies to the game who want good quality for their starter watch and have a budget.

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think.

onionbag

Nice review. :clap:

carter23

Nice review. :clap:

Thanks matey, I tried I think :lol:

Nugget001

Nice review mate & the watch holds up well for the price

As a fellow noob I've stayed away from the gold plated watches as have read the gold starts to flake fairly quickly???

Not sure if this is the case with this AP but if you get a good 6 + months of wear before that happens or even if it happens at all then it's still good value

Thanks for sharing

carter23

Nice review mate & the watch holds up well for the price

As a fellow noob I've stayed away from the gold plated watches as have read the gold starts to flake fairly quickly???

Not sure if this is the case with this AP but if you get a good 6 + months of wear before that happens or even if it happens at all then it's still good value

Thanks for sharing

Thanks mate, my first rep was a cheap hublot that was rose gold. I wore that day in day out for months and months and it was fine.

Im not too concerned about it with this piece because it'll only be worn every so often. Ill come back to this by the end of the year if i still have it and report on the wear of the gold

thepianoplaya

I am not sure if you mentioned it, but what TD or website did you get this piece from?

twinturbo
I am not sure if you mentioned it, but what TD or website did you get this piece from?

He mentioned it was from TD Aootime.

julipi

Nice watch, nice review. Thks

carter23

He mentioned it was from TD Aootime.

Yup! from aootime found under the "mens watches" section

WatchaholicMallorca

I am not the most experienced collector here but so far my gold watches have held up great. I have a cheap nasty Fublot I bought before I got in to reps and the platting on that is even fine.

twinturbo

"The leather will be one of the first things I replace. the standard rep strap is PU leather and as you can see by the holes, spreads very easily. (This was after putting the clasp on it once and taking it out."

Hi, may I know where do you replace the leather strap? If I buy from a TD, can I ask the TD to replace to a gen leather before courier over to me?

Any idea?

carter23
"The leather will be one of the first things I replace. the standard rep strap is PU leather and as you can see by the holes, spreads very easily. (This was after putting the clasp on it once and taking it out."

Hi, may I know where do you replace the leather strap? If I buy from a TD, can I ask the TD to replace to a gen leather before courier over to me?

Any idea?

You will have to buy the genuine leather strap after your purchase. You sure can ask the TD to out a different colour strap on, but it will still most likely be on the same quality.

carter23

Any idea?

You will have to buy the genuine leather strap after your purchase. You sure can ask the TD to out a different colour strap on, but it will still most likely be on the same quality.

how´s the lume on the watch?

Nothing spectacular. Charged for 10 seconds with a flashlight and can't see it on camera.

EDIT: Have just spent a little more time charging it and it's glowing heaps now and capturable on camera now. Will post a photo soon

Edited by carter23

Mikeg914

I'm still fairly new at this, I'm having trouble finding that website. Any ideas on what i can do?

carter23
I'm still fairly new at this, I'm having trouble finding that website. Any ideas on what i can do?

Hey mate, I am selling this on M2M at the moment, if you have more than 5 posts you'll be able to see it.

Otherwise check aootime in the trusted dealers section.

tjayy

just me or the pictures are gone?