Sign in to follow this  
guami007

DSSD water resistance

guami007

I read in one of the posts that apparently the crystal needs to be pressed in as the factory that these are manufactured in does not do this? Does this mean that taking this watch in the water would not be advised? Can anyone vouce for the WR on these watches? At this price point and quality, I suppose you can send the watch off to have the gaskets beefed up for WR. Has anyone done this and if so, who did you go with?

TIA.

nunu78

I don't know where you from,if you are in UK then the best person on this forum to ask for all this service is Brightlight as he pressure tested my watch and made me Lovely DSSD water resistant.

guami007

I am located in the U.S...in the frozen tundra that is Minnesota.

I don't know where you from,if you are in UK then the best person on this forum to ask for all this service is Brightlight as he pressure tested my watch and made me Lovely DSSD water resistant.

RacingSnake

Hmmm... I have a DSSD on it's way and very keen to make it water proof. How much does he charge and what's the best way to get hold of him? PM or personal email?

Thanks.

KBH

This is strictly my opinion so take it for what it's worth. Probably not much. ;)

I've found that most of the replica Rolex dive watches that we get are water resistant for swimming. Occasionally there are some that the crystal have not been pressed in correctly that may or may not survive any deep water diving. There was also a batch of Sea Dwellers that had the helium valve backwards were the water pressure opened it rather than the pressure keeping it closed. Those were pretty rare though and fixable by epoxying them closed.

I've pressure tested about 6 of mine and only one didn't pass with a slight leak at the crystal at 3 atmospheres. The interesting thing is that was the one that I always wore swimming and skin diving and it never leaked in any moisture.

That being said, it's always safest to have them tested. And it's cheap insurance. You can usually find an independent local watch smith that can do it. Obviously, don't take it to an AD.

gottahaverolex

+1 ^ I take mine to the Dakota watch company at the mall, they sell really bad "homage" watches, a lot of rollie look alikes for dirt cheap. They, at least the one I go to, will test them for free. They have a pressure tester that takes 60 seconds to tell you if its waterproof or not. I have all the tools and silicon sealant necessary to waterproof pretty much any non-chrono watch and have yet to have one fail. Some cases tolerances are not good from the factory, such as a cheap DSSD I bought a year ago. Didn't test it, took it swimming and it leaked right away. It's nice to be able to work on your own stuff instead of paying somebody to do it! Worth learning guys!