Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

GEN Cit E-D story: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?????

stiltzkin
I might be tempted to keep it if it was a big chain of jeweller's, to be honest. Not sure. But if it's an independent shop I'd definitely take it back.

+1

powderfreak

I think I would bring it back. Moral reasons, basically.

Moreover, I am not sure about the legal question. I attend some law courses at the uni right now, and I believe that you have to bring it back, at least in Germany. Why? Well, buying something means that you need a legal contract, which is made by an offer and accepting that offer. Of course both, the offer and the accepting have to refer to the same object or service. In my opinion, this was clearly not the case. So you only have a valid contract for the scuba tank, not for anything that was included in the tank.

BUT: Maybe the girl wanted to harm her boss, so I would first try to talk to her, then to the manager. And dont forget to mention that you are jobless, if they have a heart, they will reciprocate somehow. At least thats what I would....

Ska

My 2 cents.

Firstly lets cut the Karmic bullshit. From a moral standpoint the idea that the only reason you shouldn't fuck someone over for your own gain is for fear of something bad happening to you in the future really stinks. Its a wonderful way of removing personal responsibility from our choices - especially when they can have an impact on other people.

Secondly its utter crap anyway, the fallacy that our actions or intentions somehow mysteriously affect our future fortunes, or steer our relationship with fate is just a consequence of what we as humans try to do all the time to make sense of the world we perceive. In other words we are always looking to find patterns in the randomness of everyday life. Its as stupid as believing you'll get 7 years bad luck from smashing a mirror, or the world will end if you step on the cracks in the pavement. In reality sometimes we get away with stuff, and sometimes we get caught. Some people win the lottery and others get hit by a train.

The truth is that the only thing you should consider are the actual implications of each course of action open to you, and for you to decide if you are comfortable with the possible consequences (for you and the others involved) of whichever one you choose.

For example, the likelihood IMO from what you've said about the way in which you bought the tank is that it could never be proven that the watch was in the tank when it was sold. (What I mean is that if it ever went to court, even if the shop owner showed the CCTV footage to the jury you'd be fine because if no-one actually saw the watch change hands then the owner could have just pocketed the damn thing himself weeks before and then accused you of having taken it to cover his ass) And if you REALLY need the money then perhaps for you its worth the risk.

Believe me though - this has nothing to do with a gift from God, - remember all the times you were broke and a valuable watch didn't appear for no reason........ Or put another way, if you seriously believe that keeping and selling the watch will achieve the greatest good then do it, and do it with a clear conscience.

However on the other hand, as has been mentioned here before, the owner could blame the shop assistant - or might have done so already, which could jeopardise her job and the implications of that could be far reaching depending on her situation. The question is, can you morally justify risking that for a $600 watch?? Its up to YOU.

Obviously these are just 2 possible consequences out of many but honestly mate, think seriously about what you are doing and rather than worrying that God or the universe is going to judge you for making the wrong choice (or reward you for no reason at all) why not look inward. As a race we would be a lot further forward by now if people were a rather more self-reflective and took responsibility for their own moral compass.

powderfreak
As a race we would be a lot further forward by now if people were a rather more self-reflective and took responsibility for their own moral compass.

+111

That's it!

KeNnY

I told to my 3 colleagues this story and asked them what would they do, here are answers:

1: I would keep it, they told me the price, I paid it, its my.

2: Hard to answer, I would need to think about it. If the watch was nice, and I would need money, who knows. Hard to answer.

3: I would return it, and gain a discount in future from that shop. But the girl could get fired by boss, if he would find it out.

d1isthe1

The fact here is that Mike really wants to keep it... but he is in a moral dilemma that is why he wrote this post... looking forward at us to persuade him to go and do the right thing that is returning the watch... had he still posted this, if he had found somthing more expensive in it like gold or diamonds ?

PatronSaintofChainsaws
The fact here is that Mike really wants to keep it... but he is in a moral dilemma that is why he wrote this post... looking forward at us to persuade him to go and do the right thing that is returning the watch... had he still posted this, if he had found somthing more expensive in it like gold or diamonds ?

While we're on the subject of ifs-and-buts, what if it were filled with cocaine? Or a severed human hand?

:D

MikeMcNair

if it were filed with cocaine i would invite all of you to a hookers and coke party!!! there's nothign like a line of coke off a hookers ass!!!

as for the dilemma:

i called the shop today, spoke with the manager on duty saturday : we'll call him GREG.

greag said "yeah, i remember you, 5 bucks for the scuba tank and box right"

i said "yeah, and i found a watch in it"

Greg said "really? watches dont come in them, we would have never missed it if you didnt tell us"

i said "really?!?!?!?!"

greg said " yeah, but please bring it back and i'll let you keep the tank"

i sadi" i sure as fuck hope so, i paid for it didnt i?"

greg lol'd, and said "oh, yeah, i guess so. man, we would have never know that watch was missing. i cant believe you even called"

i said " well, i'll be by later today"

greg said "ok, thanks, whats your name?"

i said "Michael"

greg: "ok michael, see you soon"

end of convo.

so, the moral of the story: i COULD HAVE NEVER CALLED AND THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE MISSED IT

FUCK ME FOR CALLING, IT WAS MY LUCKY DAY, AND NOW I'M BACK TO SQUARE ONE. and while one would think my conscious would be clear, i think it is muddier water now, knowing i could have kept it fair and square.

as for reaching powr max, i could give two shits about post count, just an FYI.

damn me for calling them.

Akira

Didn't you say you bought 9 reps from Robert?

There is money you could have saved....

Damn you for doing the right thing?

Damn you for not profiting on other people mistakes?

I don't get you man...You didn't own the watch before you bought a $5 tank so WTF?

It's not like you LOST money.

MikeMcNair

i ordered a slew of reps, but they are for others bro. i am hoping to keep 1 or 2 of them, so its not like i just spent a grand on ME.

and your right, the money (watch) wasnt mine in the first place, so i didnt lose per se.

still it COULD have been a profitable thing, but the correct thing to do is take it back, so that's what i'm doing.

d1isthe1
so, the moral of the story: i COULD HAVE NEVER CALLED AND THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE MISSED IT

FUCK ME FOR CALLING, IT WAS MY LUCKY DAY, AND NOW I'M BACK TO SQUARE ONE. and while one would think my conscious would be clear, i think it is muddier water now, knowing i could have kept it fair and square.

as for reaching powr max, i could give two shits about post count, just an FYI.

damn me for calling them.

Aawww man .... Lol.... See when u thru wid dis u gonna feel great...

Ska

No excuse for being pissed off now. You made the decision to call the shop. What did you think the manager was going to say?!! "Oh really... well hey its only $600....keep it"

You KNEW the moment you picked up the phone you were going to have to give the watch back, who cares if the manager says they'd never have missed it. They'd have missed it at the end of the month when they did a stock take and then an employee could have been accused of theft.

You made a choice. Well done. End of.

MikeMcNair

word, i went back, gave him the watch, and he was kinda a dick. it was weird. BUT, he did give me my 5 bucks back and of course i kept the scuba tank, so i have a nifty little item to sell to an ECO-Drive fan somewhere in the world. :)

i guess its a happy ending, sorta.

powderfreak

I take my hat off to you, it was the right thing to call the shop. Personally, I don't believe in karma, god, voodoo or any other mofo, but I am certain you made the right decision, so :)!!!

MikeMcNair

thanks, i guess it was the right thing.

Aren
if it were filed with cocaine i would invite all of you to a hookers and coke party!!! there's nothign like a line of coke off a hookers ass!!!

Would I have been invited to this party? :rofl:

Cocaine and sex aren't a good mix. :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

There is a causal relationship between cocaine use and erectile dysfunction.

Even occasional use of cocaine has been linked to protracted impotence for some men.

Even in a small amount, cocaine can create the desire and take away the ability to perform.

If libido is not impaired and performance is possible, ejaculation frequently cannot be achieved or erection can be painful.

None of this sounds very desirable.

Of course, I have no personal knowledge about these matters. :)

barkingtoad

Well you should of kept your mouth shut & kept your reward

I know i would of done

Baldrick

You didn't lose, you profited by $5 and have a saleable item, you're way ahead in the game :)

gB.

Is this moral delimma drama over now, m-kay...? Can we go back to talking about watches and wimmin', m-kay...? :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

CameronDiaz-1.gif

jess-icecream.gif

:)

MikeMcNair

Yes, it's over Big, but I have another thread I am starting to night that will be lovely!

Cause one of Roberts special packages arrived today!

Luthier
Cocaine and sex aren't a good mix. B)

Oh, dear, you're sooooooo wrong...

:lol:

SirDomino

I would return it and see what the Manager says.

Most likely you will just get a "thanks" and that will be it.

if you don't return it, they will blame the subordinate, as it is the American way and the girl will probably be fired or have to pay for the watch out of her salary. Either that or when the watch comes up missing they will go on a witch hunt and SOMEONE WILL LOSE THEIR JOB or go to jail.

I had this happen to me many years ago where I bought 2 laptops, each around $2,800. They apparently only charged me for 1, and I noticed it a few days later. SO I called the store and spoke to the Manager who was in near tears when I came forward. He said that the missing laptop locked down the store and folks from corporate actually flew in to investigate it, they were on the verge of firing him and several employees over the whole incident. I went ahead and stopped by and he fixed the transaction and everyone was saved, as it was explained away as a credit card processing error. If I had just kept the laptop at least 4 people would have been out of a job.

It truly is a beautiful watch, and you will probably get little thanks for returning it. So if you do it do it for yourself, your conscience, and also the person(s) whose job you will probably save.

Life is short, and it is truly rare to receive such opportunities to do the honest thing..

EDIT: Just saw you called and returned it. Looks like no good deed goes unpunished... As is life... :lol:

Edited by sirdomino

w204

You did the right thing.

Karma is a bitch,hopefully you will find a good job now that you've done a good deed.

turnipz

You will have the same chance of finding a job. At least you got a thanks from someone that will never see the money and will have forgotten 2 minutes after of you returned the watch, hopefully he doesnt keep it himself, not that it would matter to anyone.

Fun story though!

Edited by turnipz

Baldrick
Oh, dear, you're sooooooo wrong...

only in those instances when you can't get it up naturally :)