Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

GEN Cit E-D story: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????

d1isthe1

It's yours u paid for it.. Nothing wrong in keeping it... U did not pull a fraud or fool anyone to acquire it.. It was sold to u.... Now it's ur luck that this thing had more to offer, think of it as a bumper or a lottery... Ur concious is clear..

Now if I was u this is how wud I look at it... I will certainly go and return the watch coz God is watching... He puts people in situations where he tests u and how wud u do,,,

Cynikal.Mindset

WWJD?

MikeMcNair
WWJD?

Jesus would say "fuck it, I paid for it, it's mine".... I think

gB.
WWJD?

What Would Jerry Do...? :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

d1isthe1

I can see u got moral issues.. Return it, will make u feel better

SteveA

Legally in the UK this is Theft if he keeps it,take my word for it!

Fiddo

I think the ssales girl probably messed up. If anyone suffers in the mistake, it will probably be her. I would look it at it this way.......you didn't have the watch before you walked into the store.......you weren't expecting to get a watch for $5. Yeah, you could keep it. However, each time you wear it, you will probably feel guilty. I know I would.

The feel good thing is to give it back

stiltzkin
Legally in the UK this is Theft if he keeps it,take my word for it!

I'm sure it's not... As..

1. He didn't put the watch in the tank or try and use the tank as a reverse Trojan ( i.e. Try to steal)

2. Money change hands for an agreed sum ( again no fraud)

If you buy a 2nd hand car, and find cash in the glove box - is it yours? The answer I believe is yes.

MikeMcNair

yeah, i think i am gonna go to the store tomorrow. BUT, i had to look these up....

thief

   /θif/ Show Spelled[theef] Show IPA

–noun, plural thieves.

a person who steals, especially secretly or without open force; one guilty of theft or larceny.

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: theft

Function: noun

Etymology: Old English thiefth

: LARCENY; broadly : a criminal taking of the property or services of another without consent

NOTE: Theft commonly encompasses by statute a variety of forms of stealing formerly treated as distinct crimes.

— n

1. criminal law the dishonest taking of property belonging to another person with the intention of depriving the owner permanently of its possession

* guffaw

* cotillion

* flabbergast

* aplomb

steal·ing

   /ˈstilɪŋ/ Show Spelled[stee-ling] Show IPA

–noun

the act of a person who steals.

Usually, stealings. something that is stolen.

–adjective

given to or characterized by theft.

Use stealing in a Sentence

See images of stealing

Search stealing on the Web

Origin:

1300–50; Middle English steling (gerund). See steal, -ing1 , -ing2

steal

   /stil/ Show Spelled [steel] Show IPA ,verb, stole, sto·len, steal·ing, noun

–verb (used with object)

to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, especially secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

to take, get, or win insidiously, surreptitiously, subtly, or by chance: He stole my girlfriend.

to commit or practice theft.

Informal . something acquired at a cost far below its real value; bargain: This dress is a steal at $40.

roberto
Take it back, buy for $300, if they'd agree, then sell for $550.

You'll feel bad to the rest of your life, if you'll keep it.

I think this is great advice, Mike. Although they'll probably think you're a fruit cake.

At the airport a while back I took some money back to the cashier at a Bureau de Change who had given me too much money in error. It took her a while to work out what I was trying to do- she was really appreciative but I could tell she thought I was a nut for doing it. It was the right thing to do, I guess the money would have to be made up from her pocket if they were short.

Good for you for at least considering what is right to do.

MikeMcNair
If you buy a 2nd hand car, and find cash in the glove box - is it yours? The answer I believe is yes.

excellent analogy!!!

also, i had no intentions of getting or finding a watch, i did not ask to see any watches, i just wanted the scuba tank and there happened to be something in it. i didnt know it was there, i didnt "pull a fast one" in anyone, i bought my box of items for $5.35 (5 bucks plus 6% tax) and went on my way.

theft or stealing needs intent, and now exchange of money/property. i paid, and had no intention of getting anything other than my scuba tank and whatever else that was in the box that the clerk showed me (which i thought were advertisement brochures, and they actually turned out to be instructions for the watch as seen in the pix in first post.

MikeMcNair

just got a PM asking if they had my name and number, and i wanted to post my reply in here cause i want to see what you guys think...

Him: "do they have your name and or phone number?"

ME: they know nothing of me, no name, no number, and there is no receipt as it was a cash transaction, although they DID charge me tax on the 5 dollars (state tax here is 6%).

the only thing they will have on me is a video from the stores cameras (assuming they have them) and in said vid it will show the clerk opening the box, displaying the items in the box to me before i purchased, then putting them back in the box, me handing over money, and her handing over the box.

NOW, i do know someone who worked there at one point (like 10 yrs ago) that could identify me if they saw the tape, but i dont think that person is there anymore, i don't think she even works at all right now to be honest, cause i heard she just had a baby.

and, even if i were identified, it would be clear in the vid that I PAID FOR THE GOODS I RECEIVED.

greg_r

Mike: legally I don't think you have a problem. You entered into a transaction in good faith and that should be the end of it.

Morally it's less clear. I wouldn't think any the less of you if you kept it, but I personally would take it back (as I said to you earlier). My reasoning is simply that in retail many companies hold their staff responsible for these kind of losses and I don't think that's fair on the sales assistant - she could be required to make good on the loss, or worse - lose her job. I'd feel bad if that happened, which is why I'd go back (I worked retail management for many years and have seen these situations get pretty ugly for the staff member involved).

Ultimately, however, it's your call. The mistake and the responsibility lie entirely with the other party.

MikeMcNair
Mike: legally I don't think you have a problem. You entered into a transaction in good faith and that should be the end of it.

and that's whats KILLING ME!!!!!!

i am heading to the range to plink a few rounds off, i'll get some thinking time in there and be back in an hr or so.....

Dr Yan

Oh man dats a dilemma if i ever hurd a 1.

i would give it back though.

karma is a bastard!

Cynikal.Mindset

if ya didn't feel guilty about the whole thing you wouldn't have posted here asking...I think you should take it back and make peace with your inner self and be gone with it. It may benefit you in the long run and your honesty may be rewarded in some form or another

MikeMcNair

A) my good deeds and honesty are NEVER rewarded, in fact, the way things go in my life, i am typically punished for doing the right thing.

:thumbsup2: i am going to go to the store tomorrow and speak with the manager.

you are right, i feel guilty, but it wasn't MY MISTAKE. which is fucked up. regardless, it's a nice piece, and perhaps it will go to a good home.

i could really use the money though, having lost my job a week ago, but perhaps the "right thing" will lead to something good happening.

i am NOT giving back the SCUBA TANK though, cause that's what i bought in the first place and thats fucking MINE!

Cynikal.Mindset

Good on ya mate!

SteveA

Just to clear up a point of law in the UK it is Theft.ie a person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other person of said property.In this case the initial appropriation was not dishonest,however he knows that the watch belongs to someone else as he did not buy this he bought the display item.Therefore when he assumes the rights of ownership by keeping it in full knowledge of the facts this is dishonest,assuming the rights of ownership is an appropriation,the property belongs to someone else and they arent going to get it back =THEFT

As I said earlier "take my word for it "it is Theft.

MikeMcNair

So, if I bought a car, and you left a cd in it and a pair of jumper cables I am a thief?

Hardly my friend. I am likely the most honest person out there thus my feeling bad about purchasing a box of items, only to find an unexpected item of value greater than that of which I paid.

I did not steal, I had no intention of malice, and I had the proprietor confirm the content before purchase.

I DID NOT STEAL this.

Regardless, I am making an appearance said store first thing in the morning to clear this up, bit don't go calling me a thief!

Luthier
I feel guilty...

You shouldn't feel guilty, you didn't do anything bad, it's their mistake.

BUT you DO feel sorry for a girl, who will pay $700 from her small monthly salary to the store.

It's a huge difference, Mike. Again - my advice - get your peace of mind, go back to the store.

And, probably, make a deal.

Mazz

may be the manager will offer you a job...............

MikeMcNair
may be the manager will offer you a job...............

now THAT would be awesome!!!!

turnipz

You said she talked to her manager, technically it would be his mistake wouldnt it? I dont think itd come out of her paycheck.

PatronSaintofChainsaws

I would take it back. Then again, I'm speaking as a personal with integrity and a moral compass.

What's funny is that if you had never opened it and had just assumed that it was a weight to keep the tank from falling over, there would be no issue for you (probably not the same for the salesperson though).