Sign in to follow this  
shutty

Hand coming loose - Chanel j12 ladies

shutty

I recently purchased a j12 and have found that the large hand comes loose, (edge drops to the dial and does not turn) I emailed the supplier and got no response, so decided to follow the instructions on here and with the right tools managed to very easily fix myself. (by removing the second hand and resetting the large hand back into place) All was good for a few weeks, but now it has happened again. I have searched the forum but not found any suggestion on how to fix the hand more securely. So would anyone be kind enough to advise. Is this possible or am I flogging a dead horse. (eg the smallest amount of adhesive possible or will this just gum the other hands up) Thanks.

Member X

I think it is possible to use a small amount of glue, but it's a delicate operation because you don't want it to get on the dial or in the movement, as you say!

You might be able to work on the hole on the hand - if you can make the whole smaller it will grip the cannon pinion better and should be more secure, but it's not a particularly easy job... It could be a job for a local watchsmith that's rep-friendly? ("My wife was bought this by a friend and it has great sentimental value, though I'm not sure how much she paid for it..." :lol:)

Who did you buy it from? I don't think they would take it back now you've worked on it, but they may be able to source new dial / hands if needed!

wizawuza

I've read "GS Cement" has been used.. not sure of a good place to get it though.

shutty
I think it is possible to use a small amount of glue, but it's a delicate operation because you don't want it to get on the dial or in the movement, as you say!

You might be able to work on the hole on the hand - if you can make the whole smaller it will grip the cannon pinion better and should be more secure, but it's not a particularly easy job... It could be a job for a local watchsmith that's rep-friendly? ("My wife was bought this by a friend and it has great sentimental value, though I'm not sure how much she paid for it..." :thumbsup2:)

Who did you buy it from? I don't think they would take it back now you've worked on it, but they may be able to source new dial / hands if needed!

Thanks, I can use the tineist amount of glue that I am not as worried about getting it on the dial etc, but lookng at pictures of how the hands sit on the watch and being a novice, I could not work out if I should put a touch of glue on the inside or outside of the centre part of the minute hand that sits on the watch. I dont want to stop the other hands turning, by gluing the centre stem up (whatever that centre stem bit is called) But based on your advice that making the hole smaller would grip better. (i dont think I am delicate/skilled enought to do that) if i try and put glue on the inside with say the tip of a pin, that would hopefully just provide the extra bit of hold i need.

any further thoughts anyone before i try.

i dont think it adds any value saying who i bought it from and the lack of reply, but it is from one of our popular suppliers on here who has a very good service reputation when purchasing, but from what i see not always as good following up on other requests etc and help etcf.

Dendo

You might be able to work on the hole on the hand - if you can make the whole smaller it will grip the cannon pinion better and should be more secure, but it's not a particularly easy job... It could be a job for a local watchsmith that's rep-friendly? ("My wife was bought this by a friend and it has great sentimental value, though I'm not sure how much she paid for it..." ;))

Thanks, I can use the tineist amount of glue that I am not as worried about getting it on the dial etc, but lookng at pictures of how the hands sit on the watch and being a novice, I could not work out if I should put a touch of glue on the inside or outside of the centre part of the minute hand that sits on the watch. I dont want to stop the other hands turning, by gluing the centre stem up (whatever that centre stem bit is called) But based on your advice that making the hole smaller would grip better. (i dont think I am delicate/skilled enought to do that) if i try and put glue on the inside with say the tip of a pin, that would hopefully just provide the extra bit of hold i need.

any further thoughts anyone before i try.

i dont think it adds any value saying who i bought it from and the lack of reply, but it is from one of our popular suppliers on here who has a very good service reputation when purchasing, but from what i see not always as good following up on other requests etc and help etcf.

What about just giving the part of the hand that fits onto the canon pinion a gentle squeeze with flat long nosed tweezers - might be you have to find these. A squeeze would stretch the metal a fraction and might give you more grip.

If you put the hand firmly in place and then apply a tiny spot of glue on the end of say an opened out paper clip to the part that fits the pinion, it would be less likely to foul other parts.

Best of luck and keep us informed.