Sign in to follow this  
TAGster

PAM 288 A7750 just died

TAGster

Hi Mates,

I open this thread to ask for your help and advice/tips. I received yesterday a PAM 288 from Mary Another great deal from Mary: PAM 288k but today the watch just stopped working.

I first noticed it has stopped around 11:50 a.m., so I toke it off shake it a little bit and the seconds hand started, after few seconds it stopped again, so I shake it again while I was wearing it and noticed it made some noise, so I toke it off again grab the clasp because I thought this was making that noise and shake it again, the noise was there but after few shakes it dissapeared and the watch started.

Well, I wore the watch the rest of the day and around 6:45 p.m. I noticed it had stopped again. Then I did the same "procedure" but this time with no success. So, I came to the board and started to read all the information about the infamous A7750, I read the movement guide, the Onze descriptive threads and I even did the "trick" I think Greg described regarding setting the watch at 7,8 or 9 o´clock then pull the crown two clicks, put it back and manually wind the watch, but unfortunately it didn´t work (maybe I am doing something wrong).

Just to mention, regarding the chorno function, I just used twice with testing purposes and following the basic rules of stopping the chrono after 10 and then push the reset button. The first time I started the chrono I stopped it before 1 minute, the second test I did was letting the Chrono runs for about 20 minutes just to check the minute counter to work properly.

So, now I am kind of dissapointed because the watch is not working, so I would like to know if you can give me some input, advice or tip that might help to make the watch to run again. I know the most logical step to take is to return the watch to Mary in order to be serviced, repaired or even replaced, but before putting the watch into a long flight to China I want to explore all the possible turn arounds/solutions/options I might have without sending back the piece.

Do you think this might be solved with a service? Meaning maybe the watch need to be properly oiled/lubricated.

Unfortunately I do not have a case back open tool, so I had not been able to see the movement to check if the rotor/gears/escapement/hairspin looks fine. I will try to open it tomorrow using a ball or some duck tape.

Thanks in advance for your attention and valuable advice/tips/input.

Cheers!!

Del

Hi TAG, sounds like you have the same problem as me - see this thread here.

Mine went away for a wee holiday to China yesterday....:lol:

TAGster

Yeah Del, I think is kind of the same problem. In fact I´ve read your thread yesterday, but the difference with my problem is my watch just suddenly stopped, it was working fine; in fact, it kept power from the time I toke off at thrus night until yesterdad noon, when it stopped.

I could open the watch today and with my short knowledge I think I see some problem: there is a wire that it seems to be resting on one of the gears, and also I am not 100% sure but I think the hairspin of the balance wheel is broken :) I´ll take some photos later and post it here in order you guys to take a look.

Anyways I will have to contact Mary in order to send her the watch back to be replaced. :johng:

Cheers!!

Del
Yeah Del, I think is kind of the same problem. In fact I´ve read your thread yesterday, but the difference with my problem is my watch just suddenly stopped, it was working fine; in fact, it kept power from the time I toke off at thrus night until yesterdad noon, when it stopped.

I could open the watch today and with my short knowledge I think I see some problem: there is a wire that it seems to be resting on one of the gears, and also I am not 100% sure but I think the hairspin of the balance wheel is broken :D I´ll take some photos later and post it here in order you guys to take a look.

Anyways I will have to contact Mary in order to send her the watch back to be replaced. :)

Cheers!!

Oh, that doesn't sound too good. At least Mary will get it fixed or replaced for you.

Would be interesting to see a photo if possible :johng:.

GC

This is the reason I no longer buy watches with 7750 movts... Same damn thing happened to my Breitling (with the normal chrono configuration). Had to have the movt serviced which cost as much as the watch itself. Not to mention my sec@6 movt also died (i knew this risk going into the purchase, and i blame noone except myself), so that's also gonna have to be serviced. Bygones, but i no longer buy 7750 movt watches.

Once bitten, twice shy...

Mary is great, she will take good care of you! Hope all works out in the end!

pollux1

Send it back mate, I'm sure Mary won't mind as it's better to have a happy customer than none at all. Next A7750 I buy will be through Robert as he's offering a verifiable service of the MVT before shipping for a measly $50 or thereabouts.

TAGster
This is the reason I no longer buy watches with 7750 movts... Same damn thing happened to my Breitling (with the normal chrono configuration). Had to have the movt serviced which cost as much as the watch itself. Not to mention my sec@6 movt also died (i knew this risk going into the purchase, and i blame noone except myself), so that's also gonna have to be serviced. Bygones, but i no longer buy 7750 movt watches.

Once bitten, twice shy...

Mary is great, she will take good care of you! Hope all works out in the end!

Yes GC, I know the A7750 is a risky buy, but I think I was very bad luck because the watch just broke down the first day I have it. I also did a lot of reading about A7750s before making my decision, and I was aware about the risks of the movement, but also some people mentioned the recent movements were more reliable... who knows.

I´m also sure Mary will help me with this issue.

Cheers!

Send it back mate, I'm sure Mary won't mind as it's better to have a happy customer than none at all. Next A7750 I buy will be through Robert as he's offering a verifiable service of the MVT before shipping for a measly $50 or thereabouts.

Sure Mate, I´ll do!

Thanks!

TAGster

I could open the watch today and with my short knowledge I think I see some problem: there is a wire that it seems to be resting on one of the gears, and also I am not 100% sure but I think the hairspin of the balance wheel is broken :unsure: I´ll take some photos later and post it here in order you guys to take a look.

Anyways I will have to contact Mary in order to send her the watch back to be replaced. :gagged:

Cheers!!

Oh, that doesn't sound too good. At least Mary will get it fixed or replaced for you.

Would be interesting to see a photo if possible ;).

Yeah Del my friend, my problem doesn´t see good :bollocks:

Here are some photos I toke just a few minutes ago, in the first one I point out the two possible issues I saw, well, with my very limited knowledge about movements or maybe what I saw are not really issues:

5480468278_c86aae812d_z.jpg

Other views:

5479866859_dacecc3050_z.jpg

5479864817_2e21332479_z.jpg

5480464048_446b2818f6_z.jpg

5480461862_36014c631d_z.jpg

Please feel free to give your oppinions.

Thanks Mate!!!

TAGster

Edited: duplicated reply.

themoo-12

I seriously need to learn how to fix one of these. Not a lot of USA guys that have learned. Ive broken one before, I ended up sending it back to be fixed. Been running strong ever since ;)

NFleischer

Sorry to hear about the problems- one of the down sides of this hobby.

The quality of the movemnts does not equal gens. I'm sure Mary will fix or exchange the movement

all the trusted dealers back up their sales.

TAGster

Thanks for your comments mates.

I just googled for pam 288k asian 7750 images and I realized the "issues" I pointed out seems to be no issues at all, I think those wires I saw should be there:

This is the same model as mine:

a7750pam288.jpg

Older model from Mary´s website

695fbb8674faa6365b2506eb46d8eeba.image.640x480.jpg

Anyways, I am writing the email to Mary to let her know the issue and see how we can work it out.