Sign in to follow this  
Pentax

Gold watches

Pentax

Here are some answers to the different procedures of gold plating available

Gold shell/gold cap is a solid layer of gold welded over a solid base metal watch case, and is very thick. Gold fill is two solid gold bars welded to base metal and rolled. Gold plate is base metal electroplated with gold. Gold plate, while it can be made very thick, lends itself to very thin layers of gold.

I will always lament the demise of gold shell and gold fill watches. They are both very good methods for creating watches with a gold appearance, that almost every working man can afford.

gold cap = 14K goldcap, having mostly between 100 and 300 microns in thickness , soldered by special process on top of a stainless steel case 

gold-filled = ( or Rolled gold plating ) mechanical fitted of a gold layer over metallic support gold-plated 

gold plate = ( or electroplate ) more or less thick layer of gold electrodeposited on the basic metal forming the watch-case

prestigewatchco

The very best gold finish ever is a system called Pinchbeck

During the Gold rise in the 80's when people were scrapping anything in gold they owned including Rolex 1000's of vintage pocket watches were sold a very large amount that had for 100 years been thought to be gold were rejected for being Pinchbeck

Pentax
The very best gold finish ever is a system called Pinchbeck

During the Gold rise in the 80's when people were scrapping anything in gold they owned including Rolex 1000's of vintage pocket watches were sold a very large amount that had for 100 years been thought to be gold were rejected for being Pinchbeck

Wow Robert thanks didn't know this procedure

Pentax

Robert pinchbeck is no gold at all and can oxidate! Pls give me more insight

Thanks

greg_r

As I recall, pinchbeck is actually a mixture of brass and zinc, so it's not a plated finish, it's actually a solid case material - which can make it very convincing if the colour is correct. I seem to recall that my grandfather had a pinchbeck pocketwatch - looked like gold, but wasn't...

(Robert, please correct me if I'm wrong - going from memory here and it was a looooong time ago...)

Pentax

If not worn Greg it should gain a greenish color from oxidation and should dent more easy than gold.

Have you ever seen any gold filled rep?

prestigewatchco

yes pinchbeck is a metal alloy Brass/zinc Copper I think and it's made to look like 18 k gold in colour impossible to detect without acid testing and lasts forever. Why the Chinese don't use it is a mystery

yes G thats about right mate in fact 90% of the old Gold pocket watches were Pinchbeck

Any metal will oxidize if left even gold the copper will always come to the surface particularly 9ct UK gold

Pinchbeck fooled experts for 200 years so hardly a tell I would think.

It would be harder than 18K gold and a lot harder than 950 gold

greg_r
If not worn Greg it should gain a greenish color from oxidation and should dent more easy than gold.

Have you ever seen any gold filled rep?

Not hard to stop oxidisation, just a thin lacquer coat would do it. The finish on my grandfather's pocketwatch was VERY convincing (I only really remember it because I thought it was gold and he told me it wasn't) - it looked like gold and, of course, the finish didn't wear off. His watch was at least 40 years old and looked perfect. Actually, that watch was probably the source of my own interest in watches...

Not seen 'gold filled' reps, although I've owned a couple of vintage gold filled gens in the past... (pocketwatches again).

Pentax
yes pinchbeck is a metal alloy Brass/zinc Copper I think and it's made to look like 18 k gold in colour impossible to detect without acid testing and lasts forever. Why the Chinese don't use it is a mystery

Robert can you get hold of a gold filled watch case rep? Preferably a sub

Pentax

Apparently pinchbeck took the secret formula with him accruing to what I have read that is why the Chinese don't make pinchbeck ;-)

prestigewatchco

No such thing Pentax I don't think

prestigewatchco

I haven't seen pinchbeck in 25-30 years in use for some reason. There are 100 of people with gold chains that are pinchbeck and they think their gold

Biggest part of "Gold" pocket watch keepers are pinchbeck

prestigewatchco

hardly a well kept secret Pentax

Pinchbeck typically comprises copper and zinc in ratios between 89% Cu, 11% Zn; and 93% Cu, 7% Zn

Pentax

Thanks for the in site Robert :-)