Sign in to follow this  
Dipdog

Servicing a never-before-serviced 7750

Dipdog

I have a 7750 in a Tag chrono replica. It's working fine, and I only wear it a couple of times a year, but I really like it. I've never had it serviced before and, because it's a 7750, it sounds like service is around $200. I payed around $300 for it, I think. I'm just wondering, if I'd like to keep it for awhile, would it be more economical to proactively service it now (I've had it for about two or three years), or wait and send it in for repair if it breaks or begins to lose time. I've read threads about servicing gens (do it), and servicing other reps (wait as the cost for service, replacement or repair is cheap). I'm just wondering about 7750s in particular, since they seem to be a little more finicky and a little more expensive to service? Thx

nunu78

if you really love the watch then wait till it breaks and then get it serviced. Replacing is not the option which is available all the time as certain models go out of the stock quickly then others.

splke

now show us a pic we like pics :)

but I would use it till it no longer works then I am sure someone on here will help you

BadPickle

I think you'll struggle to find anyone who'all service it anyway, unless you have already.

nunu78

If you are in CONUS then Vac will sort it out for you.

Dipdog

Well, sigh, I'm sure no one would be impressed but me :P

It's a Tag Heuer Carrera 1887 v2 replica. I'm so lame, I'm not even sure how to post pics, but my attempt below:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136701654@N08/

I just like it cause it's dressy and sporty at the same time. So I wear it when I wear a suit. Which is about 3x a year :P

I was just trying to figure out if it's more like an engine where you burn it out and you're kinda screwed. And/or if maintenance now might prevent it from breaking down for several years. Or if repair is not much more complicated than service, and you're better off waiting. Sounds like the consensus is latter. I am CONUS, and found a couple fellows on the site willing to work on 7750s

Very much appreciate your advice! Thx

Daffy

Follow the instructions in my sig below...

GenTLe

If you use it just a couple of times a year or so, it will take years to show any problem (providing you will not mess up the movement with improper usage) :)

Dipdog

My favorite watch

image.jpg

I'd have a sunset background or something, but impromptu ;)

Thank you all for your advice!

nunu78

Enjoy it often, mine says hello.

CF543882-54DC-4180-AD68-9A78A225CA52.jpg

Dipdog

Hahaha. Awesome!

nunu78

Another Tag 1887 on genuine leather.

BA5F45F4-8DFC-4D63-91E2-964FA37954B3.jpg

D8068FB9-3FF7-4C71-ACFF-CF47BA21DE5A.jpg

One more

89AE25D0-06F0-4821-91B9-3BCB7B6FE587.jpg

nunu78

And one more :)

F97EF081-8028-42A3-98DB-1F90BAC14D76.jpg

myaz

You wear it a couple times a year, $200 to service and $300 for a new one.

I've seen people comment here they've had 7750s for years but they avoid messing with them pusher things.

So you've guessed which way I lean. I'd buy another as a spare if still available or learn to live with a different one if the time comes.

Send it for pre emptive service to someone with skills anywhere close to SSteel by mistake and you'll wish you hadn't gone there.

nunu78

Serviced caliber 16 as had the problem with date.Works like a charm now.

75358655-984B-4925-95AB-88F1772BEA5F.jpg

nunu78

My Jeweller is 15 minute drive away from home, he don't want to work on reps but as now We are kind of a friends he work on my reps all the time.

Dipdog

I've never seen any of those. That white one is stunning. Now I've got something to go browse on night shift ;)

Dipdog

Myaz - I was kinda wondering that as well, forgot to ask. I'd imagine service can be as uncertain as the mechanisms themselves. Thx

nunu78

Myaz - I was kinda wondering that as well, forgot to ask. I'd imagine service can be as uncertain as the mechanisms themselves. Thx

you need to find someone trustworthy, in my case my calibre 16 was 4 years old and my watchsmith only charged me 90$ for complete service and while he was doing it he also changed all the blue screws with silver ones. As blue movement screws are one of the tells on these tags.

Edited by nunu78

nunu78
4DC476F0-76D9-46E8-87EA-E849E1C467AE.jpg

Dipdog

Sounds like you found a good shop! I haven't yet had the nerve to ask anyone locally if they'd be willing to take a look. Only just recently mailed out my first one for repair. It was what was at least advertised as a 2836, but I was informed that it actually turned out to be a high-beat 2816. Stopped winding altogether after a year. I sent it to Katt. He did a great job, and was very informative throughout the whole thing.

fatarms

Hold up, a few observations in this thread.

First of all, a service of an A7750 is about $200, a replacement Asian 7750 with sec@9 like this watch is about $130.

Secondly, the watch you have is the native Seconds@9 position which is the safest position for the seconds to be. @12 and @6 are the problem locations only solved by the jewel mods. The only thing you need to worry about with a Seconds@9 A7750 is making sure that you only set the date when the hands are set somewhere between 6 and 7 o'clock, just to be careful.

Dipdog

Fatarms - thx, both helpful to know. I wouldn't be surprised if I overpayed. This was the same dealer that sold me a 2816 advertised as a Swiss ETA 2836. Only just found out on repair when it broke after 1 year.