Sign in to follow this  
dek747

How come Rolex dealers seem to know less about there watches then rep owners

dek747

I was at the mall (yes i know that's the first problem) I tried on a DSSD (not as big as I thought) but I love it.

This lady (the Rolex expert ) had know Idea what movement was in the watch, the size, etc.

I'm still laughing that she wanted me to buy the watch for $9800 and cant even tell me anything about the watch. WHAT A JOKE! I should sell them I've forgot more about Rolex's then she knows.

Is it just me or has this happened to any of you?

l47340

I had the same thing happen at a Breitling AD. I think the reasoning behind this is that most people who can afford a gen can afford to have it professionally serviced and just want something that looks nice. And then you have rep collectors who probably can't afford to have a watch serviced anywhere but their work-bench.

Personally, I enjoy obsessing over the history of a watch or brand; learning everything about how it works, how and why it was developed, what the advancements are, and on and on and on...

speedzmaster

Because any mofo with $ can walk into an AD and buy a watch.

themoo-12

Rep owners go for absolute perfection. So, knowing absolutely everything about a watch comes naturally.

SubFrog

Dek, was she hot?

I went in to a jewelry store that had a sign outside stating: “The Rolex Jewelersâ€. I was wearing a Rollie rep, so I wanted to get a little comparison. The eye candy that helped me was all dressed up, hair done, makeup to perfection, high heals, the works...and she had NO clue what was in that Rolex I wanted to see.

No doubt, She was put there to SELL with sex appeal...not with knowledge. Any question I had, she had to go "find out" and never really came back with a solid answer.

Although she was hot, selling her looks might work for a gold heart pendant at $150, but a 11k Rolex...not me, personally.

Cynikal.Mindset

people go in to ADs etc to buy, not ask questions...the dealer in Cayman that sells every expensive watch on earth had a hard time telling the difference between my $88 DSSD and the real deal. Bottom line is rich ass mofos can be taken very easily cuz they go to a jeweler and pay full retail and know nothing other than they want a *insert gen brand here* and thats that.

dek747
Dek, was she hot?

I went in to a jewelry store that had a sign outside stating: “The Rolex Jewelersâ€. I was wearing a Rollie rep, so I wanted to get a little comparison. The eye candy that helped me was all dressed up, hair done, makeup to perfection, high heals, the works...and she had NO clue what was in that Rolex I wanted to see.

No doubt, She was put there to SELL with sex appeal...not with knowledge. Any question I had, she had to go "find out" and never really came back with a solid answer.

Although she was hot, selling her looks might work for a gold heart pendant at $150, but a 11k Rolex...not me, personally.

No not hot I wish

dek747
Dek, was she hot?

No not hot I wish

I've owned both reps and gen, I guess I just like to know what i'm getting.

I think I should get into sale

AllergyDoc

Most are just clerks holding down a job. Just don't let them take your rep into the back room...

l47340

I walked into a Hyde Park store in my area the other day, wearing a rep Breitling Navitimer Serie Speciale, and nobody could tell the difference. Not even when I took it off to try on a gen Panerai.

stiltzkin
I walked into a Hyde Park store in my area the other day, wearing a rep Breitling Navitimer Serie Speciale, and nobody could tell the difference. Not even when I took it off to try on a gen Panerai.

Perhaps they were just too polite to point it out?

But like someone has pointed out above... It is very unlikely that the person who is stood in the shop can afford what they are selling, or even give a shit about what they are selling. They just have a job.

Buying something from PC World is at times painful... You know you've paid too much for one, but overhearing some of the bull shit that get's spouted from the sales assistants makes me shudder.

Just because they sell it doesn't make them an expert - with the exception of BMW sales people... They apparently know Fucking everything!

l47340

Perhaps they were just too polite to point it out?

That thought had crossed my mind... but then I walked out of the store with a handshake and a Panerai catalog the size of a book.

Either way, it was a memorable experience.

narikaa

Self levelling problem

If they needed experts to put Rolexes on the wrists of wannabees they'd employ them

as clearly they dont need them a 'de-starred' ex Macky D's will suffice

Slim
I was at the mall (yes i know that's the first problem) I tried on a DSSD (not as big as I thought) but I love it.

This lady (the Rolex expert ) had know Idea what movement was in the watch, the size, etc.

I'm still laughing that she wanted me to buy the watch for $9800 and cant even tell me anything about the watch. WHAT A JOKE! I should sell them I've forgot more about Rolex's then she knows.

Is it just me or has this happened to any of you?

Well, in my view: to be fair the particular name of the movement is a bit of a geek detail which you shouldn't really expect an assistant in a jeweller's shop to know, IMO. You don't have to be a watch nerd to sell watches. She should know the basic facts, like whether it's auto / handwound / quartz and what it does (GMT, chrono, whatever). Other than that, if she offered to find out what you wanted to know, that should be enough I would say.

Baldrick
Well, in my view: to be fair the particular name of the movement is a bit of a geek detail which you shouldn't really expect an assistant in a jeweller's shop to know, IMO. You don't have to be a watch nerd to sell watches. She should know the basic facts, like whether it's auto / handwound / quartz and what it does (GMT, chrono, whatever). Other than that, if she offered to find out what you wanted to know, that should be enough I would say.

+1

There's a distinct whiff of superciliousness in this thread,from the OP in particular :D

This lady (the Rolex expert )

Who said she was an EXPERT, did she have a name-tag that said ROLEX EXPERT?

"WHAT A JOKE",

where's the joke, if you went into buy a Marantz amplifier, would you expect the sales assistant to know what capacitors or toroidal transformer were in it, the GM car salesman to know which spark plugs are used or which oil is in the engine, some will know, some won't, in general they know what they NEED to know in order to sell it, a little bit about the brand, a little bit about the watch and a lot about the price, they're not employed to assess people's financial status, social status or general level of geekiness, (i:e YOU) the fact that you can pontificate all day long and that..

"I should sell :thumbsup:, them I've forgotten more about Rolex's then she knows",...

doesn't necessarily elevate you above the salesperson, remember one thing.

She might be on page 5 of the Great Book of Horology, you might be on page 50, but as sure as your your arse points towards the ground, somebody else will be on page 500, let's hope he's not as inaniloquent or self-aggrandising as you are!

Stupid post B)

prestigewatchco

Just a sales girl probably selling Chanel perfume last week

Guarantee if you tried to sell them your Modded rep there would be someone there in the shop that would spot it at 1000 paces as being fake.

I am sure if you had been considered a serious buyer someone senior would have been available to tell you about the watch chapter and verse

stiltzkin
[stupid post :thumbsup:

PMT?

prestigewatchco

As for Gen owners being idiots and without knowledge

They obviously do something right to be able to buy the Gens in the beginning

I think the average person would rather know fuck all and own a gen than know everything and own fuck all

Baldrick
[stupid post :thumbsup:

PMT?

Ditto :D

prestigewatchco

Not only a stupid post but a stupid subject altogether

KeNnY

in our AD shops, there is always a Nice sexy lady, presenting a watch, and next to her is still some man, know the technical stuff. SO it is balanced here :thumbsup: But with their know how, we could question.. I had cheap ugly, canal Breitling on the wrist, and I was asking for dive watches, and I don't know if he know that I have rep on the hand, or don't but he said "..and what is your price range ? Because I need to know what I can show you, when you have a Breitling on the wrist, so that watches I show you would suit your price..." :DD

stiltzkin

There appears to be a few people in this thread openly admitting to breaking the first rule of Rep Club??? Tut tut... :thumbsup:

KeNnY
There appears to be a few people in this thread openly admitting to breaking the first rule of Rep Club??? Tut tut... :thumbsup:

before I got into this AD, I didn't know about any RWG or Replica forum , I had my first replica for a few days, and wanted to know what the real thing looks like. And I didn't know that any Breitling name for watches exist ! Yes I bought it because it looked nice :D then sold it for 50€.

Pentax
Just a sales girl probably selling Chanel perfume last week

Guarantee if you tried to sell them your Modded rep there would be someone there in the shop that would spot it at 1000 paces as being fake.

I am sure if you had been considered a serious buyer someone senior would have been available to tell you about the watch chapter and verse

++1

dek747

+1

There's a distinct whiff of superciliousness in this thread,from the OP in particular B)

This lady (the Rolex expert )

Who said she was an EXPERT, did she have a name-tag that said ROLEX EXPERT?

"WHAT A JOKE",

where's the joke, if you went into buy a Marantz amplifier, would you expect the sales assistant to know what capacitors or toroidal transformer were in it, the GM car salesman to know which spark plugs are used or which oil is in the engine, some will know, some won't, in general they know what they NEED to know in order to sell it, a little bit about the brand, a little bit about the watch and a lot about the price, they're not employed to assess people's financial status, social status or general level of geekiness, (i:e YOU) the fact that you can pontificate all day long and that..

"I should sell :), them I've forgotten more about Rolex's then she knows",...

doesn't necessarily elevate you above the salesperson, remember one thing.

She might be on page 5 of the Great Book of Horology, you might be on page 50, but as sure as your your arse points towards the ground, somebody else will be on page 500, let's hope he's not as inaniloquent or self-aggrandising as you are!

Stupid post B)

I might be a geek; however I would like to know What I'm buying, and yes she was the "EXPERT" so she said.

This post may be stupid, and I'm sure I came off like a bit of an ass, still I expect more from someone pushing a 10,000 dollar watch. JMO