Sign in to follow this  
dek747

How come Rolex dealers seem to know less about there watches then rep owners

dek747
Well, in my view: to be fair the particular name of the movement is a bit of a geek detail which you shouldn't really expect an assistant in a jeweller's shop to know, IMO. You don't have to be a watch nerd to sell watches. She should know the basic facts, like whether it's auto / handwound / quartz and what it does (GMT, chrono, whatever). Other than that, if she offered to find out what you wanted to know, that should be enough I would say.

+1

There's a distinct whiff of superciliousness in this thread,from the OP in particular B)

This lady (the Rolex expert )

Who said she was an EXPERT, did she have a name-tag that said ROLEX EXPERT?

"WHAT A JOKE",

where's the joke, if you went into buy a Marantz amplifier, would you expect the sales assistant to know what capacitors or toroidal transformer were in it, the GM car salesman to know which spark plugs are used or which oil is in the engine, some will know, some won't, in general they know what they NEED to know in order to sell it, a little bit about the brand, a little bit about the watch and a lot about the price, they're not employed to assess people's financial status, social status or general level of geekiness, (i:e YOU) the fact that you can pontificate all day long and that..

"I should sell :), them I've forgotten more about Rolex's then she knows",...

doesn't necessarily elevate you above the salesperson, remember one thing.

She might be on page 5 of the Great Book of Horology, you might be on page 50, but as sure as your your arse points towards the ground, somebody else will be on page 500, let's hope he's not as inaniloquent or self-aggrandising as you are!

Stupid post B)

I might be a geek; however I would like to know What I'm buying, and yes she was the "EXPERT" so she said.

This post may be stupid, and I'm sure I came off like a bit of an ass, still I expect more from someone pushing a 10,000 dollar watch. JMO

I you were looking at a Ferrari I'm sure salesmen wont know what spark plugs are in it, but he or she better know if it's a v 12 thats all i'm saying.

dek747
Well, in my view: to be fair the particular name of the movement is a bit of a geek detail which you shouldn't really expect an assistant in a jeweller's shop to know, IMO. You don't have to be a watch nerd to sell watches. She should know the basic facts, like whether it's auto / handwound / quartz and what it does (GMT, chrono, whatever). Other than that, if she offered to find out what you wanted to know, that should be enough I would say.

+1

There's a distinct whiff of superciliousness in this thread,from the OP in particular B)

This lady (the Rolex expert )

Who said she was an EXPERT, did she have a name-tag that said ROLEX EXPERT?

"WHAT A JOKE",

where's the joke, if you went into buy a Marantz amplifier, would you expect the sales assistant to know what capacitors or toroidal transformer were in it, the GM car salesman to know which spark plugs are used or which oil is in the engine, some will know, some won't, in general they know what they NEED to know in order to sell it, a little bit about the brand, a little bit about the watch and a lot about the price, they're not employed to assess people's financial status, social status or general level of geekiness, (i:e YOU) the fact that you can pontificate all day long and that..

"I should sell :), them I've forgotten more about Rolex's then she knows",...

doesn't necessarily elevate you above the salesperson, remember one thing.

She might be on page 5 of the Great Book of Horology, you might be on page 50, but as sure as your your arse points towards the ground, somebody else will be on page 500, let's hope he's not as inaniloquent or self-aggrandising as you are!

Stupid post B)

I might be a geek; however I would like to know What I'm buying, and yes she was the "EXPERT" so she said.

This post may be stupid, and I'm sure I came off like a bit of an ass, still I expect more from someone pushing a 10,000 dollar watch. JMO

I you were looking at a Ferrari I'm sure salesmen wont know what spark plugs are in it, but he or she better know if it's a v 12 thats all i'm saying.

NFleischer

I would agree that most of us who have been collecting for some time know as much about watches (gens included)

as the AVERAGE AD salesperson. They don't spend all day measuring the cyclops mag, rehaut depth, lume patterns,

etc. Forget about modders like Ziggy or Vac- who can build these things.

Eiderdaus

go visit bucherer in Germany and you will find your rolli experts cause they are not only clerks

chum_2000_uk

So what do you do for a living then Dek747 that you can afford to buy a $10k watch?

It certainly isn't anything where you have to be able to write in the Queens English!

midasmook

Nobody who is a member of this forum should be going into the A.D. wearing a rep or has this rule changed somewhere along the line.

When I go into an A.D. I make sure I'm wearing a gen and if I am wearing a rep it goes into my pocket before I go in the shop.

As Robert said guys who own gens don't need to know anything about them as they have paid the money and expect them to be as good as what they paid for. I have friends who own Panerai, Breitling, Rolex, Cartier etc. and they haven't a clue what the differences are between the gens or reps.

dek747
So what do you do for a living then Dek747 that you can afford to buy a $10k watch?

It certainly isn't anything where you have to be able to write in the Queens English!

Man a lot of people like to hate on this board

Its none of your business what I do, you wouldn't believe me anyway and I could care a less what you think

and it kills me you people want to act like I'm the jerk for pointing out sales people are dumb

yet you can judge me on my post , spelling and grammar

the pot calling the kettle black you heard that one?

and your queen can eat a dick I live in the states where Ebonics has taken over

so fuck off you DAF CUNT!

Wiz

B)

Baldrick

I had one of their LP's once, "The Best of The Ebonics", good group :blink:

greg_r
:D

chum_2000_uk

Its none of your business what I do, you wouldn't believe me anyway and I could care a less what you think

and it kills me you people want to act like I'm the jerk for pointing out sales people are dumb

Maybe the fact that you are calling sales people dumb is part of the reason for the hating. Just because they don't know as much as some people here about the watches that they are trying to sell on behalf of their employer, doesn't make them dumb! Surely that is more a failing of their employer for not training them thoroughly about the products?

"Pot calling the kettle black"? Yeah I have heard that one. I'd like you to explain the relevance of that within your sentence though?

Just because you live in the States, that doesn't give you an excuse to be illiterate - you DAFT CUNT.

narikaa
Just because you live in the States, that doesn't give you an excuse to be illiterate

But it usually gives you a head start

:lol:

Baldrick

Is it just me, or has anybody noticed the forum attracting a much higher standard of idiot nowadays, the quality of idiocy of some these noobs seems to be getting better all the time, first mikemcnaehair now we've got a jumbo sized idiot in dek747 :lol:

dek747

Maybe the fact that you are calling sales people dumb is part of the reason for the hating. Just because they don't know as much as some people here about the watches that they are trying to sell on behalf of their employer, doesn't make them dumb! Surely that is more a failing of their employer for not training them thoroughly about the products?

"Pot calling the kettle black"? Yeah I have heard that one. I'd like you to explain the relevance of that within your sentence though?

Just because you live in the States, that doesn't give you an excuse to be illiterate - you DAFT CUNT.

No excuse just stating the facts, if you read all the posts, I did point out that I was being a dick.

You sir are most definitely a jerk, I did drop out of college so that is my fault for being illiterate.

What's you excuse for being a hypocrite?

Please point out more errors I love my posts being graded, you fucking school teacher

narikaa

I remember someone saying oh so many years ago:

" Fake watches....theyre like fly paper for idiots "

stiltzkin
Just because you live in the States, that doesn't give you an excuse to be illiterate

But it usually gives you a head start

:)

:lol:

chum_2000_uk
No excuse just stating the facts, if you read all the posts, I did point out that I was being a dick.

You sir are most definitely a jerk, I did drop out of college so that is my fault for being illiterate.

What's you excuse for being a hypocrite?

Please point out more errors I love my posts being graded, you fucking school teacher

Dick, jerk, daft cunt.... meh whatever you wish to call myself, yourself and everyone else pal. You carry on. You're not exactly winning any popularity contests with your early ramblings here though. Maybe you should just quit while you're behind.

I'm interested to know how you think I'm a hypocrite though? I find it difficult to make excuses for things I didn't think I'd been, but if you can point me towards my likely glaring error then I will be sure to make up some satisfyingly magniloquent excuse for my actions.

RSVP.

Yours faithfully,

Mr Jerk

JohnG
As for Gen owners being idiots and without knowledge

They obviously do something right to be able to buy the Gens in the beginning

I think the average person would rather know fuck all and own a gen than know everything and own fuck all

There are some gen owners who really know their watches, but most don't. Just like many people who own $80,000 cars don't even know how to program the clock.

Anyway, I would rather know it all and have a rep, and keep my Benjamins in the bank, where they belong.

JohnG
and your queen can eat a dick

classic.

You were made for this place Dek. The great thing is that you can tell these fuckers their queen snowballs with her own son, nothing they can do about it, because this is FREEDOMLAND baby, the only forum with (almost) no moderation.

Those guys are just jealous because they had America and then they lost it, so now the only thing they can do is point out Americans' spelling errors, while the Americans are buying $10,000 watches all day long.

Baldrick
" Fake watches....theyre like fly paper for idiots "

Yep, remember that one well :lol:

Those guys are just jealous because they had America and then they lost it, so now the only thing they can do is point out Americans' spelling errors, while the Americans are buying $10,000 watches all day long.

Good one John, from the guy who can't stand living in the US, not many Americans buying $10k watches nowadays, that's the Chinese, but it's OK being delusional ;)

chum_2000_uk
and your queen can eat a dick

classic.

Yeah, hilarious... if you have the mental capacity of a 12 year old.

Yeah that must be it. You have us Brits all sussed out mate. *Yawn* change the fucking record. Next you'll be going on about how we all have bad teeth blah blah blah. If I had a penny for every time I heard a yank harping on about their history (which to be frank, who gives a fuck about... apart from yourselves, evidently) then I'd have at least a tenner by now I reckon!

Unlike you, I wasn't having a go at your home nation, I was simply pointing out that being American is not an excuse to be illiterate. When some retard (oh sorry yanks get offended by that word don't they?)... Some uneducated self-proclaimed high-school drop-out starts calling all AD sales clerks dumb, yet doesn't himself even know the difference between "then" and "than", I think he kind of left himself open to some constructive criticism.

I would have said the same if he was from anywhere else, particularly a country where the primary language is English.

Baldrick

Feeling a lil' cranky today Chum :D

chum_2000_uk
Feeling a lil' cranky today Chum :P

Nah, just not a huge fan of being called a fucker, jerk, daft cunt etc.

T9000

:P