Sign in to follow this  
GenTLe

Suggestion on the use of water test machine

GenTLe

Hello,

some time ago I got a machine like this:

6ATM-Watchmakers-Waterproof-font-b-Watch-b-font-Tester-font-b-Watch-b-font-Case-font.jpg

to test if my watches can go into water safely.

I have read about the "slowly release pressure" and the general way to use it, but still I don't feel that confident, especially with watches with rotating bezels like the submariners and such.

The fact is that under the bezel there is some air, which get compressed when the testing chamber is brought to 5 or 6bar. When then you push the watch in the water and slowly release the pressure, bubbles are coming out between the bezel and the crystal or between the bezel and the mid case.

And same happens from the crown area.

So how to distinguish these normal bubbles from bubbles indicating a leakage?

Thanks, GenTLe

Genius

I'm guessing that with it under pressure the air would escape as soon as you lower it into the water as the air under pressure would not want to go under water

tabuktime

As I understand it, if you are wishing to test the watertightness of a case and are concerned that it could be leaky the best thing to do is remove the movement, replace the caseback, screw in the crown and test the case that way.

Once the test is complete dry the case completely and after once again removing the caseback, check the interior for signs of water ingress.

If you are in the position to be using a machine of this kind I'm assuming you'd be happy to take the watches apart to test them in this way (the last risky for the movement I think). It also gives you an opportunity to ensure greasing of o-rings and gaskets!

GenTLe

Uhm no, I think you didn't get the point :)

These machine will not permit the water to enter in the case (unless the pressure is released so quickly that the crystal pops off). The function is well explained here:

The problem is that watches like the Submariner, Seiko 007/009, Omega Seamaster and such have a layer of air between the bezel and the case (it's normal: the bezel isn't water tight, only the crystal against the case is), and this produce bubbles when tested that way

So it's not clear how to distinguish between these normal bubbles, which don't mean the watch leaks, and bubble produced by a leaking case.

Anyway probably this explains how a leaking watch should looks like (min. 2.14):

GenTLe

Or this at 0:35 (note that this is a vacuum tester: the principle is the same: to have a pressure in the watch which is higher than the pressure outside the watch):

Definitively the bubbles formed by the air trapped below the bezel don't behave this way (they are just one or 2, like the one next to "I" of "STAINLESS" in the case back after they replaced the gasket, at 2:10 of the same movie)

JSJ

I've been using this test method for a while.

If there is a leak you will see a small stream of bubbles. The single bubble from under the bezel doesn't continue. A tiny drop of detergent in the water will reduce the surface tension to reduce the single bubbles by wetting the surface. They will release more easily as you drop the watch in the water.

Happy to have a PM or call with you if it helps mate.

JSJ

28acb6fbc120a9cf07de1371857f6012.jpg

ff73f9e8edfa099232d212149ce692bf.jpg

My newly acquired yellow SeaWolf has a tiny leak at the crystal, unlike its grey brother. The crown and caseback are fine.

I'll fix it with some UV adhesive.

I must say I'm well chuffed with the watch, little stream of bubbles or not.

Daywatch

Steady stream of bubbles. You´ll recognize it if it happens. Nice machine You´ve got there now, Gentle:)

TRANSPORTER

Yep steady stream mate, but I remove the movement from all watches that I test just to be on the safe side on the first test, then if passed I re fit the movement and retest, the air trapped between the bezel will just pop up as a single bubble or a few in different places around the bezel and maybe grow in size a little, but if there is a leak in the case then yes you would be seeing a steady stream of Bubbles from the area that leaks mate ok.

GenTLe

Thanks for the tips guys!

Now I know that all my rolex subs are at least 6atm proof. Great to go in Sardinia with a different watch than the Seiko :D

tabuktime

That's what I like about this place, I learn something new every time I come here...

memhet

Great videos, tank you for sharing.