Sign in to follow this  
Andy54

Seconds At Six ?

Andy54

Firstly an apology for asking questions that may have been answered a number of times.

Is a rep with the seconds dial at the 6 position at risk of a shorter life span because the movements available have to be retrofitted causing too much friction within the movement ?

Is a seconds "dial" at 9 a better option ?

Or do I have this all arse about face ? :D

I've used the search function for an answer for this question but seem to have come to a dead end.

Thanks

Andy

greg_r

Yes and yes.

Secs@6 on a watch running an A7750 (such as the Daytona) tends to be a timebomb (secs@12 can be troublesome too). That movement is designed to run secs@9 and is a lot more reliable in that configuration.

(note that there are a few non-chrono watches around with secs@6 that run different movements - 6498 or 21J - they're okay, it's just the 7750 chronos we're concerned about here).

Andy54

Thanks Greg. Would the same problem occur in reps with manual wind movements for example Asian 17J ?

I'm interested in vintage style "dress watches" as I'm not really much of a "sportsman". I have a 40's "boys" watch that my father gave me that has the seconds at 6 so I'd love a couple more larger examples. I'd like to make sure that any rep I get will be around for a while. From what I've read here so far I can't see why they won't be.

Actually my main passion is building acoustic guitars to designs from pre-WWII and electric guitars designed in the mid 1950's to the early 1960's. But that a whole other world of baffling details.

Edited by Andy54

Luthier
Actually my main passion is building acoustic guitars to designs from pre-WWII and electric guitars designed in the mid 1950's to the early 1960's. But that a whole other world of baffling details.

We need "Luthier's Corner"...

greg_r
Thanks Greg. Would the same problem occur in reps with manual wind movements for example Asian 17J ?

I'm interested in vintage style "dress watches" as I'm not really much of a "sportsman". I have a 40's "boys" watch that my father gave me that has the seconds at 6 so I'd love a couple more larger examples. I'd like to make sure that any rep I get will be around for a while. From what I've read here so far I can't see why they won't be.

No, as I said above, the issue is related to the A7750 only :D

Andy54

Thanks mate sorry about my lack of comprehension ;)

gottahaverolex

Seconds at 6 is asking for trouble bro, listen to Greg, it's a ticking timebomb. My Daytona is a red letter high beat seconds at six,it ran well for about a year and now is lucky to run for a full 24hrs without stopping. Crono is all fucked up too. STAY AWAY!!!!