Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

GEN Cit E-D story: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????

MikeMcNair

so while in a jewelery store yesterday, i say what appeared to be a mini scuba tank in the display for the Cit E-D watches. i though it was cool, so i asked the store clerk if i could buy it. she checked with her manager and said "today in your lucky day, i was just told you can hae the box under the counter which has one of those mini scuba tanks in it. it will be 5 dollars please"

as soon as she grabbed the box, she opened it, and confirmed that the mini scuba tank was in it, and notices some paperwork and a few little booklets, and closed it all back up and handed it over.

i rejoiced, as i knew it would be a cool piece to have.

SOOO, i paid 5 dollars cash, no receipt, and went on my merry way. i told my GF that i could likely sell it for 50 bucks to an E-D fan. we giggled and continued to drive.

while driving we opened the box to see if it was plastic or aluminum, because it almost looked like it was REAL, but we found it to be plastic. no worries, it was 5 bucks.

then we noticed the weight of the mini scuba tank, and i mentioned that there were likely weights in it to keep it upright during display, and that unscrewing the bottom would likely show this.

THEN, THIS HAPPENED....................

b067ddaf.jpg

dd16b25c.jpg

b092513e.jpg

324d2726.jpg

cf40d1e0.jpg

4101b5c9.jpg

ddca092c.jpg

ee760f2b.jpg

4f52406e.jpg

a4cc4e62.jpg

5928da16.jpg

626a0251.jpg

UUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM< WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!. there is a 695 dollar E-D in the mini scuba tank. i paid 5 dollars for said box, and there is a KILLER GENUINE Cit E-D in it!!!!!!!!!

it has a sensor that detects when you go in water and automatically records your depth, it is 100% sollar with an over charge protection, it is big and heavy, and it is most certainly real because i was at the authorized dealer and have all paperwork and box with it.

SO, what the hell should i do?

i am jobless, and need the cash from selling it, and i rightfully bought the box and its contents, but i am sure they didnt intend to have the watch in it.

the lady did say 4 (yes FOUR) time "today is your lucky day sir". i have a witness that was there, and they have no record of me anyway (aside from a probable video camera in the store, i am assuming)

so, shoudl i sell it for like 500 (200 off sticker price, and its BRAND NEW) or shoudl i call the store, or should i keep it in a drawer for 6 months and see if it comes back to bite me in the ass?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

coolroy

Take it back,

& see what the store manager has to say!

KeNnY

hm hm hm... big decision ! But TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY !! :) I bet they KNOW that there is an watch !

gB.

Well, like you stated they sold it to you free and clear on the agreed to price. Even if they can't find you because no receipt, etc, karma is a bitch and will always find you.

Sticky situation it is... :)

KeNnY

ahhh keep it, you deserve it ! :)

DarkGlass

Mike, I keep it, they've gotta be working on a 100 % margin. The clerk checked with the Manager she's covered.

The Managers the Manager he'll survive. Keep it,sell it and pay some bills. We all get some good luck every now and then mate.

MikeMcNair

yeah, and being jobless and all, i saw it as a gift from god to help me in my time of trouble. i don't know!!!! this is a terrible feeling because i DON'T feel bad for NOT FEELING BAD, does that make sense?

it is a KILLER setup that i am sure someone would snag up pretty quick, especially being BRAND SPANKIN NEW, and worth more than what i would sell it for.

Karma is indeed a bitch, but i have had something like this happen before where i got 2 of an item that i ordered 1 of (and it was a 3000 dollar box of goods).... i left the box in my basement for 6 months, and eventually sold it for my benefit. karma never got me back for it because i didnt make the mistake, the shipper did.

in this case, i didnt make the mistake, the store clerk did. she even opened up the box and showed me all of the contents before handing it over. she was like "and here are some booklets that are directions for a watch and here is your "scuba tank"".

and agian, i have a witness that was with me that heard her say "today is your lucky day" FOUR TIMES, almost as if she knew she was doing something fishy.

narikaa

No dilemma at all

take it back

(+ In most country's the salespersons mistake comes straight out of their earnings)

KeNnY

yes Mike, they know it, if they said THis is your lucky day 4 times ! :) damn I must try also in some shop to buy a scuba tank :DDD

prestigewatchco

I would sell it if you can get $500 for it

Even if they went to court about it which is highly unlikely you could get away with paying only what they could prove as a quantifiable loss this was a simple error not fraud or theft involved.

You could hardly be expected to pay for their fuck up

Alternatively you could give it back and make a friend for life of the manager which long term could be of more benefit to you

MikeMcNair

also, all stores have cameras in them, which would show the clerk opening the box, taking out it's contents, showing them to me, and closing the box and handing it to me as i handed them the money.

gB.
and agian, i have a witness that was with me that heard her say "today is your lucky day" FOUR TIMES, almost as if she knew she was doing something fishy.

:huh: Well in that case, it looks like this may be a case of a disgruntled employee trying to stick it to the man.... :facepalm:

If you take it back you will probably get her fired, so an added pickle to the jar. :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

MikeMcNair

i had no intention of malace, and i paid for the box and its contents. and again, she opened the box and took everything out.

AAAAAHHH, tough call.

barkingtoad

No-one can prove the watch was in the tank

No-one knew it was in the tank

Stop worrying keep it sell it either way the watch is yours

MikeMcNair
No-one can prove the watch was in the tank

No-one knew it was in the tank

that is truth right there. but still, tough call. plus, i wouldnt even know where to sell it. i mean, its NOT STOLEN, its gen with all papers and box etc. but if i list it on ebay or something, i could easily be found.

i would need to sell it to someone who would understand the story.

i need money sooo bad! being out of work is killing me, and i just ordered a SLEW (10 total) of watches in the last month. now, some were for my friends, but if they back out i gotta eat that money, and try to sell them too. (they are PAMs, so i am sure they will sell fast) but still.

SteveA

If you keep it thats theft no doubt about it.Because you feel that it is a dilemma shows that you are an honest person so take it back.

Fiddo

Do the right thing...take it back. Karma!

Luthier

Take it back, buy for $300, if they'd agree, then sell for $550.

You'll feel bad to the rest of your life, if you'll keep it.

MikeMcNair

yeah, i think i am gonna go to the store today and talk to them.

but dammit, i would love to capitalize on this and i was not the one that made the mistake, but i do think karma is a bitch, and will somehow bite me in the ass.

i mean, i have a son and try to be a good father, and i try to set a good example. while he has no idea this occurred, i still want to practice what i preach.

AAAAHHHHH this is such a tough decision. i tried calling them today but they are closed i think cause no answer.

stiltzkin

Legally, certainly in the UK, you've done nothing wrong. You agreed on a price and you paid the price - there was no discussion as to the contents of the tank? You bought it, as seen, with no come back either direction...

Now morally, there is a different story... Was it a chain store or an independent?

Personally now, I'd take it back... Get cheeky with the manager and see if he can cut you a 'at cost' deal on something else? Then get something more expensive with a good resell value... It could work out even better for you and no one loses anything...

Cynikal.Mindset

I'm an asshole so I would keep it...as a good person you should bring it back without trying to extort anything from the shop. I think I should make a trip to my local shop and see if I can buy a tank though...maybe it would be my lucky day too! hahaha

Mazz

I agree keep the watch I'm sure the store has insurance to cover such losses.

MikeMcNair
Legally, certainly in the UK, you've done nothing wrong. You agreed on a price and you paid the price - there was no discussion as to the contents of the tank? You bought it, as seen, with no come back either direction...

Now morally, there is a different story... Was it a chain store or an independent?

Personally now, I'd take it back... Get cheeky with the manager and see if he can cut you a 'at cost' deal on something else? Then get something more expensive with a good resell value... It could work out even better for you and no one loses anything...

it is not a chain, but its a big independent store.

legally, in the US, i bought a box that's contents were inspected BEFORE handing it to me, so on camera, you can see this all happen. i paid, i took the box, and i left. i paid cash, no receipt was written, and SHE TOOK EVERYTHING OUT OF THE BOX TO SHOW ME WHAT WAS IN IT.

THAT is why i feel ok keeping it.

i feel that their mistake is now my problem though. this is really a tough moral thing.

Cynikal.Mindset

morally it will eat you up inside cuz if the same thing happened to you...like your son sold something and you had put something of value inside it and he didn't know and sold it for cheap and the new owner found this valuable inside you would hope they would return it but knowing they probably wouldn't.

MikeMcNair
morally it will eat you up inside cuz if the same thing happened to you...like your son sold something and you had put something of value inside it and he didn't know and sold it for cheap and the new owner found this valuable inside you would hope they would return it but knowing they probably wouldn't.

given that scenario, i would take it as my loss, and chalk it up as a stupid move on my part.