Sign in to follow this  
PeterWorcester

How do I swap Bezels ?

PeterWorcester

I have a new DSSD that I completely mangled , while trying to fix the timing on it. (another story for another day, but let's just say I won't be quitting my day job to dabble in watches any time soon, I took a beautiful Robert $249 DSSD and completely trashed it)

What I'd like to know is how do you remove the bezel off a watch without breaking it, I'd like to move the bezel from my newly mangled scrap watch to my older DSSD, but I don't have a clue how to take the bezel off without breaking it. It appears as though brute force and I just don't get along.

Anyone out there able to tell me how, I've searched the forums but can't seem to find that a post on that subject.

TIA,

Peter

GC

If you mean the whole bezel i.e. the bezel ring & ceramic insert, it tends to be a bit difficult. There is always a chance to scratch the case and or bend the whole ring, if you are not using a bezel removal tool.

If you just mean the ceramic insert, that is much easier and can be done by warming/heating the ceramic until the glue that holds it into place becomes pliable. From there it is just a case of moving the insert around till you can lift it up and out of the bezel (with a bit of tape to help you lift it out).

PeterWorcester
If you mean the whole bezel i.e. the bezel ring & ceramic insert, it tends to be a bit difficult. There is always a chance to scratch the case and or bend the whole ring, if you are not using a bezel removal tool.

If you just mean the ceramic insert, that is much easier and can be done by warming/heating the ceramic until the glue that holds it into place becomes pliable. From there it is just a case of moving the insert around till you can lift it up and out of the bezel (with a bit of tape to help you lift it out).

GC,

Thanks, I'm not sure if that would work, I know the bezel on the cheaper DSSD is ceramic but I'm not so sure about the more expensive one. They don't look like they are quite the exact same size. I'd probably be better off swapping the whole bezel out , if possible

It appears the DSSD bezel is not at all very simple to remove without completely trashing the casing or lugs

TIA,

Peter

GC

Peter,

Don't forget, because there are several factories that produce the DSSD, some parts from one watch may not be compatible with other cases (i'm thinking specifically the insert or bezel). Not what you wanted to hear but just a heads up in advance mate.

MikeMcNair

put tape on the case, and pry up with a butter knife in each corner until it "pops" up.

as said tho, they may not be interchangeable.