Sign in to follow this  
SirDomino

How Accurate is an Asian 21 Jewel Movement?

SirDomino

I am curious as to how accurate an A21J Automatic self-winding movement should be.

How much time should it gain or lose per day?

Thanks!

AllergyDoc

Some are very accurate and some suck. My DSSD and ceramic sub from Lay are now losing minutes a day. Very disappointing. My SD from Mark is running great, as is my GMT II from Mary. From now on I'm buying the ETA or ETA clone.

Cynikal.Mindset

Any 21j I've owned has always been pretty damn accurate all the way from cheap ass 20buck no name watches up to my dssd from lay. They all keep good time and for this I really don't wanna spend more for a better movement when these 2813 have been pretty well flawless for me.

NFleischer

When they work, they tend to be pretty good IMO> I just found one of my original Rolex sub reps circa

1995. It hasn't been worn in years- started right up today and its running spot on. I'll post some pix soon- its a hoot.

I have 2-3 others, all run well- guess +/- 10-15 sec/day.

T9000

My only current Asian 21j (Omega PO) has lost about 30 secs over the past week. Pretty good, really.

greg_r

Ultimately, it depends on how well it's regulated and what sort of state it's in. I've had 21Js that were within CoSC standards and others that gained or lost a few minutes a day.

paulro

I have bought 5 watches this month. The quartz Regatta form Robert which is great is reallt accurate but a dssd and a Pam 203 are really poor at keeping ANYWHERE near the correct time. They are both way out with the Pam gaining 30 minutes in 3 hours!

Is it an easy fix to put it right?

alw

I´ve always been a little suspicious of A21j but my latest PO seems to be keeping in time very well. Of course I´m not counting the seconds, but if a mechanical watch isn´t off more than 30 secs/day, I´m not bothered.

alw
I have bought 5 watches this month. The quartz Regatta form Robert which is great is reallt accurate but a dssd and a Pam 203 are really poor at keeping ANYWHERE near the correct time. They are both way out with the Pam gaining 30 minutes in 3 hours!

They should be adjusted. If that´s not enough, maybe the movement needs to be demagnetized?

greg_r

The PAM either has something fouling the balance spring or it needs to be demagnetised (that's probably going to be a 6497 movement). Can't comment on the DSSD without more info though.

mspangl

ive only got 1 asian 21j movement in a watch.. it runs like a beast

incredibly accurate.. -/+ 3 secs a WEEK !

its built in a chopard mille miglia gt xl and its amazing

Slim

Well - an Explorer replica that I bought ten years ago gains about 25 seconds a day. My ReplicaMake DSSD gains about 10 a day, which is quite impressive I think. I'd be disappointed if any mechanical watch I owned gained or lost more than half a minute a day.

paulro

The PAM either has something fouling the balance spring or it needs to be demagnetised (that's probably going to be a 6497 movement). Can't comment on the DSSD without more info though.

So I guess I need to remove the back of the watch for both of these repairs.

How do you demagnetise?

I suppose there's information on the site somewhere?

greg_r

Any local watch repairer should be able to demag it for you very inexpensively and it shouldn't cost much to do. Just try and find someone local that doesn't mind reps. If that doesn't work then come back to us - would be worth your while asking advice from one of the guys who work on watches a lot - Trailboss, BrightLight or Sconehead

mspangl

just dissamble the mvt and take it to any watchsmith :lol: if u cant do that.. +1 to greg

SirDomino

So if an A21J is losing or gaining a minute a day or so, then it can easily be fixed via regulating it?

Are they relatively easy/cheap movements to service/repair?

Cynikal.Mindset

you dont generally repair them, you replace them. They can be purchased for like 15-20bucks

SirDomino
you dont generally repair them, you replace them. They can be purchased for like 15-20bucks

So how do you know which A21J model one has? Especially if it has a day/date function to ensure it is at the correct position, the crown/stem will fit, etc..etc..

also, where are typically the best places to buy them?

greg_r

Cousins and ofrei sell them. Unless there are complications involved, they're fairly generic.

Cynikal.Mindset

I know on cousinsuk you can search by size and what options the movement has and that would give you a rough idea or you could find out from the listing on said watch etc

I'm sure there is a more sure way in finding out what asian movement you have and need to replace it with

KeNnY

just a little update.. I thought also that I need regulate my movement, like AllergyDoc said "My DSSD and ceramic sub from Lay are now losing minutes a day. Very disappointing.", I got similar problem. I though that it is regulation problem, but now I wonder if it is something else. I moved the regulation pin and when it is on wrist it is gaining around 1-2 seconds per hour, but when it is sitting on the desk it looses 1 minutes per hour... SO it looks like a common problem of Lays Asian 21J ? I got from Mary, Submariner Asian 21J, and it keeps time excellently ! Now I wonder if I will not buy new asian movement.

KeNnY

small update, yesterday the watch was accurate for whole day, so now I don't understand, maybe IT needs to settle down or something lol.

dave47
I am curious as to how accurate an A21J Automatic self-winding movement should be.

How much time should it gain or lose per day?

Thanks!

Most of my rep collections are A21j's, and they all run very well & keep great time. I don't count the seconds (with I time hack with the atomic clock --www.time.gov) but minute-wise, they're pretty accurate. As others have said, it might be a matter of hit-and-miss.

JMO.

dave