Sign in to follow this  
MikeMcNair

where to actually go to BUILD YOUR OWN watch

MikeMcNair

ok, so i want to buid my own homage, and i need to find movements and some other shit that's not listed on getats site. i found it on militarytime's sight, but that sight is IMPOSSIBLE to navigate. there is no "click here to put in basket and buy" button.

so where the fuck can i go to make my own parts list for a watch and actually order shit from? i have been googleing and searching on here for HOURS (since almost 3 o clock today, and its 9 now!)

AAAAHHHHH help me build my dream watch outa parts i can find on a site i can actually navigate.

here is an email i wrote, to which he replied "cant build it, dont have a movement that looks like that" i was like, well tell what fucking automatics you have and i'll finda a fucking rotor i like a dremel the bitch to look the way i want dammit!!!

sorry, frustrated....

"HI Tat,

This is what i am looking for.

44mm TITANIUM case and bezel , BLUE sandwich dial with "marina militare" (i think you only have black dial, which is ok too)

quick release lugs (if possible)

titanium crown guard

i would LOVE a leather strap JUST LIKE the one below (same color tan, and same white stitch), but with BRUSHED SS (or titanium if possible) DEPLOYANT clasp.

PAM177-1.jpg

in fact, i am trying to build that watch, with a BLUE DIAL, deployant clasp, SUPERLUME, AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT, double AR, CLEAR CASEBACK so i can see the movement, and a "9" WITH seconds next to it (like pic below) and BLUE hands with SUPERLUME on hands (if available)

this case

http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/model/...59531009493.jpg

these hands (with superlume if possible)

http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/model/...57359018267.jpg

this dial if possible (with superlume if possible)....

http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/model/...34265017927.jpg

OR this dial (if the other one is too big) (with superlume if possible)

http://www.siswatch727.com/showroom/model/...10218001919.jpg

with TAN strap with TITANIUM or BRUSHED DEPLOYANT stitched like the one pictured above.

with an automatic movement that looks like this (silver though)

panerai-luminor-composite-3-days-pam-386-automatic-watch-transparent-case-back-movement-detail.jpg

AM I ASKING TOO MUCH? IS THIS POSSIBLE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE. I AM TRYING TO BUILD MY "DREAM WATCH"

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!"

so, am i fucking retarded or is there a site i can actually get all these parts and put them together and make the watch of my dreams?

HALP!

MikeMcNair

oh, and there are ZERO automatic moements listed on getats site which BLOWS too.

MikeMcNair

i a so annoyed, i am putting this thread back up into the recent thread catagory cause i wanna know.

its like, finally saving up, making a deal with the devil, getting your ducks in a row, deciding what you want, finding it cheap, then BAM, roadblock.

so help please:(

oh, and whatuseeek.com has all these sites listed, yeah, they blow. i like the \"pick yer parts, build yer own\" of getats, but he\'s missing the most important stuff.

someone tell me i am missing it somehow.

here is what i have so far......

b_1242271561703005675.jpg

this strap is on your website, and it is PERFECT for what i want. and here is my order, BUT there is no movement selected as i do not see the option for the seagull 3600 and that is what i want.

Item no. Name Qty Price Amount

mosc Small mounting screws for 6497 6498 Movemen USD 1.50 USD 1.50

mopl Small Mounting Plates for 6497 6498 Movemnt USD 1.50 USD 1.50

h44bk 44mm Black Hands Set with WhiteLuminous area USD 9.00 USD 9.00

h44b 44mm Blue Hands Set with Green Luminous Area USD 9.00 USD 9.00

d44mmwt V Superlume Black Marina Militare Dial USD 17.00 USD 17.00

c44ti 44mm Luminor Style Titanium Case Set

Front glass : Sapphire USD 74.00 USD 74.00

Subtotal Price : USD 112.00 Total Amount : USD 112.00

add to this a titanium deployant clasp (or brushed SS)

AND, if you have a SUPERLUME BLUE Marina Militare DIAL, i would like that instead of black.

and that would be PERFECT.

(i order 2 sets of hands so i can choose which looks best. if you build the watch, please show pics with each so i can decide before ordering)

thanks!!

and here is the color dial i want :gayvikingmusic:

DSC_1973.jpg

Member X

Ok, not to piss on your fire, but... I think you're asking for the impossible :)

- The dials you've chosen are designed for a handwind movement, not an auto movement.

- The dial with a 9 and the seconds subdial is for a 47mm case not a 44mm case.

- Those hands are designed for a handwind movement.

- No automatic movements available will look anything close to the PAM movement, even if you had the skills to change how the rotor looked.

- I don't think an MM dial in that dark blue exists, I've certainly never seen one.

- I don't think I've seem quick release lugs on anything other than PAMs sold by Robert (and they're more difficult to remove than the simple screw-in standard bars, IMO)

.- No dealers sell AR'd crystals, unless you want to try to order from DSN (and the AR would then have a blue tinge to it anyway, if he does sell them). You would have to get a crystal and send it away to be AR'd.

If you could live without the printed MM, you could buy a standard sterile sandwich dial for a 44mm, split it, superlume the backplate and re-spray the front plate the colour you want. Or you could buy an unfinished engraved MM dial from one of the guys on HomageForum, lume it and spray it and wax-fill the engraved MM text.

You need to decide on auto vs handwind movement. If you want an auto, it won't look anything like the movement you like, the hands available for autos may not look anything like the hands you've linked to, and the subdial spacing will mean you can't have a 9 and the seconds hand next to it. It will also be quite a cheap (and possibly unreliable) movement unless you can find an ETA with correct dimensions and correctly located stem height.

If you want a handwind, you still can't have the 9 and the subdial on it in a 44mm case, but the movement can look a lot better than an auto as you can get a decorated or skeleton movement, and it only takes 1 minute to wind every other day.

If you want to order from Jackson, you just email him to ask for a price on the parts you want - e.g. Hi Jackson, please can I have a price on (ref no.) Titanium 44mm Case Set with Sapphire and (ref no.) Blue MM dial. Many thanks, Mike. Don't forget English is not their first language, so don't confuse them with overly long and ranty emails :D just keep it short and sweet and ask direct questions about whether they have what you're looking for.

I think Jackson does sell the auto movements, but you would need to order hands for the auto too.

Everything he sells is listed on his front page - just scroll down until you find what you want, don't start looking round all the links at the top!

I think you will have to compromise, if I'm honest. Anything is possible, but it will likely require more money and effort than just getting a handwind homage and slightly modding it...

Mazz

Wow great post member X Very informative

MikeMcNair

X, that was PRECISELY what i was looking for!!! see, it was unclear to me that i couldnt put this dial with that movement etc. so thank you SOO much for that!

i will contact DSN and Jackson today and ask them (in easy to read english :) ) the questions i have.

thanks for taking the time to write that, it really is a lot of help!!

Member X

No worries :)

Personally I would order a complete watch from Getat or Jackson - in Ti with sapphire (if it's an option) with black MM sandwich dial, handwind movement (skeleton if you want something pretty to look at), blue or black hands, superlume option on dial and hands (you will need to ask this in the box when ordering, I think) and that strap.

Wear it for a bit, and if you still want the blue dial you can take it apart, split the dial and just respray the front plate the blue you want, then put it all back together.

Oh, and one thing for us all to remember (which I'm sure you already know but it's worth repeating, just in case :yoda:) - when paying Jackson (or any of the dealers on here!) DON'T mention any brand names, because that will cause all manner of hassles with Paypal!

MikeMcNair
Oh, and one thing for us all to remember (which I'm sure you already know but it's worth repeating, just in case ;)) - when paying Jackson (or any of the dealers on here!) DON'T mention any brand names, because that will cause all manner of hassles with Paypal!

the first rule of watch club: DONT TALK ABOUT WHAT CLUB ;)

we do indeed all know that i am sure.

and yes, i ordered the watch pretty much that way. but with this strap....

b_1291581029093008891.jpg

is it possible to add a deployant buckle to a standard strap like this? or do the holes in the strap need to be different etc? because if its possible, i'll order the deployant now also :Jumpy:

i have airbrushes and all so i can paint the EXACT color i want, which would be nice. it's THIS blue...

heavy metallic, but dark as hell when not in direct light. i actually have a pint of this EXACT paint.

if i wanted a decal, or lettering on the dial, how would i go about getting that done once i paint the top of the sandwich? you mentioned something about wax? pray tell!!!

IMG_1090-1.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

thanks again for all of your help X, yer the man!!!

scope

The lettering can be filled in with wax or a melted crayon after the dial is painted. It is used sometimes on vintage project. :Jumpy:

Member X

What scope is referring to is this sort of dial:

02_dials_mma.jpg

02_dials_mmb.jpg

where the text is engraved. You spray it, wait for it to dry, then chip crayola or similar over the engraving, warm it gently till it melts, then clear the excess off so just the text is highlighted :)

Re: the deployant, not many are over 20mm so if you can find one at 24mm then get it! You might have to punch one hole in the 'other' side of the strap, though, but I'm not entirely sure...

MikeMcNair

thank you for the tip, we do the same thing on firearms (melting crayons in the engravings)

BUT: it looks like the dial i get is this...

d44mmwtV1.jpg

mm44wtV2.jpg

so it appears there is no engraving to melt wax into.

SOOOOO, i guess, the next question is, where do i buy a sandwich dial like pictured above? i would REALLY like that type of dial, as i DEF want the writing. i have a freind who is working on making me decals, but he thinks it may be too small.

so, X, the dial you have in the pic, where can i order it??????

thanks again for all of your help!!!

we are gonna make me one KILLER PAM!!!

scope

If you check out Homage Forum there are a couple of guys making custom dials like this.

Luthier

That strap will not accept deployment buckle - too thick on the ends.

MikeMcNair

thaks luth, and scope, checking homage forum now!

Member X

We just want you to finish this so we can get some peace ;) LoL :lol::)

MikeMcNair

Ok, I won't ask anymore questions. Thanks for te help :/