Sign in to follow this  
adaptive

PAM 505 DLC - Durability?

adaptive

Hello

I'm contemplating getting a 505 but I'm a bit hesitant.

How durable is the coating?

I owned a Bell & Ross PVD/DLC (not sure which, same shit?) wore it as a daily beater and found the coating to fall off after a while and scratch easily...

Anyone who own a 505 that want to shed some light? :)

GoW13

Bought a used one via m2m, wore it and sold it in the same perfect condition. But maybe I just got lucky or I just take good care of my watches^^

adaptive

I ding mine around, bring em to the gym and such...

How long did you have yours?

greg_r

DLC coatings are fairly tough, but they do get scratched if you're not careful - whether gen or rep (as a lot of gen Panerai owners found when the DLC PAMs first appeared). I've had a few over the years and the beaters often get dinged up.

adaptive

I may default to a 388 instead...

dalboy

PVD & DLC are two process's of plating a metallic surface, the latter being more wear resistant than the former.

Both will show signs of wear , and if used as a daily will . chip, wear and and mark.. unavoidable !!

Dal.

trailboss99

PVD & DLC are two separate process's of plating a metallic surface, the latter being more wear resistant than the former.

No they are not, see below.

. . . PVD/DLC (not sure which, same shit?)

PVD (Physical vapor deposition) is the process by which DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) is applied. DLC is only one of the many coatings applied by this method; its worth spending 15 minutes with Google reading up on the subject.

dalboy

PVD & DLC are two separate process's of plating a metallic surface, the latter being more wear resistant than the former.

No they are not, see below.

. . . PVD/DLC (not sure which, same shit?)

PVD (Physical vapor deposition) is the process by which DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) is applied. DLC is only one of the many coatings applied by this method; its worth spending 15 minutes with Google reading up on the subject.

How da fuck did separate get in there.. :giggle: