Sign in to follow this  
movintage

Zodiac Astrographic

movintage

Greetings mates. While I don't own any replicas. I do find this hobby very interesting and still would like to share from time to time.

Here's my 1960s all original incl the bracelet Zodiac Astrographic SST. The STT stands for "split second timing" which equates to a high beat movt., 36,000 bph. Zodiac was one of the first Swiss manufactures to incorporate a high beat movt. This high beat allows the seconds red dot to orbit smoothly around the dial, mimicking the orbit of a planet or satellite, hence the name Astrographic.

Take note of the minute and hour hands. You notice that they aren't connected to the movt pinion. This was also Zodiac's venture to the mystery dial watches that were also popular of the time period.

image_zpsqyj8o81l.jpeg

ellistyle1

Interesting. I can certainly appreciate the design intent.

FunnyStarSystem

Very cool. That surely was a marked period of strong design and optimism, so many interesting gadgets from the beginning of the space age. Thanks for sharing!

Daffy

Anyone looking for one of these, Joe DiMaggio's personal version of this watch is up on Ebay currently. How often to you get a chance to own a cool watch from a hall of famer?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

fatarms

How do the hands work? I'm stumped.

FunnyStarSystem

^^Nice find Daffy. This Yankee fan approves but probably wouldn't buy something with "Reno" on it. Lol

Daffy

If you're serious... The hands are applied to multiple clear disks, which are attached to the pinion.

fatarms

If you're serious... The hands are applied to multiple clear disks, which are attached to the pinion.

Ahh, ok. Thank you, i really wasn't sure how that worked.