Sign in to follow this  
childishthing

a gold-plated daily?

childishthing

Everyone: "Don't get a gold replica"

Me: "Why not?"

Everyone: "Just... no."

Well... my new watch shipped today, and so the countdown begins. Departed Hong Kong today via DHL Express, which I expect should make for a speedy delivery.

Purchased from Josh as per usual, a Rolex 228235. Now, I'm going into this with the intention/mindset of wearing it very, very rarely and trying to keep it completely scratch-free (within the limits of reality). I have no illusions about the weight being off, I expect it to be about 60-70g light compared to gen... but for appearance sake, I don't want the plating getting scratched or rubbing off.

Q: How many members here have long-term experience with wearing a gold replica? Any words of positivity?

Since I can't post my CQ pics, here are four different Day-Date models that I didn't purchase and are therefore irrelevant.

Rolex-Day-Date-40-Caliber-3255-ablogtowatch-hands-on-201.jpg

[Photo: ABTW]

carter23

Yeah super positive experiences here!

I joined this forum in search of rep gold info and as you summed it up all I found was "no stay clear".

Since joining I have owned 3 reps that have gold or are full gold. My datejust was two tone... wore it everyday for a month and not a single bit faded or left marks on my skin like rep jewelry.

I also had an aliexpress full gold submariner, and although cheap that held up really well and didnt fade apart from the clasp.

And the hublot which didnt fade either, apart from inside the clasp.

If you wear the daydate say 2 times a week, provided youre not sweating or have a shirt cuff constantly rubbing against it, you should be fine.

CedricWX

Never had a single problem EXCEPT with Rose Gold on cheap reps. That does tarnish because of the high copper content (never wears off though) Yellow gold, pink gold, light rose gold - no problem ever. I like cheap reps by the way, even though there is a strong element on this forum that thinks owners of cheap reps should be horsewhipped, or at the very least trolled to death.

Thelittleprince

I don't recommend rose gold on Ap reps because they tend to look dirty after a little while. As far as it wareing off. Don't worry about that for atleast a few years from my experience depending one what you get they don't ware off easily. Cheapie gold watches on the other hand is a different story. Just try not to sweat on them tho

childishthing

Yeah super positive experiences here!

I joined this forum in search of rep gold info and as you summed it up all I found was "no stay clear".

Since joining I have owned 3 reps that have gold or are full gold. My datejust was two tone... wore it everyday for a month and not a single bit faded or left marks on my skin like rep jewelry.

I also had an aliexpress full gold submariner, and although cheap that held up really well and didnt fade apart from the clasp.

And the hublot which didnt fade either, apart from inside the clasp.

If you wear the daydate say 2 times a week, provided youre not sweating or have a shirt cuff constantly rubbing against it, you should be fine.

Buddy... pics?

porschespeedster

It's not gonna (well, hopefully) chip off like a Canal St rep from the 80s...

It will just look tarnished/messed up after a cpl months.

I do know some members have had good luck with the at-home plating kits for getting the shine back.

childishthing

My watch arrived in the US before it left China ;)

Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG, Thursday, November 17, 2016 17:56

Departed Facility in HONG KONG, Friday, November 18, 2016 03:10

Cleared customs at LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA, Thursday, November 17, 2016 15:28

childishthing

Package delivered! Will post pics when I get home.

Genius

Good plating is generally pretty hard wearing.

And if it starts to fade it's generally on the bracelet, bracelets are cheap as fuck to replace.

And if it starts to fade on the watch head then fuck it it's a rep it was cheap as fuck and someone will buy it off you

Thelittleprince

Home yet?

stormtooper4

Still looking sharp with this one

xblw9hL.jpg

Edited by stormtooper4

Thelittleprince
Still looking sharpe with this one

xblw9hL.jpg

That's gorgeous !!!

porschespeedster

^^^^ yeah, that's nice!

and you got it on rubber so no issues with the bracelet looking ugly in 2 months.

childishthing

Home yet?

Soon! It's been killing me all day! My wife texted me at lunch time to let me know it arrived. I should have had it delivered to my office instead (which is what I normally do). Three more hours until I'm off work.

wowsasb

Really fascinated to hear the result... Im thinking about a rose gold Nautilus or PAM

stormtooper4

That's gorgeous !!!

^^^^ yeah, that's nice!

and you got it on rubber so no issues with the bracelet looking ugly in 2 months.

Yeah its pretty good , swim in it and no problems. EXCEPT The HE Valve fell off took me a while to get a replacement , think they need to be glued on

58UDpMn.jpg

otx0IdC.jpg

Edited by stormtooper4

childishthing

That's gorgeous !!!

^^^^ yeah, that's nice!

Yeah its pretty good , swim in it and no problems. EXCEPT The HE Valve fell off took me a while to get a replacement , think they need to be glued on

58UDpMn.jpg

otx0IdC.jpg

Looks very nice.

Two hours until I get home and open up my watch!

Thelittleprince

Still waiting for pics :P

childishthing

I love it! It looks GORGEOUS!

But, I JUST GOT HOME, so only a few camera phone snaps before I go to bed. I have an early day tomorrow.

30989227141_563fbdb34e_h.jpg

30735969850_3636b0d2cf_h.jpg

30294280204_c6a4496289_h.jpg

30296220173_cffac8aee2_c.jpg

31066950716_6cca94ad63_h.jpg

31102857225_cff0bfa0c0_h.jpg

31102829165_8d9d744d94_h.jpg

30960487612_92ece36a6b_h.jpg

30second YouTube video

WatchaholicMallorca

571BC8D5-C241-4A83-AD3F-4160A26CBA66_zpseoijkadp.jpg

Love this rep, no issues what so ever with plating. From my experience of doing research on gold reps is that most of the negative feedback is 4+ years old. I haven't been about here that long but I think the plating has probably improved considerably. I am playing with the idea of getting this in RG as well.

Thelittleprince

Love this rep, no issues what so ever with plating. From my experience of doing research on gold reps is that most of the negative feedback is 4+ years old. I haven't been about here that long but I think the plating has probably improved considerably. I am playing with the idea of getting this in RG as well.

Hows the bracelet on that?

Lagger

I had a full gold Noob Sub before and the plating quality was first class, picked it up for a deal on the forum, not an uneven bit anywhere, in fact it was that good Dchico decided to keep it the rat

WatchaholicMallorca

Bracelet is good, no complaints on my side!

Thelittleprince

Does it feel flimsy like the usual daydate jubilee bracelets? So tempted to get one

Edited by Thelittleprince

Genius

Does it feel flimsy like the usual daydate jubilee bracelets? So tempted to get one

I had one and it definitely didn't feel flimsy but did feel light but you will always have that comparing plated steel to gold