Sign in to follow this  
seclark007

Are we done yet?! Time to grow up, folks

seclark007

I get up on a soapbox from time to time, tis true. I have had one "arguement" with Robert, but that was before I got to know him, and I consider that to be my "noob mistake." I have never run from a fight, and always chose my words for their effect. Throughout that, I am thankfull that nobody has personally attacked me for my views. Today I read what has to be one of the lamest "defences" for being offensive, and it just begs to be asked: ARE WE DONE YET CHILDREN???????? GROW UP AND START ACTING LIKE ADULTS!

I am not telling anyone what to do, but I offer some constructive suggestions:

1. Stop calling people out it public. Settle your differences one on one; and

2. Offer constructive advice. If you don't like the advice you received, suck it up. At least the other guy took the time. (Refer to #1 above);

Those of us who have agreed to meet with one another have only reported positive things back to the forum. I consider them lucky, and I hope to meet many of you in time. For a person to accuse someone else of "hiding behind a keyboard," then go on and call them names that you wouldn't call you mother, shows more about that person's character than you can imagine. Take the time to think about that, then come back and justify your actions to the rest of the resonable adults who frequent this site. There are people in here who like things considered "different" that demonstrate more depth of character than all the passive-agressive snipers combined.

There are places for people to show and talk about things that are not suitable for work. You have been warned, so deal.

There is no forum titled "Act like a 8 year old and talk smack about people you don't know!" Perhaps the mods will create one, and name it after me. I'd be honoured.

PS: I apologise for any spelling mistakes in advance, I only proofed for content..................

Sean

RacingSnake

Nice thread.

I think it's a nice idea, and is the way things should be handled, but the sad reality is that it is like this on all forums, regardless of the special interest group and topic, and whether it be watch forums, game forums, car forums or anything else you can think of. It is the downside of all forums, and the downside of any social networking.

It's also a good idea for individuals to sort it out between themselves, but human nature is both impulsive and defensive, so if 'attacked' openly on a forum, the first reaction is generally to respond defensively, within reason, in the same forum. This does not mean it's the right approach.

There are so many factors which could cause a situation to occur, whether it be member to member or member to dealer, but it should be all our grown up responsibility to not be offensive in the first place which puts the recipient in a defensive mode and hence heighten the issue. We should be big enough to sort it out between ourselves, but also big enough to know when to not get involved if it's nothing to do with us.

It's a great thought to eliminate all these issues, but at the end of the day it's a forum made up of many people, from many cultures, of many ages, with different backgrounds, different levels of maturity, different levels of humour so it's likely to continue. As we're unlikely to get rid of it entirely, we can all help by reducing the negativity, and by not getting involved if it's nothing to do with us.

Any communication via email, web, IM, PM, SN or text is all open to interpretation and is one of the least ideal methods of communication and getting across what the intended message was... so might I suggest that confirmation is sought before any reaction is made.

We're a forum made up of people with a common interest, so it should be easy... right? ;)