Sign in to follow this  
MikeyMouseWatch

The one thing that bothers me about black face-plates

MikeyMouseWatch

Lately I've really started to like some of the Black face-plates in the Daytona replicas. However, the thing that bugs me the most is every damn time it's a replica, the Black seems to only show what poorer quality the watch is. I have NEVER seen yet where a close-up shot of one of these shows a clean face. You always see a lot of white specks and fuzz and who knows what else, even in the 400$ replica range. I just don't understand this...

Thoughts? I feel I won't even touch a replica unless I know I can manually try to clean the face myself.

mulder

You will find a lot of the photos are not professionally taken and dust is a problem even if it was just cleaned. I noticed that dust will appear in a photo when its not apparent on the watch when it is being taken. Mostly the dust you see is on the glass. Another thing to remember that most watches are only 40 to 50mm across yet the photos you view are 5 to 10 times bigger on your screen then the real thing hence enlarging any dust that is on the glass. Most times in real life you would not notice it.

greg_r

1. they're called "dials" :clap:

Go take a look at the wristies thread. You'll find plenty of shots of beautiful unmarked dials. Occasionally you might spot some dust on the crystal (usually on the outside - some of us can't be arsed to clean off the watch thoroughly before taking a snap) and yes, occasionally a watch comes through from a dealer that's not quite as pristine as it should be. It's not as common as you're making out, but it happens every now and then.

If you're expecting perfection every time, you're not going to get it - you'd better start saving up for gens if so. However, I currently own about thirty reps and not ONE of them had the problems you're describing here...

mulder

oris2.jpg

Heres a black dial that I think looks classy. Its from my Oris Carlos Coste

gottahaverolex

This is where I say buy some watch tools and learn how to take the movement out and clean the dust yourself. Sometimes it takes me 5 or 6 tries before I can get the dial perfect but the dust bunnies bug the shit outta me too ( hard to do on the first try without a sterile room). It's worth spending the time to learn how to work on reps, save yourself a lot of money and headaches, plus it's fun as hell!

MikeyMouseWatch

Believe me, I will try to learn a few things. But I've noticed that you never see dust-bunnies in the real Rolexes, it's one of those things that gives away the fakeness even if you have a perfected duplicate. Even in the blue-dial posted I can see a few.

Anyhow, one of my next purchases will be a back-remover tool. Now... hopefully I can put all the parts back together again when the time comes. *gulp

gottahaverolex
Believe me, I will try to learn a few things. But I've noticed that you never see dust-bunnies in the real Rolexes, it's one of those things that gives away the fakeness even if you have a perfected duplicate. Even in the blue-dial posted I can see a few.

Anyhow, one of my next purchases will be a back-remover tool. Now... hopefully I can put all the parts back together again when the time comes. *gulp

you never see dust in a gen because the are assembled in a sterile room with a vacuum sucking the dust particles out of the air. The Rolex watch school is right near where I live in Lititz, PA. You learn to build watches in a regular room but final exam is in a sterile room. Looks like a fucking operating room! Really cool!