Sign in to follow this  
othniel888

Trusted Dealers with High Qual Sweeping Quartz Mov?

othniel888

Newbie question...Any reps with high quality (like mary or helena) with high quality japanese quartz movement/sweeping second hand instead of self winding? Rolex/Omega or other styles?

MikeMcNair

um, everyone has them. look for models with Swiss eta 2836-2 (28,800 beets per hr) for the smooth second hand sweep. but yeah, EVERY dealer on here has them.

Cynikal.Mindset

@Mike, he's looking for a super-quartz movement now a mechanical movement

MikeMcNair

oh, what would be the advantage of quartz?

greg_r

Robert (PWC) seems to be one of the very few selling smooth-sweep quartz reps. I know he has some APs, but I'm not sure what else is around - reps using these movements tend not to stay in production for very long.

othniel888
oh, what would be the advantage of quartz?

I'm new to this as a hobby. I've always liked battery watches for a couple of reasons. They are very accurate and are always ready, no winding/setting or putting in a "winder" box. Seems like a convincing replica with a battery quartz movement would be less expensive, but thats a newbie guess.

othniel888
@Mike, he's looking for a super-quartz movement now a mechanical movement

Exactly, thanks for helping clarify my question. I'm still learning some of the watch hobby terms.

KBH

I've heard rumors but have never actually seen one of these super quartz. I also was under the impressions that the chrono hand would sweep but the actual second hand still ticked.

Somebody, please show me where to see one of these.

Ska

Um yeah but where's the soul and the beauty?

Otherwise you're just wearing a casio with a fancy case.

othniel888
um, everyone has them. look for models with Swiss eta 2836-2 (28,800 beets per hr) for the smooth second hand sweep. but yeah, EVERY dealer on here has them.

Is the 2836-2 designation used on both the genuine swiss and the asian replicas of the same movement? Any good primer on the most popular movements on this forum? I realize a few dealers state genuine swiss not replica in their product descriptions.

gB.

This is the only sweeping Chrono seconds hand quartz that I've seen available (still has the ticking smaller running seconds hand). Video is at the bottom of the sales thread.

AP ROO SAFARI (Robert / PWC)

othniel888
Um yeah but where's the soul and the beauty?

Otherwise you're just wearing a casio with a fancy case.

No doubt I understand that side of the coin. This is kinda the other side of that. IE if the outside looks right and the watch is mechanically durable and accurate then.... sort of like asian copy vs genuine swiss.....don't most prefer genuine because of perception of quality and durability? But others maybe say if it works it works. I'm new to this as a hobby so please no one take offensive....none intended.

othniel888
This is the only sweeping Chrono seconds hand quartz that I've seen available (still has the ticking smaller running seconds hand). Video is at the bottom of the sales thread.

Now that's what I'm talking about, nice quality at 2/3 price of mechanical. How bout a sub, dssd. omega style? How would you rate the detail on these compared to mary or helenas?

powderfreak

I m asking myself the same question. I my opinion, sweeping second quartz movements would be the ideal alternative to A7750s. Quartz is cheap and reliable. Disadvantages would of course be: Wrong position of the subdials (if its a chrono), the need to use closed casebacks and of course changing batteries from time to time.

Weighing the pros n cons, I really like to see more of those sweeping quartz reps. Especially for non-chronos they would be quite useful, not to be forced to wind your watches and so on....

If you are interested in reading some more threads about that topic, I've collected some:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...sweeping+second

KBH

Not impressed! All I can see is that second hand going tic tic tic tic.

And, the sweep doesn't look all that smooth either. That's kind of what I was expecting. Definitely not a great new breakthrough in rep technology. I'll pass....

othniel888

Not impressed! All I can see is that second hand going tic tic tic tic.

And, the sweep doesn't look all that smooth either. That's kind of what I was expecting. Definitely not a great new breakthrough in rep technology. I'll pass....

I was just guessin that somebody had a quartz sweeper from a comment in another thread. I've looked at tick-tick-tick my whole life so it probably wouldn't bother me much if at all.

KBH

It's funny but ever since hanging around with all these watch nuts the first thing I look at from a distance is to see if the watch I'm looking at is quartz. Then, my second thought is ti's a cheap-o. I guess I'm ruined for quartz now.

I would still love to have a Rolex Oysterquartz though.

rolex-oysterquartz-17013-image-30230-162303-bg.jpg

nys

Just for fun... quartz or mecanic ?

see litle second at 2 ...... second per second like a quartz

see the chrono second : like a mecanic at 18000 bph !

gB.
I would still love to have a Rolex Oysterquartz though.

rolex-oysterquartz-17013-image-30230-162303-bg.jpg

WTF is that...? Looks like the offspring of an two tone AP ROO and a Titanium DateJust... :)

markturnr

I've given several family members automatic watches as gifts, and virtually all have struggled with the concept. They keep complaining about having to re-set it all the time if they don't wear it, etc... For people with no interest in authenticity or mechanical soul, a quartz movement swap would be something I would gladly pay for.

Luthier

Now that's what I'm talking about, nice quality at 2/3 price of mechanical. How bout a sub, dssd. omega style? How would you rate the detail on these compared to mary or helenas?

Who is helenas???

Helenarou?

othniel888

Who is helenas???

Helenarou?

Yes, of course!

prestigewatchco

Sweep on the latest quartz chrono hand is easily as smooth as most 7750 movements and smoother than the 21600 7750

wat44

I assume the sweep is saved for the chrono and not for running seconds is because of battery life? Am I right?

powderfreak
I assume the sweep is saved for the chrono and not for running seconds is because of battery life? Am I right?

Yes, but it doesn't bother too much, since you can't really tell from a distance (subdials are small enough :thumbsup2: )