Sign in to follow this  
TRANSPORTER

2836-2 balance cock advice please

TRANSPORTER

Guys, was adjusting my timing after a service and whilst doing a positional change to find a happy medium I turned the adjuster screw and the little fork thingy (completly forgotten it's name) pinged off, before I start searching the net how would I re attach this to the balance cock? Is it just pressed on?

Cheers for any advice

GenTLe

You mean the stud where the hair spring ends?

This:

ofrei.com-721-6497-1a.jpg

To put it back you need first to open the angle between stud and regulator arms as possible. Like, in this pic, moving the stud arm all to the right and the regulator arm all to the left:

27141061560_102be54382_c.jpg

Then the stud is a press fit. The dangerous part is when you press it back: it requires a good push and you may twist the stud while pushing and damage the hairspring...

I have found that is important to have the movement well kept in place (as wrote the push is a bit strong and it may fly away...). I normally use the end part of the tweezers to push: not the pointy parts, but the opposite where the 2 arms of the tweezers are connected.

This part:

a695d00649152a8f61777ad31f1094e0.jpg

And keep the tweezer horizontally, so that I push with the edge section of it.

Once the stud is back in, you need to check if the hair spring is inside the regulator, and also you will need to start to regulate and gradually turn the stud so that the hairspring is both centered respect to the balance staff (all coils have the same distance from the next ones) and that the hairspring is centered inside the regulator.

So NOT like this (this is extreme, but you get the concept):

Hairspring-NOTCtr.jpg

And the hairspring centered in the regulator on a resting movement (mainspring fully unloaded):

f6b3438f8bfa9d70dcd57383634fcac7.jpg

Ah and be careful to avoid this too:

RegulatorBlockWrongDir.jpg

Finally check, looking from the side of the movement, that the hairspring is working flat, parallel to the balance wheel.

More info here: http://www.awci.com/watchmaking-excellence/

TRANSPORTER

Great tutorial mate, but I'm fine wit doing that, it's the adjuster that regulates the timing, on your picture you have the adjustment screw that goes to + and - it's the bit that has the two horns either side of the screw and continues around the diashock Jewel that bit if you see what I mean, hold on light bulb moment coming up

5B62AA44-B60F-406B-8C92-5066C7E9F601_zpsbnvtb0y7.jpg

Picture says a thousand words, this is the bit mate

GenTLe

Oh... Ok then it is just press on but you need to remove the balance in order to refit not to kill it...

TRANSPORTER

When you say the balance , can I assume you mean the hairspring and balance wheel from the balance cock?, sorry for the late reply been servicing a seiko 4205B movement today, had a bent hairspring (modified ebay special bought by a work mate) straight new the hairspring as best I could but decided to swap it out for a spare balance but still it won't run correctly, back to the bench I go mate!!

GenTLe

Yes, you should have this free:

ETA2824.121.jpg

It is a damn difficult work the hairspring straighten :(

TRANSPORTER

Hairsprings, I have lost count how many I have sent to the bin haha, many thanks for the info, I'll get with it when I've finished that seiko