Sign in to follow this  
ColdFusi0n

How many of you could actually afford a GEN Rolex

trailboss99

Especially when there are members here who would probably count your wealth as pocket change.

More true than most of you realise . . .

BadPickle

I myself have just lavishly purchased 2 sausage rolls, and I'm only gonna eat 1 of them.... I know, it's just MADNESS!!

Thank you Greggs, just for being there for me :wub:

19F136EB-9B90-4355-819B-1BE48A0FD5B3_zpspabpr6vl.jpg

D2CF4A73-A4E7-4B4A-820A-6D894C8B37A9_zpsgwmo46mw.jpg

Baldrick

Rolex......bah..humbug....pedestrian and mundane......paupers :lol:

APARNOLD9.jpg

APARNOLD8.jpg

image.jpg

Montbrillant05.jpg

BreitlingTransocean02.jpg

OmegaBroadArrow30.jpg

Chronos05.jpg

splke

fuck give us a bite ihave to go to the pound bakery (2 for a quid in there ) they are like replicas and you get the odd bogie or pube :)

RichardMiami

What is a "ROLEX"??

Never heard of 'em..............

Moondustesp

Who makes the best sub?

Baldrick

Not the Russians !!!

philippe123

x

trailboss99

Who makes the best sub?

The English make the bast sub, Astute class.

Cleebeauregard

A somewhat tired topic, but interesting from a sociology standpoint, as I think the real question is: "Why do people buy luxury goods?" Of course, there are many possible answers to such a question, but ultimately, assuming that one can "afford" such a purchase, I think it boils down to a fairly binary argument: either the purchaser genuinely appreciates the inherent qualities of the item-- fine materials and craftsmanship, precision, beautiful design, etc.-- or, consciously or subconsciously, he or she appreciates the presumed "status" that owning and displaying the item supposedly conveys.

This duality is easy to see in the marketing for many "luxury" items; it's also fairly easy to identify it here on the forum: there are members that buy reps because they want others to think they are genuine, and enjoy the "status" that they believe comes with owning a Rolex or other heavily "branded" watch without actually paying for one, and there are members that buy reps because they truly love watches, and reps give them the opportunity to explore and enjoy the entire scope of horology, past and present, without spending the equivalent of a mortgage to do so. Fortunately, I think the vast majority of members here, especially those that stick around for more than a few months, fall into the latter group.

philippe123

x

Cleebeauregard

A somewhat tired topic, but interesting from a sociology standpoint, as I think the real question is: "Why do people buy luxury goods?" Of course, there are many possible answers to such a question, but ultimately, assuming that one can "afford" such a purchase, I think it boils down to a fairly binary argument: either the purchaser genuinely appreciates the inherent qualities of the item-- fine materials and craftsmanship, precision, beautiful design, etc.-- or, consciously or subconsciously, he or she appreciates the presumed "status" that owning and displaying the item supposedly conveys.

This duality is easy to see in the marketing for many "luxury" items; it's also fairly easy to identify it here on the forum: there are members that buy reps because they want others to think they are genuine, and enjoy the "status" that they believe comes with owning a Rolex or other heavily "branded" watch without actually paying for one, and there are members that buy reps because they truly love watches, and reps give them the opportunity to explore and enjoy the entire scope of horology, past and present, without spending the equivalent of a mortgage to do so. Fortunately, I think the vast majority of members here, especially those that stick around for more than a few months, fall into the latter group.

Verry strange conclusion if you ask me :.........if you love watches....you buy reps ??????

Why doesn't one buy a cheap gen that looks like a high end than?

Why willing to have displayed the high-end brand name on a rep watch?

I Always assumed a truly watch lover went for the whole package..the outside but more importent ,the inside , the technologie behind it all.

Can't hardly say the movements are of that level to fall in love with.........

I had already 3 DOA , love was over very quick............

It's for the beauty of the watch going together with that little sparkle a gen has a lot off.......... :Thinking:

So why are you here on a replica watch forum? LOL.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment that reps don't have inherent beauty and even craftsmanship to them. I love my IWC 5007 V3-- it thinks it's an absolute marvel of Chinese ingenuity and the progressive rise of their manufacturing technology, including the decorated movement, for under $400. I get to enjoy about 90% of the pleasure of owning the gen, without spending close to $10,000. It's a personal choice for me, since I would prefer to have that $10,000 working for me in other investments. I think the same thing is true for many other exceptionally well-done reps; by the same token, I think there are genuine watches that are ugly as shit. I buy reps I like, because I like them, and for no other reason.

_DC_

I've heard Archie Luxury is a member here, he has a Rolex or two and he's not at all a dickhead :rofl:

DC

greg_r

I myself have just lavishly purchased 2 sausage rolls, and I'm only gonna eat 1 of them.... I know, it's just MADNESS!!

Thank you Greggs, just for being there for me :wub:

My pleasure :wub:

:rofl:

Chiquita Fanjita

Stu, you're a fucking maniac!!!

:rofl:

philippe123

[x

x

markeym3

Verry strange conclusion if you ask me :.........if you love watches....you buy reps ??????

Why doesn't one buy a cheap gen that looks like a high end than?

Why willing to have displayed the high-end brand name on a rep watch?

I Always assumed a truly watch lover went for the whole package..the outside but more importent ,the inside , the technologie behind it all.

Can't hardly say the movements are of that level to fall in love with.........

I had already 3 DOA , love was over very quick............

It's for the beauty of the watch going together with that little sparkle a gen has a lot off.......... :Thinking:

So why are you here on a replica watch forum? LOL.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment that reps don't have inherent beauty and even craftsmanship to them. I love my IWC 5007 V3-- it thinks it's an absolute marvel of Chinese ingenuity and the progressive rise of their manufacturing technology, including the decorated movement, for under $400. I get to enjoy about 90% of the pleasure of owning the gen, without spending close to $10,000. It's a personal choice for me, since I would prefer to have that $10,000 working for me in other investments. I think the same thing is true for many other exceptionally well-done reps; by the same token, I think there are genuine watches that are ugly as shit. I buy reps I like, because I like them, and for no other reason.

True,....I'm also into it because I like them all......unfortunately ......... But I like a gen one better.

Why? It has a soul .... you can feel it when you wear it or try it on....

The reason why I'm saving for a gen is that I hate the movements in the reps...Haven't been verry lucky with it. Also the machanics...f i : some reps have difficultys setting the hour.

When screwing the crown in, the hourmarker moves along with it....and so on...... :help3:

Have also some money "working" for me in other investments... going more down than up....So also no certainty here.........

Conclusion: Why not buying a gen. Perfect looks, perfect movement, perfect mechanics ..........

Still waiting for a Jacob and Co coming from China after sending it back 2 months ago................. :heli:

I think you have been unlucky with movements ,,, if I have a rep that i really like then I get it serviced , my missus' datejust (a 2836-2) runs as sweet as , after a trip to UK watch repairs ..

philippe123

x

philippe123

x

Genius

True, also when they come back from China they run perfect.

But speaking for me..I wouldn't buy a high end rep when the brand name wasn't on the dial.

Would you?

Yes and no.... A lot of us buy Steinhart for example many of which are a low end (for swiss auto) gen but a high end homage and on a par or higher price wise than most high end reps...

That said the steinhart i got I bought because they had scaled it up for the 21st century so whilst still a blatant Rolex homage I preferred the vintage look but not the size of the vintage rep

But looking at the inverse I wouldn't touch a low end rep without the branding on the dial... Parnis for example can fuck right off IMO

Nickfive

10000usd I have

lmao

such incredible input

by far my favourite post on this thread so far

Cleebeauregard

10000usd I have

:yoda:

elp

I wouldn't buy a high end rep when the brand name wasn't on the dial.

Well ... without the brand name it wouldn't be a rep :)