Sign in to follow this  
Global

Keyless Works Help

Global

Hi

I recently found Cybee's Keyless Works tutorial for which much thanks!

I am attempting to repair the KWs of two movements, one gen 2836.2 and one asian clone 2836.2. I have followed the tutorial religiously and ensured that all the bits are in the correct places and aligned as shown. I honestly cannot see that I have meade an error.

HOWEVER......

One of the movements will not allow the stem to enter despite pressing the relase button. Excessive force on the release simply dislocates the works again.

The other movement allows normal stem entry, the watch winds in position 1, postion 2 also winds but with slip, and position 3 does nothing.

Can anyone shed light on what kind of n00b mistake I might have made here?

Thanks!

Member X

This is a question for Brightlight! :Whistle:

sconehead

clear close up pics please...:Whistle:

RolexAddict
Hi

I am attempting to repair the KWs of two movements, one gen 2836.2 and one asian clone 2836.2. I have followed the tutorial religiously and ensured that all the bits are in the correct places and aligned as shown. I honestly cannot see that I have meade an error.

HOWEVER......

One of the movements will not allow the stem to enter despite pressing the relase button. Excessive force on the release simply dislocates the works again.

The other movement allows normal stem entry, the watch winds in position 1, postion 2 also winds but with slip, and position 3 does nothing.

Thanks!

??????

its not very complicated... simple mechanic, no mystic

position 1 is to wind (unnscrewed)

position 2 is not made to wind, its for date and the reverse for the 4th hand if installed

position 3 is for hours/minutes setting

I can figure what is vrong, but i need to find pics illustrating - is "illustrating" an english word to illustrate illustration ????

o.k I go to bed

Tressles61

May be a dumb comment but perhaps you are putting the asian stem in the eta and vice versa? They may not be entirely compatible.

KBH

If the stem slips while winding, that could be a faulty crown.

Global

Thanks so much for all the responses. I shall try to get some good pics as soon as I can.

Wrong stem? Hmmmm... possible!

i thought that the movements were pretty much part swappable, but I'll try, as I can still tell which stems are which. I'll feel really foolish if this is the problem!!!!

Thanks again.

Global
Hi

HOWEVER......

Thanks!

??????

its not very complicated... simple mechanic, no mystic

position 1 is to wind (unnscrewed)

position 2 is not made to wind, its for date and the reverse for the 4th hand if installed

position 3 is for hours/minutes setting

I can figure what is vrong, but i need to find pics illustrating - is "illustrating" an english word to illustrate illustration ????

o.k I go to bed

Just to clarify, I meant that postion 1 DOES wind, position 2, which should set date, does not set date but winds with slippage, and postion 3 which should set time results in free movement of thes stem with no effect.

Ska

Yeah we're gonna need photos mate.

Leroy

i think the lever (to free the stem) was pressed a little too hard.

Dendo
i think the lever (to free the stem) was pressed a little too hard.

Yeah good point - check that - press it and let it rebound and play with the stem back and forward as you do this. I have had some similar lack of function with the stem until it 'finds itself/finds the right position etc'.

Best of luck!

Global

I fixed them!!!!

I stripped them down again to take pictures and, for reasons I'm unsure of myself, decided to re-assemble with the stems in place. After re-assembly both watches wind and adjust fine. I can also (carefully!) remove and re-insert stems. I have NO idea why it was different this time but it was.

A huge thanks to everyone who read my post and chipped in with advice - it makes a huge difference to be able to talk over the issue and benefit from others' experience and skill.

Thank you. :)

Leroy

congrats! :)